Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Do I need an A/D?

(1/10) > >>

blu666z:
This may be a very newbie question but you have to learn sometime.  I run my mics into my battery box(levels, rolloff) and then onto my minidisc.  How much would I benefit from an A/D and then on to the optical in on my MD?

-Kevin

jpschust:
you would benefit more by upgrading from your md

blu666z:
I have thought about it but don't think the quality difference is worth it and I just spent $200 or so on a deck so I can do my own conversions.  Hate to waste that.  Th only thing that is a pain is the flip and I have only had a problem with that one time during a moe. show.  They just wouldn't stop!!

-Kevin

jpschust:
well kevin, heres the thing, the quality that you would be getting out of an outboard a/d will be negated by the atrac compression of the md.  you are going to be losing a lot of the benefit you might otherwise get.  if i was gonna spend 200 bucks or so on upgrading my rig id first work on mics, then deck, then pre and a/d though some will flip the last part of that around... if i was in your shoes i wouldnt see the extra cash as justifiable.

Brian Skalinder:

--- Quote from: jpschust on April 03, 2003, 04:20:31 PM ---if i was gonna spend 200 bucks or so on upgrading my rig id first work on mics, then deck, then pre and a/d
--- End quote ---

IMO, this is good advice.  I agree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version