Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Beginners guides and books for post-processing (really basic)

<< < (2/2)

fireonshakedwnstreet:
I will just add to the great advice here two things that have helped me. First, familiarize yourself with the frequency "fundamentals" of different instruments; these would be the lowest and highest frequencies of an instrument. Obviously we are only recording in stereo so it won't be as dramatic as multitrack in a studio, but it makes a difference in shaping your sound to what you want to cut or boost.

Second, connected to ear training, know the characteristics and limitations of your monitoring system (it it bass heavy, trebly, etc). Try to listen on different systems if you can. If you have to use headphones (like I do) I suggest a good open back studio monitor.

I'm a big fan of EQ. A little goes a long way!

Oppanda:
Thanks both.  Yes I’m looking at Izotope as that seems to be the most mentioned here. 

The fundamentals are what I really need and understanding EQ more than just the bass, mid and treble controls on an amp or hifi.  I am finding the theory just as interesting as the practical side.  Appreciating the whole signal chain end-to-end looks as much science as it is about the art!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version