Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1990s taper finally upgrading gear - a few questions about mics, power, stealth  (Read 14390 times)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught

Thanks. If I were getting custom cables made and an nbox (or babynbox, not sure what the difference is yet - ?), is there any reason to get ones that could work with the R-05 (stereo mini input)?  I understand the Tascam is a more solid deck and has phantom power, and XLR is sturdier, but if the point is stealth, the R-05 is the size of a deck of cards and extremely light and easy to carry. The Tascam definitely has the look and heft of serious audio equipment.

The nbox is a pre-amp/power supply that you would run in at line level avoiding the recorder preamp which is inferior.  The babynbox is just a power supply that you would run mic in.  Pro's for nbox vs babynbox are better sound.  Cons are it is larger, heavier and has more metal to set off metal detectors.  I have both and use both depending on security.  I often bring both and have the babynbox as a backup.  In regards to a recorder the R-05/Tascam DR-2D/Sony A-10 and similar small form recorders are easier to navigate security.  I had a DR100 but found the DR-2D was easier to stealth with and with the nbox there was no obvious difference in quality.  When using the babynbox I am in a situation where I wouldn't be using the DR100 anyway.  I agree the XLRs are sturdier but with gaffers/duct tape I can tape shit up so the minijacks are sturdy enough.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)

The nbox is a pre-amp/power supply that you would run in at line level avoiding the recorder preamp which is inferior.  The babynbox is just a power supply that you would run mic in.  Pro's for nbox vs babynbox are better sound.  Cons are it is larger, heavier and has more metal to set off metal detectors.  I have both and use both depending on security.  I often bring both and have the babynbox as a backup.  In regards to a recorder the R-05/Tascam DR-2D/Sony A-10 and similar small form recorders are easier to navigate security.  I had a DR100 but found the DR-2D was easier to stealth with and with the nbox there was no obvious difference in quality.  When using the babynbox I am in a situation where I wouldn't be using the DR100 anyway.  I agree the XLRs are sturdier but with gaffers/duct tape I can tape shit up so the minijacks are sturdy enough.

+1

But ... The Sony A10 has to be recharged with USB cables, and has a limited battery span.  I can run my M10 or the DR2d for 12 hours+  So the Dr2d and Sony M10 are better suited for long festivals.  XLRs take up too much space, like minijacks for stealth purposes. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
But ... The Sony A10 has to be recharged with USB cables, and has a limited battery span.  I can run my M10 or the DR2d for 12 hours+  So the Dr2d and Sony M10 are better suited for long festivals.  XLRs take up too much space, like minijacks for stealth purposes.
True, but the A10 should make it through most days on a charge.
Also you can plug A10 into USB power any time and top up the battery, or just leave it running off a USB pack if needed. Though it kinda kills the advantage of the tiny unit.
I had an issue with the size of the A10 for the past few weeks, because I could not find the dang thing until I really looked in the gear drawer!

On the other hand, the M10 is amazing on battery life.
I just ran 9 hours plus on a pair of cheap alkalines, and it has not dropped a bar!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Scooter123

The Sony M10 can go somewhere between 20-30 hours on its AAAs. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline morst

* AA's

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
I ran 17 sets, an entire 10 day run at jazzfest with one set of AA's in the M-10. Now, I wasn't even using PiP, just a bitbucket out of a Mix-Pre
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline morst

I ran 17 sets, an entire 10 day run at jazzfest with one set of AA's in the M-10. Now, I wasn't even using PiP, just a bitbucket out of a Mix-Pre
Signalbucket?
Bitbucket implies digital recording from a digital signal. M10 is analog in only.

Offline rocksuitcase

Signalbucket?
Bitbucket implies digital recording from a digital signal. M10 is analog in only.
YES. I LIKE this term. Signalbucket!   I was wondering what we should call it.   Thanks morst- you da man! Adding a new term to the vocabulary.  >:D 8)
music IS love

Offline Scooter123

I call a recorder which stores digital files (1s and 0s) a bit bucket
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rocksuitcase

I call a recorder which stores digital files (1s and 0s) a bit bucket
Yes, I do too. BUT following on what morst said about the Sony M10 specifically:
hence, the most apt: Signalbucket.    >:D
music IS love

Offline chiefscribe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular

Thanks.  Yeah, the DR100mkiii is a bit large and solid for stealth, but I like it already for the quality build and features.  Several people are telling me I MUST get an M10 too but haven't yet said why in a way that makes sense to me.  What does it provide that the R-05 does not - just longer battery life?  I haven't had a problem with battery life on the R-05 and don't tend to record many sets in sequence (e.g. at festivals) so if it lasts through the opening act and main performance that's good enough.  Is there something I'm missing about why the M10 would be an essential addition?  I keep wanting to focus on learning what I need to know about which cables and other power & gain solutions are needed and keep getting told to upgrade recorders too.  Until I have some capsules and a way for them to work with the existing recorders I'd rather focus on the absolutely necessary missing links in my rig(s).

Offline chiefscribe

• Taperssection Regular
Also, re: the DPA406x > DPA MMA-A [aka d:vice] > iOS device route, I assume some other app is needed aside from the DPA microphones app?  Or does that one do the recording too?  I never would have thought I'd be doing anything audio-related on an iPhone but that is why they call me Rip van Winkle. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Your R05 and DR100 will do fine. 

Use of the DPA d:vice solution will require a 3rd party recording app on the iOS device in addition to the DPA interface app. Here's the primary d:vice thread with info on what folks are using- https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.msg2361213#msg2361213

I hear you.  Recording to a phone does seem somehow odd or just not right with regards to true quality recording, doesn't it?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline chiefscribe

• Taperssection Regular
Here's the primary d:vice thread with info on what folks are using- https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.msg2361213#msg2361213

Thank you very much. I'm sure I would have found that eventually but have been spending many many hours researching various items people have suggested I obtain or offered to sell me, so I am happy to have one less thing to research.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught

Thanks.  Yeah, the DR100mkiii is a bit large and solid for stealth, but I like it already for the quality build and features.  Several people are telling me I MUST get an M10 too but haven't yet said why in a way that makes sense to me.  What does it provide that the R-05 does not - just longer battery life?  I haven't had a problem with battery life on the R-05 and don't tend to record many sets in sequence (e.g. at festivals) so if it lasts through the opening act and main performance that's good enough.  Is there something I'm missing about why the M10 would be an essential addition?  I keep wanting to focus on learning what I need to know about which cables and other power & gain solutions are needed and keep getting told to upgrade recorders too.  Until I have some capsules and a way for them to work with the existing recorders I'd rather focus on the absolutely necessary missing links in my rig(s).

R-05 or later versions/ M-10,A-10.Tascam DR-2D/Edirol (don't know model #'s)/Zoom (don't know model #'s) all are small stealthable recorders that serve the same purpose.  If you have a R-05 and like it, there is no reason to upgrade the recorder until you have built out your rig.  Different tapers like different recorders but they all meet the requirements.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com