Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording rig  (Read 2045 times)

Offline panther65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
recording rig
« on: August 24, 2006, 08:43:51 PM »
I've just pulled out my D8 after about 8 years, and found that tapes won't load anymore. Upon investigation, I've found that technology has marched on. I'm looking for a deck and microphones for stealthy applications. Would someone please suggest a deck and mic setup for me. I've looked at CoreSound and Oade Bros. Sounds like the DPA 4061's paired with an Edirol R9 would be a nice combo. Oade also has Schoeps CCM4LG mics paired with several different mic setups. I mainly record bluegrass/acoustic music in intimate theatres, but also record some loud amplified concerts (Phil Lesh & Friends etc.) Any help would be appreciated.
Schoeps MK4>KCY250/5I>Schoeps VMS 5 U>Tascam HD-P2

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: recording rig
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 09:06:44 PM »
i can highly recommend the Oade Bros. Advanced Concert Mod Marantz PMD 660. $850 will get you the recorder and a 4G CF card which will allow for over 6 hours recording time. this sweet little box is a pre-amp/a>d convertor and recorder all-in-one. just add mics! if you can afford the schoeps, go for it. call Doug at Oade Bros. and tell him what you have in mind and he will steer you in the right direction. good luck!
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 10:35:55 PM »
i can highly recommend the Oade Bros. Advanced Concert Mod Marantz PMD 660. $850 will get you the recorder and a 4G CF card which will allow for over 6 hours recording time. this sweet little box is a pre-amp/a>d convertor and recorder all-in-one. just add mics! if you can afford the schoeps, go for it. call Doug at Oade Bros. and tell him what you have in mind and he will steer you in the right direction. good luck!

$850 for a 16 bit recorder is a lot of money...If you had that amount I would add a bit more to get the R-09 with the MMA6000. If you plan to get DPA 406Xs make sure you get it from the right place...If you get HEB you will have problems upgrading your mic preamp to MMA6000 because coresound remove the mini connectors. But if you think you will never upgrade HEB will be okay. So I would think forward/future rather than present.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 10:48:11 PM »

$850 for a 16 bit recorder is a lot of money...If you had that amount I would add a bit more to get the R-09 with the MMA6000. If you plan to get DPA 406Xs make sure you get it from the right place...If you get HEB you will have problems upgrading your mic preamp to MMA6000 because coresound remove the mini connectors. But if you think you will never upgrade HEB will be okay. So I would think forward/future rather than present.

well, the recorder itself is $750($100 for CF card) and it blows away alot of the much more expensive combos that i've heard. i used to run Mini-Me>DA-P1(over 2k combined) and the ACM660 blows those tapes away. keep in mind, the ACM660 isn't just a recorder. it is a HQ pre/a>d as well. YMMV ;)
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline panther65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 07:07:15 AM »
Are there any places where I can find shows recorded with any of the options you have suggested ie. Edirol 09 w/DPA4061 or a Core Sound package w/HEB? I'm familiar with archive.org, but can't find the combos I'm after. Thanks for all of the replies and help! Also, what does the 09 sell for?
Schoeps MK4>KCY250/5I>Schoeps VMS 5 U>Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com