Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help w/ Removing buzz from recording [sample]  (Read 1557 times)

Offline beefstew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Help w/ Removing buzz from recording [sample]
« on: May 29, 2007, 05:09:26 PM »
I recorded a show a few weeks ago and finally just got around to post editing it. My mics were set up close to some lights that were giving off a nasty buzz *see sample* How can i get rid of this? I have Adobe Audition 2.0, Goldwave, and Audacity to work with. Any suggestions?

Sample -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/eu13nc
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: Help w/ Removing buzz from recording [sample]
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 05:38:33 PM »
well the noise is actually running a wide spectrum, about 1k to the top of the range, so using a noise removal plugin you can clean it up but the you're sacrificing your top end with it. 
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline libfab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 11:31:54 PM »
Actually the buzz has two main components: the harder to listen to is the high band 13000-17000 with frequent bursts of 16 000 after noise reduction. The low hum is less troublesome. With AA2 you have two options : the automatic click and pop eliminator gives good results but I got better with noise reduction. I attached the fft file which you can upload in the "noise reduction" window after unzipping. You'll get even better results by resampling the noise curve from a silent bit of the audio (with noise) --as your file did not have real "silence" in it I sampled the noise as I could. Other parameters should work fine, adjust them to your taste. You can preserve much of the spectrum up to 4000, it only gets worse above that. Then you'll probably wish to apply  a hard compressor to high frequencies above 12000 to limit them at -75dB (dynamics processing). Doing that, spectrum analysis shows that you still retain most of the dynamics of your file up to 8000 or even 10000.   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 03:31:42 AM by libfab »

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 04:04:13 PM »
thanks for the help!  :D
+Ts all around
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com