Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Olympus LS-10 Recorder  (Read 46394 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Olympus LS-10 Recorder
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »

@spyder9: What do you base "very noisy and thin sounding" on?

I've owned the Zoom H4, Marantz PMD620, Sony PCM-D50, Tascam DR-1, Edirol R-1, and Edirol R09.  IMO, the R09 sounds best, followed by the 620 as a close 2nd.

Click the link below and check out the samples.

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-sound-samples.html

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2008, 07:02:58 PM »

I've owned the Zoom H4, Marantz PMD620, Sony PCM-D50, Tascam DR-1, Edirol R-1, and Edirol R09.  IMO, the R09 sounds best, followed by the 620 as a close 2nd.

SLUT!   >:D   ;D

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2008, 10:00:35 PM »
 :lol: :turnevil:

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2008, 12:59:58 PM »

Seems to me you had a Tascam HD P2 for a while...based on the list though, I think it was an honest oversight.  8)
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »
True, but the P2 is a full size recorder.  The above are handheld recorders.  Totally different animal(s).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:59:57 PM by spyder9 »

Offline jboyzh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2008, 02:42:10 AM »

Not much to argue against this list :-) and I also understand what you mean by checking wingfieldaudio. It's true IMO that the internal mics of the LS-10 do sound quite bright. For classical concerts, I use an external mic anyway which yelds some deeper sound. Compared to other handhelds, I don't think noise is an issue with the LS-10 however.

After all, I can hear sound character and noise depend more on the mic than the recorder itself; check those samples:
http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable-recorder-noise.html
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:34:44 PM by jboyzh »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2008, 09:51:45 PM »
The DR-1 sounds pretty good in those noise samples.  Warmest sound of the bunch.

To add, where can I get one of those FEL 3.5 thingamabobs in the States?

http://www.felmicamps.co.uk/products/fel3.5series.html 

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2008, 07:43:36 PM »
LS-10 measurements. These were taken from the headphone output of the recorder I will post tests of the actual wav files when I get around to making them. There are clearly issues with using the mic input as far as  low frequency response is concerned. I think they limited the low end of the mic input to prevent overload of the built in speakers...That's my theory anyway.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2008, 05:42:17 AM »
I think they limited the low end of the mic input to prevent overload of the built in speakers...That's my theory anyway.

I think it's more that the LS-10 is a small recorder that will often be used outdoors for interview work and the bass roll-off was put in to minimise wind and handling noise.

Either that, or that was the circuit compromise they had to do to maximise battery life - ie: putting in a full frequency response mic. pre. required components with a higher current drain.

That's my theory anyway.

If the answer was the former, I wish they had made it switchable.

Oh - thanks for the graphs, by the way, very useful.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2008, 08:00:28 AM »
I think they limited the low end of the mic input to prevent overload of the built in speakers...That's my theory anyway.

I think it's more that the LS-10 is a small recorder that will often be used outdoors for interview work and the bass roll-off was put in to minimise wind and handling noise.

Either that, or that was the circuit compromise they had to do to maximise battery life - ie: putting in a full frequency response mic. pre. required components with a higher current drain.

That's my theory anyway.

The other thing I found out is the line input is at unity gain when the input level is at 10. I have been trying to get a schematic from Olympus but no luck if I can see the schematic I might be able to see where the HPF is in the circuit and remove it. I think if the bass roll off can be fixed it would be a good thing. It might be firmware based. But I am thinking its a few caps.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2008, 10:26:28 AM »

That's my theory anyway.

The other thing I found out is the line input is at unity gain when the input level is at 10. I have been trying to get a schematic from Olympus but no luck if I can see the schematic I might be able to see where the HPF is in the circuit and remove it. I think if the bass roll off can be fixed it would be a good thing. It might be firmware based. But I am thinking its a few caps.
In 4 hours I´ll tape a show using the internals/then dpa4061 on mic-in with bbox and plugin-power OFF/and the 3rd part of the show on line-in.
To get an idea how this unit´s internal bass-roll-off(internals and mic-in) works with "bassy" DPA mics. Might be a wanted roll-off using 4061s. Nevertheless you can boost low-frequenecies in post. I guess mic-in´s sensitivity won´t have any problems also at loud rock shows with low-sens DPA 4061s.
3 samples to come tomorrow.... ;).
I recorded from Radio on LINE-in yesterday and had to use gain 7 (of 10) for levels peaking at -1.

