Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-680 MKii  (Read 93319 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Tascam DR-680 MKii
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2017, 08:56:25 PM »
The update to 1.20 was great. I use the gang volume setting often.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2017, 09:00:38 PM »
I just checked, and I have 1.30 on my 680. 1.31 must have not been available yet. I don't use that machine as much since I got the 680MKII (I've only used it when I need more than 8 tracks), but I haven't had any problems.

Offline rumbleseat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »
Back to the backlight behavior...  This discussion has been confusing since two different behaviors have been described for the DR-680 MKII.
GLouie said that the backlight in his unit shuts off at the menu-designated time whether running on AC or batteries, but lukpac and Gutbucket have posts that seem to say that the backlight stays on with AC but times-out on batteries.

(Apologies if I misrepresented your positions - as I said, this is confusing!)

I have two of these units.  Both are running the most recent firmware, 1.02 build 0043.
Both exhibit exactly the behavior that GLouie described - that is, the backlight menu determines the behavior and there is no difference whether the unit is on batteries or AC.

Are we all talking about mkii units with firmware 1.02 0043?

I agree that a new feature that allows independent backlight options for AC and battery would be useful for some.  Personally, I run the TalentCell battery pack at festivals and do not want the backlight on all the time, so the current setup is OK with me...
AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2017, 10:10:04 AM »
Back to the backlight behavior...  This discussion has been confusing since two different behaviors have been described for the DR-680 MKII.
GLouie said that the backlight in his unit shuts off at the menu-designated time whether running on AC or batteries, but lukpac and Gutbucket have posts that seem to say that the backlight stays on with AC but times-out on batteries.

(Apologies if I misrepresented your positions - as I said, this is confusing!)

I have two of these units.  Both are running the most recent firmware, 1.02 build 0043.
Both exhibit exactly the behavior that GLouie described - that is, the backlight menu determines the behavior and there is no difference whether the unit is on batteries or AC.

Are we all talking about mkii units with firmware 1.02 0043?

I agree that a new feature that allows independent backlight options for AC and battery would be useful for some.  Personally, I run the TalentCell battery pack at festivals and do not want the backlight on all the time, so the current setup is OK with me...

Correct about my unit, but as noted, I'm still running the original firmware. The behavior was apparently changed in 1.02. Odd that it's not mentioned in the release notes, and that there's no mention of 1.01.

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2017, 10:09:12 PM »
Yes, Lukpac is running the old firmware, which he didn't realize at first. Thus, he has the old behavior. With Rumbleseat's report, my guess is that Gutbucket is also on old firmware.

This looks like a Tascam "mistake", hence no mention in the release notes.

I once caught Sound Devices turning off dither on 16 bit recordings after a 722 firmware change, and they changed it back quickly with another firmware change. It pays to be vigilant and speak up to the manufacturers.

Offline rumbleseat

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2017, 10:29:39 PM »
Thanks for clearing this up!

Hopefully Tascam will please both sides with separate options for AC and batteries.  I agree that having the backlight stay on while running with "AC" is a great option.

Thanks again!
AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »
Quick question as I'm about to join team 680mkII.  Do I need to order any extra cables to connect this battery to the 680mkII? https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-11000mAh-14500mAh-26400mAh/dp/B016BJCRUO/ref=pd_sim_421_9?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016BJCRUO&pd_rd_r=339XM945V5TVC7G549K6&pd_rd_w=cKqeP&pd_rd_wg=khccJ&psc=1&refRID=339XM945V5TVC7G549K6

I'd prefer to order everything at once, if I do need to order a separate cable.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2017, 02:14:20 PM »
Per this chart the dr-680mkii needs:

Tascam DR-680mkII / 12v / Size C, OD 4.75mm x ID 1.7mm Center Pin (+) Ring (-)

The cables listed w/ the battery are all 5.5mm x 2.1mm  so you'll need to get a cable that's 5.5mm x 2.1mm on one end and 4.75mm x 1.7mm on the other.  Amazon sells adapters if you want to use that route but personally I avoid adapters.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2017, 03:03:53 PM »
Per this chart the dr-680mkii needs:

