Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620  (Read 120898 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2007, 03:25:11 PM »
Unlike the Endirol R-09 you can't view record time remaining and record levels on one screen.  Also no lights out operation after a timeout period while recording.  But perhaps the pre-amps and/or internal mics are better, etc....?

I saw that too.  Looks like you have to press some buttons to see record levels, and even that displays for only 2 seconds.  That's need to set the level indicator as the default screen when recording.  I could care less on how much time is left on the card, cause I already know that.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2007, 06:27:30 PM »
You can switch from levels to time remaining to time elapsed by pressing the display button...

General first impression:  definitely a bit sturdier in construction than the Zoom H2 or Edirol R-09.  Switches in particular have a more solid feel.  Use is very intuitive (like the other two) and the one-touch recording is nice.  There is a feature for automatic level adjustment, but I haven't had time to check it out yet.  Smaller than either the H2 or R-09.  The power switch is automatically disabled during recording and the key lock can disable all buttons during any operation.  The internal speaker is (predictably) tinny, but might come in handy from time to time.  LEDs can be turned off, and the screen has brightness from 1 - 10...1 is pretty dim, and probably not noticeable from a foot or two...

There is an addendum to the manual that lists somewhat different specs. than the manual (see link to manual in earlier post)...

I will post a pic. next to the H2 later on if I can find a free moment.

Offline seabrook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2007, 07:35:21 PM »
The reviews start to pour in!  Here's another from another forum:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/30684

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2007, 08:59:11 PM »
Interesting that it goes beyond 2Gb continuous recording size.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2007, 01:35:33 AM »
OK, as promised, here are some side by side photos with the Zoom H2.  I apologize for the crappy photos; I had to borrow a camera and do it quickly.  Also had to compress the images to post them.  But they give a pretty good idea of the size.  The PMD620 is a bit shorter (height) and narrower (depth) but quite similar in terms of width.

Also, I confirmed that the maximum file size exceeds 2 GB.  I just ran it until the file hit 2.25 GB and then stopped it.  Seems to have recorded until then...

As I am traveling (I came State-side for Thanksgiving), I have been unable to really test the sound quality as of yet, but the internals seem comparable to the Zoom or R-09...

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2007, 07:00:34 AM »
Please post info about signal levels for 0dBFS for mic and line in at maximum and minimum gain.

BTW: Noise versus frequency graphs are also interesting! (Inputs loaded with 1000 ohms 1% metal film resistor)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2007, 08:07:48 AM »
I'm sure sometime soon the reviews are going to start rolling in on this little unit.  Lets see if it turns out being a winner.

Then hopefully someone will open it up and hack the hell out of it (if needed).  >:D
Did you look at the audio specs? If they're not on the conservative side we need hacks.

620's very small size and 'looks to be sturdy' build should make it a carry-it-everywhere favorite in any case.

My loaner is arriving next week for doing a tech review. Got a good feeling about this model for no known reason.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2007, 11:47:13 AM »

In that review, he says...

Handling noise is evident in the recording when the internal mics are
used, as one might expect when the mics are less than 2 inches (50 mm)
away from the controls. Less expected is a pronounced "click" added
to the recording when the control button for mic gain is pressed.
This is true with internal or external mics. Disappointing!

That sucks if true, someone should test that ASAP.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2007, 05:42:09 PM »

In that review, he says...

Handling noise is evident in the recording when the internal mics are
used, as one might expect when the mics are less than 2 inches (50 mm)
away from the controls. Less expected is a pronounced "click" added
to the recording when the control button for mic gain is pressed.
This is true with internal or external mics. Disappointing!

That sucks if true, someone should test that ASAP.

On mine, the click is quite noticeable with the internals.  With an external, I can't hear it at all...And that is with very little background noise (quiet room). 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 06:41:13 PM by cosmic23 »

Offline seabrook

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »
I wonder if the internals are simply hearing the mechanical gain switch clicks?  Or is it electrically induced?  Significance: for a loud show mechanical clicks would be masked by the music.  However internal electrical clicks would probably always be heard.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2007, 02:06:03 PM »
I wonder if the internals are simply hearing the mechanical gain switch clicks?  Or is it electrically induced?  Significance: for a loud show mechanical clicks would be masked by the music.  However internal electrical clicks would probably always be heard.

Definitely mechanical...

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2007, 03:03:45 AM »
My loaner is arriving next week for doing a tech review. Got a good feeling about this model for no known reason.
Any updates?
A detailed review could help us very much!

