Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620  (Read 120906 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2007, 11:34:48 AM »
is there a repeat function??

cheers

I think to have read of several choices for repeat function with dedicated front panel button fully described  in the owners manual .pdf found linked on this page: http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4313&CatID=19&SubCatID=188
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2007, 12:51:36 PM »
My loaner is arriving next week for doing a tech review. Got a good feeling about this model for no known reason.
Any updates?
A detailed review could help us very much!

Let me say the above graphs at least show me, as compared to other flash decks tested/reviewed, the PMD-620 is a VERY GOOD adequately low noise deck for its size and cost.  More testing to verify frequency response and other matters to appear in the full review. 
Thanks very much!
This info gives already very good insights.
Noise appears comparable (almost) to R09 performance.
The biggest difference are the PMD-620 peaks in the noise graphs.
For me they spoil the fun a bit; in practice you might not hear them?
(could they be fixed somehow?)

Offline suini

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2007, 01:58:23 PM »
[quote guysonic=guysonic]I think to have read of several choices for repeat function with dedicated front panel button fully described  in the owners manual[/quote]

..its a skip button so no repeat? ??? ??? :o

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2007, 03:44:29 PM »
[quote guysonic=guysonic]I think to have read of several choices for repeat function with dedicated front panel button fully described  in the owners manual

..its a skip button so no repeat? ??? ??? :o
[/quote]

You're right, NO repeat!  On re-reading there is a skip back (time is menu selectable to up to 60 seconds).  There IS a COPY section function that makes a new file of a selected portion of an existing recording without changing the original, and this is what I was thinking was a repeat, but not good for auto repeat, only manual repeat of the copied portion.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2007, 06:07:34 PM »
MOST Unique to portables is having three identical preset menus each with two dozen setup categories to customize. In opposition to a Sony MD deck forgetting settings when turned off, the PMD-620 remembers everything!
The HHB PortaMic has similar multiple preset saving features, I believe.  I get the feeling that this Marantz is targetted at the same kind of market and maybe that's where that feature comes from... 

Market positioning is also indicated by lack of 24/96 (though useless IMHO) and lack of higher mp3 bitrates.

You are correct about the Sony MD decks forgetting some settings when turned off but more recent Hi-MD models such as the RH-1 do not suffer from that problem.

Offline mfoley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2007, 07:04:46 AM »
One thing that impresses myself is the build construction...at least from the appearance from the outside.  As one who has spent the last thirty years in the aviation industry (and its attention to engineering accuracy), this thing looks well built.  I was so disappointed when I opened my H2 box...and discovered a unit that look cheap/poorly built...whereas the 620 looks like a professional piece of gear....

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2007, 07:48:34 AM »
The H2 looks much more robust when painted black!

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2007, 11:24:35 AM »
So... for the noobs that dont understand all those graphs  :-X .... is this any better than the R09?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2007, 01:05:57 PM »
The H2 looks much more robust when painted black!

You may be on to a good thing here.  Have you done this?!?  :o  I'm also thinking somebody good at masking/spraying might easily try this and post a few views  :smoking2: 

Side panels would need new white-on-black durable laminated function labels as now silver background black lettering would disappear. Any BROTHER PC-connected similar label printer should make short work of this.

:angel: I could offer the label program file like done for the MT1 VU dB, or just mail a few already printed by SASE requests.

:coolguy: KRYLON BRAND has very good spray product for indoor/outdoor plastic called FUSION FOR PLASTIC.  I've used on my mic WHB/N windscreen headband accessory.  No spraying the deck's windscreen I think to preserve internal mic reception. This might be dappled instead with flat or satin finish?

My favorite was the 'black textured' for looking very cool with a great non-slip grip, but got one back from 3 years intense all-day soundwalks for service with paint melting from hair oils !!!   :sick: 
So I stopped using this for sometime, but think not much an issue for painting small handheld deck?

So... for the noobs that dont understand all those graphs  :-X .... is this any better than the R09?

While the 620 seems similar to R09, and for me harder to learn than R09, direct comparison of noise spectrum performance might need new graphic to clearly see details.   And as with most decks being nearly equal, the better noise performance is sometimes variable between the decks depending on recording input mode being used.  With LINE input mode using external preamp, these two look nearly identical. 

And then there's the build quality, with Marantz 620 being made in Japan, and not China like most these days.

Offline mfoley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2007, 01:24:12 PM »
being built in Japan should be the deal breaker for anyone...as just about everything coming out of China is pure crap....

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2007, 01:32:48 PM »
being built in Japan should be the deal breaker for anyone...as just about everything coming out of China is pure crap....

If that were completely true, then we pretty much wouldn't have any electronics or computers as I'm nearly 100% sure the computer you wrote that comment on wouldn't exist without China. But vague generalities aside, I understand what you're saying...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2007, 01:37:30 PM »

Just looked at my R09, "Made in Japan"
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2007, 01:38:17 PM »
Thanks for the line-in noise graphs! I'd love to hear an A/D comp between this and the R-09, if anyone has both...

Offline mfoley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2007, 01:48:58 PM »

If that were completely true, then we pretty much wouldn't have any electronics or computers as I'm nearly 100% sure the computer you wrote that comment on wouldn't exist without China. But vague generalities aside, I understand what you're saying...

My original statement still stands....China is unloading crap on us...and were gullible enough to buy it as all we want cheap prices...  ;D

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2007, 01:52:32 PM »

My original statement still stands....China is unloading crap on us...and were gullible enough to buy it as all we want cheap prices...  ;D

And my point still stands, which is that pretty much every single piece of electronics you own China has touched at some point. Bash 'em all you want, but keep that in mind as you do...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com