Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk about Oade mods....  (Read 20934 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Let's talk about Oade mods....
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 12:02:30 PM »
its been said that the wmod was tailored to the 480's. the bm does not suck however.

Of the UA5's Doug's Warm mod fits the 480 very well. It gives the 480's more around the middle so to speak.  I have a version of his Warm mod on my R4 Pro right now that in discussions with Doug I chose it because of the 480's specifically. .   Also many a good tape with 480's has come from MP2 > Oade modSBM1.

And no the Busman boxes do not suck and I hope from my previous posts that I did not imply that they did suck because they don't.  Just different flavors.

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 12:19:35 PM »

And no the Busman boxes do not suck and I hope from my previous posts that I did not imply that they did suck because they don't.  Just different flavors.

Actually, one could easily misinterpret by your previous statements, that in fact, you do think his mods suck.  2 examples

Personally I do not think that the Busman mods are anywhere near as sonically positive (is that even a correct phrase?) as the Oade mods. 

Assuming that your opinion of the exclusivity situation has possibly changed now you would be doing yourself an very big injustice by going with a sonically inferior unit.

Maybe you weren't implicitly implying that his mods suck, but that is what your statements convey. 

I'm sure you just mispoke/typed.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 12:29:04 PM »
I have owned the bm2 UA5, the P-mod UA5 and the Oade line SBM-1.  I now own the SCM 660

The bm2 UA5 sounded nice, but from a distance the p-mod would out-perform.  Stage-lip they sounded about the same...  I liked the p-mod better, but the bm2 was a good box...

I emailed busman a few questions about my bm2 box and he never responded.  Oade has talked to me on the phone several times at length and been very helpful.

The SCM sounds like nothing I have ever heard....  Can't wait to use it more...

It is cool that we have these people doing these mods.  Thanks Oade and Busman!

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 01:09:43 PM »
Maybe you weren't implicitly implying that his mods suck, but that is what your statements convey. 

I'm sure you just mispoke/typed.

Let me try and give a bad example but one that seems like what i'm trying to convey.

Pretend for a minute that the UA5's were cars.  Say the stock UA5 is a Ford Focus. To me the Oade UA5 is like a Porsche.  The Busman is like a Mustang GT.  Both are fast cars.  Both haul ass.  Both are better tuned than the Focus.  Neither the Porsche or Mustang suck.  But one certainly has the edge.   Either one you go with is still better than the regular ole Focus.   But again in my opinion the Busman mods don't hold a sonic candle to the Oade mods.  Again just opinion as I am sure there are many who would argue just the opposite.

I attempted to clear my statement up with Mark since he is a friend of Busman's but have not heard back so I assume things are alright.

To add to the Oade mods discussion let me shed a lttle light on what I have on my R4 Pro:

- Warm mod on channels 3&4
- Basic Concert Mod on 1&2

As far as I know I have the only Oade W mod on the R4 Pro.  There may be more now but at the time I got Doug's first R4 Pro and we both decided to try a warm mod on it.  I feel like the warm mod is a bit smoother than the warm mod I had on my regular R4 but its not as colored as the R4 W mod.  I use colored in a good way as that was the intent of the mod.  Neither of the Warm mods i've had are as strong as the Warm modded UA5's.  Personally I think the Warm UA5 is a smoker of a box especially with the 480's.

The Basic Concert Mod is pretty basic.   I for the most part always intended to use channels 1&2 as a digital input from the V3 at all times.  I've run the BCM once and did not notice any coloration whatsoever but did notice that it was able to handle high SPL very well.  Much better than I expected.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 01:45:47 PM »
It's a UA-5.

They're all Ford Focuses.  The Oade models just have leather seat covers and satellite radio.

:P
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 01:52:41 PM »
It's a UA-5.

They're all Ford Focuses.  The Oade models just have leather seat covers and satellite radio.

:P

:lol:
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2007, 02:10:21 PM »
I saw a Saleen Focus pass me on the parkway yesterday.  I was doing about 85mph, he went by like I was standing still...

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2007, 02:20:59 PM »
I saw a Saleen Focus pass me on the parkway yesterday.  I was doing about 85mph, he went by like I was standing still...

Probably had one of these in it:

Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2007, 02:23:32 PM »
IMO the oade fuel injection mod is spitty.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2007, 02:25:42 PM »
I have the Ford SVT Busman Turbo mod in my Ford Fusion, it will smoke that Oade bullshit....

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2007, 02:38:40 PM »
I used to kick it with a stock pinto, then I got several mods.  Here's the evolution of the pinto mods.  I actually prefer the 3rd mod.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2007, 02:41:06 PM »
I used to kick it with a stock pinto, then I got several mods.  Here's the evolution of the pinto mods.  I actually prefer the 3rd mod.

I dont know buff...that mod4 looks cleaner with slightly better balance.  should be able to run that from anywhere
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2007, 02:42:22 PM »

I dont know buff...that mod4 looks cleaner with slightly better balance.  should be able to run that from anywhere

I agree......T+'s around.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2007, 03:00:01 PM »
I told ya'll that it wasn't the best of examples but things have gone in a new direction in the thread for sure.  Pretty funny stuff.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2007, 07:36:18 PM »
thanks for the replies
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com