Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Naiant x-x as boundary

<< < (2/2)

Gutbucket:
With a small, lightweight microphone such as you are asking about, gaffer taping it directly to the surface with the micrphone laying parallel to the surface generally works with minimal effort.  If SPLs are high it might be beneficial to put something thin yet compliant under the microphone to prevent rattling if the surface starts vibrating.  I sometimes put a strip of gaff tape flat on the surface first, then position the microphone, then add another strip of gaff-tape holding it down atop the other piece.  The tape on the boundary surface protects both the surface and micrphone from getting scratched, and cushions the microphone enough to eliminate vibration against the surface.  If that's a significant concern you could use a couple strips of tape or even a thin piece of neoprene.

carpa:
@DSatz and @Gutbucket,

I appreciate your explanations very much. I finally understood in a few words what I couldn't figure out googling quite a bit.
You are a true source of inspiration. I'll give a try to some possible configuration and hear the results.
carlo

Limit35:
I have used these mics in this setup before, they sounded quite nice. Naiant sells a handy surface mount for the X-X at $29.00 a mount, although Gutbucket's suggestions are the way to go for infrequent use or on walls. If I used them on stage more often I would get the mounts to weight them down a bit and not worry about tape lifting up. They are good little mics.

Gutbucket:
This can be a good strategy on a column in a good position in the room, placed either on opposing or adjacent sides depending on the size and shape of the column and its orientation.  With a larger column it may be beneficial to shift both mics closer to the front edge or corner to achieve the correct overlap between channels.  With a round column consider its diameter in relation to a person's head.  If the same size or smaller mount on opposing sides, if larger diameter, shift them towards the front somewhat to reduce the spacing and acoustic shadowing.

I once did that with a 4 channel arrangement of miniature omnis  on a column I had previously assessed at a small music venue. I placed one microphone on each side of the square column, which was about 16" wide. The microphones, wiring, small recorder and preamps (2 x CA-Ugly > tascam DR2d) were all fixed using a couple long strips of industrial-grade velcro.  It was quick and easy to setup by simply wrapping the velcro strip around the column once then adjusting the positions of the microphones as needed before making a second wrap to secure them and the in place.  No wire runs down the column, and I was able start and stop the recorder from a few tables away using the IR remote. I made sure the red record LED on the top of the DR2d was visible for visual confirmation from my table.  This made for a very nice boundary/baffled L/C/R/S arrangement in a near optimal location.  The folks who had reserved the seats at the table surrounding the base of the column showed up after I'd set up and departed just after the concert ended and never noticed it just over their heads.  Worked out really well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version