Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4061 with DMM0008 clips question  (Read 2300 times)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
DPA 4061 with DMM0008 clips question
« on: May 28, 2008, 03:04:21 PM »
I feel silly asking this, but does anybody know how to attach the 4061's with the locking clips (DMM0008) so they face out to the sides of the head? This would be on the sides of a baseball cap, just forward of my ears. The clips seem perfectly oriented to face the mics forward, but don't appear to be adjustable so I can turn the mics outward.

What do you guys do when taping binaural, use a hat or something else?

Offline indietaperwloo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DPA 4061 with DMM0008 clips question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:36:13 PM »
Either mounted to a hat (a baseball cap works best) or you can clip them on the front of your glasses if you wear them.  If you want to talk to someone about wiring up a hat, talk to illconditioned.  I'm actually using one of his hats with a pair of Sennheiser KE4-210-2 measurement mics which sound awesome when run through a HiMD or Edirol R-9.  The HiMD I use for quieter stuff as it has a better analog stage than the R-9 but for loud shows I like the R-9 because I don't have to use a battery box.
I think illconditioned actually has some clips of the DPA4061's on his website if you want to hear what they sound like.  I think he also recently did a mic comparison thread on here and the DPA's might have been included in the lineup.  I know the KE4's were in that lineup too and I used one of his KE4 hats to record KT Tunstall at the Danforth Music Hall in Toronto on Saturday and even though I was on the far right-hand side of the theatre, I still got a pretty awesome take.  The stereo image leans a bit to the right but not by much so you barely notice it.
illconditioned's website is www.soundmann.com and look for the clips with the DPA's - they're clearly marked.
Portable 2 track:
Sennheiser MKE2 (HRTF) > Edirol R-09
AT822 > Edirol R-09
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF/XY) > Presonus Firepod > Edirol R-09

4 Track Open Rig:
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF)/FOH Feed > Edirol R4

FOH:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > dbx 215 Graphic EQ > Behringer PMX2000 (Power Amp Section) > Behringer B1220 Mains

Multitrack:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > Tascam DA-38 w/Burr Brown Op-amps

Out:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro > Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > ESI nEar05 nearfields OR AKG K99 Headphones

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
Please jump in and correct me if I am wrong but I don't think you will notice any difference in sound whether or not you have your 4061's facing forward (like human eyes are oriented) or facing outward (like a fish's eyes are oriented) . The omni directional aspect to the mics is going to capture as much of a 360 degree field as possible with your head being a baffle regardless of the way the mics are pointing. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:28:26 PM by perks »
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline Petrus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:53:54 PM »
Miniature omnis like DPA 4061 are as omni as omnis can be. Just take a look at the polar patterns published on DPA web pages. That means it does not matter anything which way they are facing on your hat, the sound will be the same.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:38:56 PM »
Please jump in and correct me if I am wrong but I don't think you will notice any difference in sound whether or not you have your 4061's facing forward (like human eyes are oriented) or facing outward (like a fish's eyes are oriented) when the mics are clipped to a hat. The omni directional aspect to the mics is going to capture as much of a 360 degree field as possible with your head being a baffle regardless of the way the mics are pointing.  So clip the 4061's to your hat just above your ears and be done with it. At least thats what I do.

Well, with all due respect, I'm afraid that this is not 100% truth. It does make a diference the way the mics are pointing. Yes, omnis's polar pattern is 360, but if you don't point them to the sound source, the higher frequencies will sufer some degree of loss in your recording. I'm not an expert, but this is what happens. Same thing with cards: they reject most of the sound coming from the back and from the sides, but they do NOT reject all the sound coming from the back and the sides. Hope that helps. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Petrus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 03:54:12 PM »
There is only 3-5 dB dip in 16kHz-20 kHz response when capsule is facing backwards. 20-16 kHz is perfect ball +- 1 dB. There really is no reason to try to point these mics anywhere.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 10:57:33 AM by Petrus »

Offline jadg2

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trading Site
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 04:46:56 PM »
Just clip them onto the top of your jacket or collar.  Not familiar enough with DPA terminology to identify the clips that you're referring to, but should work fine.  Higher the better obviously.  Lol at Moke.  True, not wisest idea to discuss the exact nature or specifics in a public forum, but come on, if you're going to stealth with any mics, you'd choose the dpas.  They're so tiny man, I can wear them on the street before a gig..

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »
FWIW, Moke developed his current level of sensitivity through the school of hard knocks....as a mod at TS.com.  People were busted at shows cause of info posted here. 

Go figure, people really do use Google.

Not all tour managers, artists, labels, lawyers are sympathetic to our archival interests.

Joe

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com