Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

ISO recommendations for broadband modem/wifi for use with xfinity

(1/2) > >>

Justy Gyee:
planning to buy a new modem/router for the new internet service.
any suggestions  :shrug: so many options, so little knowledge of these devices.

DavidPuddy:
We have the 1,000 mbps plan and just use the xfinity gateway with a mesh system. I originally bought an Arris SB8200 but would not get an upload speed over 4mbps (Even after a "tech" visit), so we tried the xfinity gateway and all's been good.

TP Link M5 mesh is what we use for access points.

Justy Gyee:

--- Quote from: DavidPuddy on August 13, 2020, 03:23:56 PM ---We have the 1,000 mbps plan and just use the xfinity gateway with a mesh system. I originally bought an Arris SB8200 but would not get an upload speed over 4mbps (Even after a "tech" visit), so we tried the xfinity gateway and all's been good.

TP Link M5 mesh is what we use for access points.

--- End quote ---
thanks for sharing your experience

voltronic:
I have Xfinity 300mpbs service.  I use the Arris Surfboard 6183.

If you have a gigabit plan, the Motorola MB8600 is a good choice.

For a router, I have used TP-Link Archer AC1750 routers for years.  They are cheap and reliable.  To give them a massive upgrade you can flash them with DD-WRT firmware, though this is not the easiest task.  Range is not outstanding though, so I had 3 of them in my house, with two configured as access points.

I recently replaced the main AC1750 with an Archer AX10 and have been quite happy with it so far.  It's the least expensive WiFi6 router I know of, and if you have devices that operate on that new standard (most newer phones, for example) you definitely get better range out the 5 GHz band.

Justy Gyee:
thanks volt!  :coolguy:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version