Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Jerry Garcia 75th Birthday - Red Rocks  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
Jerry Garcia 75th Birthday - Red Rocks
« on: April 30, 2021, 11:20:23 AM »
Hey all,

I attended the Jerry Garcia 75th Birthday show at Red Rocks a few years back with my old man and my brother. My dad is a Tulsa native who managed to attend 168 Dead shows while Jerry was alive. So, I guess I'm a second generation taper. Dad taught me what he knew (he used Nak 300s with Shotguns into a Marantz three-head deck).

Anyways, I recorded the aforementioned show and taped it using my trusty Edirol R09 and my chopped Nak 300s that I purchased on TS years ago now. I consider it to be one of my better, large, outdoor venue recordings.

To the point now. I have enjoyed listening to the recording as-is. But I have never tried to "do anything" to it in post-production to, I don't know, improve it? Clean it up? Get the most out of it?

I wondered if there was anyone here on the TS that would be willing to take a look? Maybe help me out a bit? Offer some feedback maybe?

My dad and brother love the recording (for nostalgia if nothing else), and I really wish that I had the skills to know what I was doing in post production so that I could see if I could improve it somehow.

I also do not understand what needs done to post this dude to the Internet Archive. If anyone can help me with that...I'd be very Grateful!

I have the recording on my Dropbox account...and I think that might be the easiest way to share it with any interested parties.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Jerry Garcia 75th Birthday - Red Rocks
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 11:24:06 AM »
I'll take a look at it and tell you what I'd do?
I usually use zero EQ and compression, but I do use gain and a mastering limiter.
You can PM me the link if you don't want to post it here.
Welcome to the site, not too many legacy tapers that I know of!!

I can also assist with archive.org prep and uploads if you have specific questions after browsing and searching this site.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 12:25:18 PM »
Thanks Morst! I've PM'd you!
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 04:54:52 PM »
Find a good 5 band parametric EQ VST/plugin, and a good multiband compressor for your audio editor/DAW.

Most good DAWs will have these already. There are mastering bundles like Ozone and Waves that have these.

Take it EASY with both as less is more IMO.

Experiment and learn...there are tons of tutorials on how to use each on yootoob.

Good luck!

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline morst

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 06:06:34 PM »
Thanks Morst! I've PM'd you!
Levels look good, I can't add more than +1 to +3dB gain, without it being way too much.
I'll take a listen after Jazz Festing In Place stops for the day.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 07:56:36 PM »
I learned by just messing around with some EQ and light compression.

The KEY to post production is to take your time. Once you *think* you have something you like give it a break and come back and listen to it later. Ears get tired, so it's important to listen again after you've had some time to not be listening to the same recording over and over. Frequently when I come back to the recording I find out I need to pull it back a notch (although sometimes I'll add more too).
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 05:39:30 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone!

Offline morst

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 07:07:31 AM »
Just took a quick listen to Peggy-O and If I Lose.

Headphones and speakers seem to reveal that the image is off to one side or the other. I wonder if reducing the stereo width might help make it more ... solid?
That could be accomplished by duplicating channels, summing to mono, and then mixing the mono in with the original two channels. Also lots of other ways, I'm sure.
Mono ain't always so bad. And Red Rocks is among the most challenging venues to pull off a "normal sounding" recording, what with the wind and the changing weather and the reflections off the rocks!?
I have not made much effort to work on stereo image issues on my own recordings, other than in regards to trying to control mic configuration and aiming at the event itself, and listen and learn from each outing.
I hope that other folks weigh in on how you might remedy an overly wide or slightly off-center stereo image.

reference: Charlie Poole and the North Carolina Ramblers doing If I Lose
https://youtu.be/MG62O_72YDM

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 07:29:43 AM »
Interesting. I've never really contemplated this idea of "stereo image". And I need to learn more about aiming the mics as well. Dad had a very set formula that produced listenable, if not entirely "optimal" results.

That sounds like quite the gyration to work through. Though, since the files I shared are tracked, would you be able to show me what it would sound like on just one track so that I could compare the results?

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 04:17:53 PM »
Hi Mr. Fantasy. EQ is very effective for recording correction and improvement. It is best to start with a simple setup. This way you can train your hearing and try more complex settings later. But even a simple setting can bring great improvements. I like to use the 'tilt' eq. There are only two parameters. Or you can also try 'band' eq, I think 3 or 5 bands are enough for beginning. Usually no big gain changes are made when a simple eq is used. I mostly make changes of 1, 2 or 3db. Maybe more but it depends on the specific case. For more complex settings when specific problems are fixed, the gain can be greater. Here on the forum you will find tips on what to focus on when making more complex settings. Gutbucket wrote nice posts about it.

Fatah Ruark has good advice. Make one eq setting and come back to it the next day and try again. And then compare the two variants. And maybe after a longer time come back to it again.

Morst,  how to correct off-center image is very nicely explained by Gutbucket and DSatz here:
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178161.msg2192735#msg2192735

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 07:54:29 AM by kuba e »

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 11:19:45 AM »
Thank you for the advice! I am familiar with EQ, but I will check out your suggestions.

Thanks again!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com