Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620  (Read 120895 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2007, 03:53:46 PM »
Questions of national origin aside, the PMD620 DOES feel substantially more solid than the H2 or R09.  And the buttons and switches are much nicer...

But it would be interesting to see some side-by-side performance comparisons, like bgalizio requested!  I guess you can assume it is pretty similar (performance-wise) to the R09, given that Marantz has priced and positioned the 620 to be a direct competitor, but you never know...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 04:01:19 PM by aaronji »

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2007, 04:48:18 PM »
(I'll start a new topic re black H2 soon - too OT here).

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2007, 10:00:56 PM »
Questions of national origin aside, the PMD620 DOES feel substantially more solid than the H2 or R09.  And the buttons and switches are much nicer...

But it would be interesting to see some side-by-side performance comparisons, like bgalizio requested!  I guess you can assume it is pretty similar (performance-wise) to the R09, given that Marantz has priced and positioned the 620 to be a direct competitor, but you never know...

The 620 does give a feeling of better build, and the metal front face certainly helps convey this impression. 

However, even though sporting 'made in Japan' moniker, these days many inside components/sub-assemblies often have origins elsewhere than country of manufacture.

It does seem that Japan has consistently better manufacturing Quality Control procedures in place.  This gives better chance of products having more 'refined' design implementation (fewer bugs, better as-manufactured performance quality), and thorough manufacturing QC testing before being shipped. 

I'm reminded of how the Microtrack (made in China) was shipped with untested firmware with obvious flaws like having the L/M/H switch functions reversed, and some other issues needing many firmware upgrades installed by the customer to finally get right. 

And then there's Roland's 'made in Japan' R-09 shipped with those infamous 'break-away-input-jacks', but otherwise typical of a well designed and tested product needing very minimal firmware refinement.

Of course, as usual with making generalizations, there's always exceptions, so not 'set in cement' as always true in every case.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline rdvdijk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2007, 01:50:10 PM »
So, what's the best price on this? Can't find it lower that $399 on after some lazy googling..

Seen it around EUR350 here in Europe, I think.

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2007, 04:35:52 PM »
So, what's the best price on this? Can't find it lower that $399 on after some lazy googling..

Roel

yes, around 350€ in europe.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/master_stereo_recorder.html
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:40:04 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2007, 09:43:49 AM »

Roel

Given the exchange rate right now, (buying one at $399 would cost about 270 euro) it might be best to order from the US and have it delivered to someone there and then re-ship it...I got mine while in the States and I was pretty surprised when I saw how many fewer euros disappeared from my account (compared to dollars)!

Offline rdvdijk

• Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2007, 11:06:16 AM »

Roel

Given the exchange rate right now, (buying one at $399 would cost about 270 euro) it might be best to order from the US and have it delivered to someone there and then re-ship it...I got mine while in the States and I was pretty surprised when I saw how many fewer euros disappeared from my account (compared to dollars)!

This is exactly what I'm trying now, asking a board member here >:D It'll save me about 80 euro's.

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2007, 02:30:09 AM »
But you have to add shipping, customs and VAT if you want it delivered to The Netherlands (from your profile)! EUR 357 from Thomann with shipping to The Netherlands. In the end you will save nothing...

Offline rdvdijk

• Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2007, 03:37:41 AM »
But you have to add shipping, customs and VAT if you want it delivered to The Netherlands (from your profile)! EUR 357 from Thomann with shipping to The Netherlands. In the end you will save nothing...

Yes, I know, trying to do something 'smarter' than that. But thanks for the heads-up.

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2007, 10:28:52 AM »
guysonic,

Do you think you'll try this "on the field" any soon?  ;D

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2007, 10:21:50 PM »
guysonic,

Do you think you'll try this "on the field" any soon?  ;D

This Friday there's an acoustical harp/violin performance in an extremely live room, this is where I've recorded before at White Horse Coffee Company; see Celtic 'MOLLYS REVENGE' session at www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm

I can use as a testing session for internal mics, external mic input, and external preamp line input session. 

I'll post the results if happening as hoped. 

Only hitch is it's my wife's birthday, and she hates the place and likely will not attend, so I dunno if the loss of domestic 'piece-of-mind' is worth it.  May have to look for an opportunity bearing less personal risk.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2007, 02:16:59 AM »
Only hitch is it's my wife's birthday, and she hates the place and likely will not attend, so I dunno if the loss of domestic 'piece-of-mind' is worth it.  May have to look for an opportunity bearing less personal risk.

Don't kill your marriage for our sake! ;)

But I too am curious for a field test.  I have been scouring the web for a show I find even moderately interesting and local, but it looks like it will be a few weeks...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2007, 06:53:42 AM »
While killing the time waiting for an opportunity to test the PMD620 "in the field", I did some interesting experiments.

First, I checked all of the SD cards I could round up, in various sizes (256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB) from several manufacturer's (SanDisk, Lexar, and unknown).  Some of these are quite old.  All worked perfectly.

Next, I took the smallest of these SD cards, and recorded to the end to see what happens when a card gets full.  The PMD620 properly closed the file and it (the file) worked fine.

I also looked at maximum file size.  I recorded on the 4 GB card until the recorder stopped due to a full card.  The result:  a 3.78 GB file.  I spot checked this file, including around the 2 GB mark, and it is a continuous file with no problems.  It would be nice to check with an 8 or 16 GB SD, but, at least for the 4 GB, there is no effective file size limitation (this is just under 4 hours at 24/48).

I was also curious to see how the unit would respond to a power disruption.  Using a pair of older batteries, I recorded til they died.  The recorder gave a little note, and then cleanly shut down the file.  I also tried pulling a battery, and pulling the AC adapter cord, while it was recording; in both cases, turning the unit back on gave a "restore" message and the files were fine.  Lastly, when pulling the adapter with batteries inserted, the recorder shifted from socket to batteries with no troubles.

So, in short, some of the issues others have experienced with 2 GB maximum file sizes, seamless splits, or SD cards appear not to be problems with the PMD620.  In addition, it handles power problems well...

Now if I could just find a good show to go to...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 06:59:03 AM by aaronji »

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2007, 09:00:03 AM »
well
nothing bad - or really bad - about this unity until now
let's see how it works on the field

thank you guys for testing this

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2007, 03:06:34 PM »
The things I would be motivated to let go of cash for are #1- 24 bit with good line-in, and #2 - a decent mic input pre-amp.....

Build quality seems good here, how about the above.  Otherwise, I still love my h-140.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com