Chris, how do you like the ls-10´ look and feel? ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:32:51 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2008, 10:47:51 AM »

That's my theory anyway.

In 4 hours I´ll tape a show using the internals/then dpa4061 on mic-in with bbox and plugin-power OFF/and the 3rd part of the show on line-in.
To get an idea how this unit´s internal bass-roll-off(internals and mic-in) works with "bassy" DPA mics. Might be a wanted roll-off using 4061s. Nevertheless you can boost low-frequenecies in post. I guess mic-in´s sensitivity won´t have any problems also at loud rock shows with low-sens DPA 4061s.
3 samples to come tomorrow.... ;).
I recorded from Radio on LINE-in yesterday and had to use gain 7 (of 10) for levels peaking at -1.

Chris, how do you like the ls-10´ look and feel? ;)

Its a very well built unit I would not use the mic input I would use the line input.. And then put the bass roll off after. Its extremely quiet I am going to be selling the one I have because I have done the tests I needed to do with it but its a nice recorder. I suspect this recorder is built by Panasonic not Olympus there is so many Panasonic parts inside its not funny not to mention the fact it came with Panasonic batteries. I would say its one of the best little recorders out there its got a great vu meter with good ballistics.. You can rely on the metering system. And the battery consumption is amazing No need for an external pack with this baby for sure atleast 10 hours on a single pair of AA's

Chris

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2008, 05:22:09 PM »
Just returned from my 1st testrun with the ls-10.
Small club and a rock/blues band was playing.
I started with dpa4061+bbox on MIC-IN, after 1 hour I switched to line-in but only for a short period - as supposed not enough output from the 4061s ...pushed the level to max. 10 and still peaks at only -20 to -16.
Then I switched to internal mics for some minutes and went home :) .

Conclusion: with dpa4061 the internal bass-roll-off of the ls-10 is perfect :) on mic-in.
For big arenas with higher SPLs LINE-IN (without roll-off) might be an option with 4061-alike low-sens mics.
Of course high-sens mics like dpa 4060ies or sp-cmc-8 should work fine on line-in, which is really quite INsensitive ;).

The internals sound fine too and the roll-off is really not too bad at and easy to boost in case you think it should be more.

Amazing low noise on all 3 tests.

sample 1: 24bit/44.1kHz => mp3 256kbit/s VBR lame 3.8
dpa4061+bbox on mic-in
LS10-dpa4061_bbox on mic-in.mp3 - 3.08MB

LINE-IN sample 24bit 44.1kHz =>mp3 256kbit/s VBR lame 3.8
normalized
LS10-dpa4061_bbox on LINE-IN.mp3 - 3.13MB

INTERNAL Mics sample: 24bit 44.1kHz=>mp3 256kbit/s VBR lame 3.8
ls10-internal mics-lowsens-lowcutoff-normalized
http://www.zshare.net/audio/2023444371cdd7f7/
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 06:26:38 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2008, 05:25:54 PM »
Small club and a rock/blues band was playing.
I started with dpa4061+bbox on MIC-IN, after 1 hour I switched to line-in but only for a short period - as supposed not enough output from the 4061s ...pushed the level to max. 10 and still peaks at only -20 to -16.
Then I switched to internal mics for some minutes and went home :) .

Conclusion: with dpa4061 the internal bass-roll-off of the ls-10 is perfect :) on mic-in.
For big arenas with higher SPLs LINE-IN (without roll-off) might be an option with 4061-alike low-sens mics.
Of course high-sens mics like dpa 4060ies or sp-cmc-8 should work fine on line-in, which is really quite INsensitive ;).

The internals sound fine too and the roll-off is really not too bad at and easy to boost in case you think it should be more.

Now you need a preamp and you will be at 0 :) with the line input :)

Chris

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2008, 05:32:22 PM »

What about the high noise ( the recorded music  ;D ;D)?
Amazing too?
Let me know and take care, my friend.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:33:56 PM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com