Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ready to chunk my preamp....HELP!  (Read 4963 times)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Ready to chunk my preamp....HELP!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 02:11:21 PM »
Regarding how much gain to get from the iRiver, don't even think of setting the iRiver's gain to the max. Many have said here that you start to hear noise after +10 or +15. The gain after +24 is digital gain, so you don't ever want to use that. You'd be better served to boost in post on your computer.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies. The thing that makes most sense is that the mics are starved for power, and are brickwalling at loud shows. If they in fact require 6v, and the preamp is putting out less than 5v, and I only experience this at loud shows, I think that's it. Makes sense to me.

I really want to get back to a simpler rig, anyway....I don't record that often, and just want my mini-stereo terminated mics > battery box > recorder setup back. I am trying to see what Chris can do, maybe trade-in the mics and preamp for a set of his cards (he modified my mics and put mini-xlrs on 'em when I got the preamp).
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 05:08:11 PM »
I would suggest that you try your current set up either at a show or VERY close to a loud speaker.

as far as simplicity, all you have done is move the gain knob from the recorder to the box....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com