Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Thoughts on adding additional mics?

(1/2) > >>

drewloo:
I'm thinking of adding another mic (or two) to the pair of TL-51's that I use via the RCA inputs in the back of the UA-5.  I have some AT transistors and PS-1's to power whatever I use, but I'm trying to decide if it would be best to add a similar mic, like another TL-51, or try a different brand of mic altogether.  I'm thinking of basically just adding one mic and run it mono to both channels as a center mic and use the other two as I normally would, like DIN or ORTF.

I've seen mentioned that when assembling a surround sound stereo system it can sometimes be bad if the front speakers have a different timbre than the rear ones, so I'm guessing it would hold true for recording microphones as well.  On the other hand, I could see how a different brand of mics might be able to compliment the mics I have now if they are particularly strong in an area where mine are not.

Anyone care to comment?

thanks,
Drew

Craig T:
what are you trying to accomplish by adding mics?  is there something about your current setup you don't like or think is missing?

Kindguy:
Well, I'm going to try this out real soon. I'll post the results.

480's / single ADK TL > Warm UA-5

sexymexi:
different mics and whatnot have different styles of sounds i guess you could say, but yes, its nice to have 2 that are the same for a more identical stereo phasing, but i've seen people on here runnin 3 mic mixes, i've done shows with different mics just to see how it works.. it didn't sound bad, but could have been better..

matt

drewloo:

--- Quote from: Craig T on November 20, 2003, 10:59:16 AM ---what are you trying to accomplish by adding mics?  is there something about your current setup you don't like or think is missing?

--- End quote ---

Well, I'm pretty happy w/ my current setup now.  Just want to try it and see how it sounds.  I do like the bottom end of most AKG mics so I might throw one of those in the mix.  

Drew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version