Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How's your room sounding?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
How's your room sounding?
« on: December 22, 2003, 04:17:32 PM »
Mine sucks!

quite frustrating....after upgrading my stereo over and over...i still have somewhat crappy sound on the majority of my listening material.

Its the room.  Echo flutters and bouncing signal crap distort the clarity, clutter the soundstage and kill my bass.  
Anyone have any tips on acoustic treatments?

I just found this site: http://www.foambymail.com/Products.html
which has very inexpensive kits for audio dampening. Probably going to go for some.  See how the wife reacts when she comes home and finds 1/2 the living room padded.
:)
I might find myself in a padded room of my own ifin I dont get this shit straightened out post haste!

Offline tungstengruvsten

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Re:How's your room sounding?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 05:58:53 PM »
hey guys check out this forum:
http://www.recording.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=34

even though it's more studio related really it's the same deal - achieving the best sound in a room.  And foam is gawd awful looking, i've got bass traps in all the corners of my mix room as it's small and boomy.  but it sounds much better now.

check out Ethan Winer's page, he sells things called minitraps that are 'good-looking' (ie better than foam) diffusors/basstraps/absorbers, but also shows diy how to do it yourself....lots of great tips if you root through the forum.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 06:12:39 PM »
no Mike...no subs yet.
working on one soon.  these MLs are weird.  sometimes, they have all the bass I need. Other sources just dont have it (most).  Its this lack of tonal balance that is killing me in that regard.
but, this will be 2nd to fixing the room.  I bet I'll yeild more on that front for less dough.  

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 12:54:08 PM »
wouldnt recomend the foam 100 people died in RI because of the smoke that came from the burning foam.
the show is over go home please.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 02:09:10 PM »
Go here:

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a.htm

You can build bass traps, diffusers, and echo busters for pretty cheap and the tools required are really common.  The level of effort depends on how much you care about cosmetics.  Audioasylum has lots of reviews from people who built the different devices.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 08:10:06 PM »
interesting...
i'd rather pay for one myself.  i'm all about diy stuff, but not something like that!  Yikes...I can smell the hatred from my wife just thinking about it.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 11:43:03 PM »
You can build 12" diameter bass traps and put them in the corners with potted plants on top.  They will look like planter pedistals.  At least thats how I'm getting the first wave of these into our house.  The nice thing about DIY is you can get trim stain and fabric color to match the rest of the furniture.

Of course you can always install everything while your wife's out of the house.  Then when she says something act hurt that she didn't notice before.  Yeah, try that and let me know if it works.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com