Tascam DR-680mkII / 12v / Size C, OD 4.75mm x ID 1.7mm Center Pin (+) Ring (-)

The cables listed w/ the battery are all 5.5mm x 2.1mm  so you'll need to get a cable that's 5.5mm x 2.1mm on one end and 4.75mm x 1.7mm on the other.  Amazon sells adapters if you want to use that route but personally I avoid adapters.
This with some electrical tape could help if you go that route...

https://www.amazon.com/PHC-RC-x1740C1-Barrel-Converter-2-1mm/dp/B009AZ84YA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1502477963&sr=1-3-fkmr0&keywords=4.75mm+x+1.7mm+barrel+connector
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #174 on: December 14, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »
TL;DR: How easy and quick is it to change file names and reinitialize takes on the 680?

Long version:
I'm thinking about picking up one of these. My taping rig has been the HD-P2 for at least 10 years now but I actually use it more for work these days, which is running sound for various film/video productions. I've always liked the timecode/video sync features, but with Plural Eyes software now, not many productions mess with timecode anymore. I would still use the P2 if recording a concert with video (due to drift issues on such a long continuous take), but that's not an issue on most of the stuff for which I get hired (takes are usually no longer than a few minutes).

So, right now I use 2 different setups when working on a film... when we're on a set I use a laptop/interface setup and Boom Recorder software which allows for quick and easy naming of files/metadata with scene, shot, take info, etc. When we're in the field I use the P2, and while there's no metadata, what I do is create a new project from template for each shot (labeled with the scene/shot number) and then the unit automatically increments the take, starting with 00 with each new project/shot.

So my question about the 680 is how easy is it to do file naming for each new shot (as compared to my workflow on the P2), and how does that relate to take incrementation? I browsed through the user manual and it seems like it might be a bit convoluted (user presets, reinitializing takes)? There usually isn't that much time between finding out what the shot number is and the start of a take... the last thing I want is the crew waiting on me while I'm setting filenames. But asset management is very important when you're dealing with the number of files that your average day's production generates. A 680 could easily replace the P2 as a field recorder as well as my laptop setup for use on sets, albeit at the expense of quick and robust file naming/metadata. As long as it's not too cumbersome to get the pertinent info stored quickly, it seems like the way to go.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #175 on: December 15, 2017, 08:36:35 AM »
Someone else will have to answer your file question, but if there was a touchscreen enabled recorde that allowed you to type in file names, that would be helpful.  Or if you could connect to the recorder and enter file names via your phone. 

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2017, 11:27:31 AM »
Someone else will have to answer your file question, but if there was a touchscreen enabled recorde that allowed you to type in file names, that would be helpful.  Or if you could connect to the recorder and enter file names via your phone.

Tascam hs-p82 is touchscreen and allows you to type in filenames, etc using a popup "keyboard" like interface

I am sure there are many other newish recorders that support this - SX-R4+, probably MixPre-3/6/10, SD 633, 644, Roland R-88, Zoom F4/F8, etc
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »

Tascam hs-p82 is touchscreen and allows you to type in filenames, etc using a popup "keyboard" like interface

I am sure there are many other newish recorders that support this - SX-R4+, probably MixPre-3/6/10, SD 633, 644, Roland R-88, Zoom F4/F8, etc

Yeah, I drooled over the p82 for a bit, but certainly out of my price range and too heavy for field work in a shoulder bag. So if we eliminate decks that don't have digi in and are not in the same price range as the 680 mkii, what's left?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2017, 08:00:59 AM »
Curtis judd says you can input file names on the mix pre 6 via Bluetooth or by connecting a usb keyboard.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=piomdez4iSM

How important is digital input to you? 

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #179 on: December 16, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »
How important is digital input to you?
Very. I use a V3 for my primary shotguns and the extra channels would be for lavs and supporting cards. Also, for concerts or anything with more than a few minutes per take I would use the P2 to sync to the video camera to avoid drift and then slave the 680 to the P2. I could even feed a timecode into one of the 680's inputs and apply it using davinci to sync with the p2. But that wouldn't really matter if i had drift.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com