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2007, 10:13:42 AM »
Tucked inside a discussion of the Zoom H2 on the Transom.org forum are comments about the PMD620 by Jeff Towne, Transom's resident gear reviewer.  Here are excerpts taken from Jeff's comments

...When using external mics, the noise level and overall sound quality is SIGNIFICANTLY better than any of the other small flash recorders I've tested...

...the Marantz 620 sounds very good with external mics of any kind, even dynamic omnis, much cleaner than a stock 660, or either of the Zooms...

...larger recorders, specifically the Sound Devices 722 and the Tascam HDP2, still sound better than the 620, but those are much bulkier, and more expensive...

...there's a latency in the headphone monitoring. That is to say, while recording live sound, there's a slight delay in the headphones....

...the ergonomics of using the device are mostly very good...

...there are some issues that make it irritating to use...

The comment in full is found here:
http://talk.transom.org/WebX?50@340.AiPmaCmCbYM.1@.eeb7816

Jeff's full review is promised soon.

Flintstone

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2007, 11:13:19 AM »
Any updates?
A detailed review could help us very much!

I have received a loaner PMD-620 two days ago, started some testing, and written a start of the review that's not yet ready for first view.

This review wil eventually be posted at: www.sonicstudos.com/pmd620rv.htm

Here is a preview of starting general text and some bench tests.

Introduction:

The PMD-620 model is MARANTZ's latest digital portable recording deck model. The PMD-620 is unique for a Marantz portable for being quite small, stylish, moderate priced, and easy to operate only after some practice with extensive preset menus having two different non-intuitive select buttons.

MOST Unique to portables is having three identical preset menus each with two dozen setup categories to customize. In opposition to a Sony MD deck forgetting settings when turned off, the PMD-620 remembers everything! These presets are both deck stored, and on the flash card! Presettings are flash-card transferable to ANY OTHER PMD-620 using the PRESET SAVE/LOAD menu functions. This unique feature is most welcome to media departments dispensing many identical field recorders to casual recordists needing to successfully operate the recorder with little or no prior experience.

PMD-620 features include 4x2.4x1" shirt-pocket-size, 2 AA disposable alkaline/NiMH rechargeable battery giving ~ 5 hours portable power, 2 sec fast boot-up, near instant shutdown. Also small size, but easy to read OLED display similar to Roland R-09. Some low-noise, and some audible tactile 'transport' and control buttons are mostly recessed type so less chance of actuation while pocketed, but I found somewhat hard to find without looking. Record/pause/stop deck response is very quick.

Shipped with firmware A1.00 installed, there are no firmware updates as yet, or seem needed as PMD-620 tests out to be fully functional for up to 192 MP3, and 24 bit, 44.1/48K wav resolution recordings. Preset Menu on/off controlled 4.4 volt MIC powering works for most electrets using direct connected 'plug-in-powering' input feature.

PMD-620 LINE input connects directly to more featured, higher performance external MIC preamps with up to +16 dBu (= +13.8 dBV = 4.89 Vrms) maximum output.

User MENU process is fast responding wrapping type, but a bit UN-intuitive to understand at first.

The three identical Preset lists seem way too tedious with 24 categories to make operating choices, at least at first. And learning the appropriate choice of two push-for-select function buttons is at first confusing. Preset selection process needs practice, and seems quickest with TWO HANDED THUMB operation.

------end of text preview-----

Recording level working adjustment range is limited to -25 dB to 0 dB with all MIC input modes, and -21 dB to 0 dB in LINE input mode.  Going to <-25 dB MIC, and <-21 in LINE modes to reduce VU levels may result in deck input clipping distortion.

Below are some of the test graphs and model views:

Let me say the above graphs at least show me, as compared to other flash decks tested/reviewed, the PMD-620 is a VERY GOOD adequately low noise deck for its size and cost.  More testing to verify frequency response and other matters to appear in the full review. 

NOTE: There is NO usual H/M/L switch setting for changing the MIC/LINE input sensitivity, instead these functions are INSIDE the presetting menu as ATTENUATION SETTINGS (highest sensitivity mic input gain) 0dB, (M) -12dB, and (lowest sensitivity input gain) -24db selections.   And yes, this is a bit confusing at first.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:30:21 AM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline suini

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2007, 11:22:31 AM »
is there a repeat function??

cheers

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com