Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Post-processing, mixing, and mastering w SBD feed

(1/4) > >>

checht:
Happy Friday!

Curious as to what folks are up to in post when recording ambient sources plus a line or SBD feed.
Post-processing?
How do you mix it?
Any mastering effects?

Inquiring mind wants to know...

grawk:
if they were recorded on a single recorder, it's fairly straight forward.  Normalize each source individually, then align tracks by zooming in to match the start times to account for the speed of sound, then listen, adjusting the balance between soundboard and audience mics til you like the result.  Listen to any edits using as many different playback methods as possible so you can make sure the results sound good everywhere.

adrianf74:

--- Quote from: grawk on April 26, 2024, 12:37:37 PM ---if they were recorded on a single recorder, it's fairly straight forward.  Normalize each source individually, then align tracks by zooming in to match the start times to account for the speed of sound, then listen, adjusting the balance between soundboard and audience mics til you like the result.  Listen to any edits using as many different playback methods as possible so you can make sure the results sound good everywhere.

--- End quote ---

QFT.  Also make sure you've got your sources mapped correctly (i.e., channel 1 of the ambient source is the same as channel 1 of the board feed).

rocksuitcase:

--- Quote from: grawk on April 26, 2024, 12:37:37 PM ---if they were recorded on a single recorder, it's fairly straight forward.  Normalize each source individually, then align tracks by zooming in to match the start times to account for the speed of sound, then listen, adjusting the balance between soundboard and audience mics til you like the result.  Listen to any edits using as many different playback methods as possible so you can make sure the results sound good everywhere.

--- End quote ---
I use Audacity.
As an example of a stereo SBD pair and a stereo AUD pair:
I open/load the SBD first, then name it. Then import the AUD and name it.
DO NOT MAKE ANY edits to either pair yet.
SAVE (export selected audio) the SBD as bandnamdDATESBD (raw or take00 I use here)
SAVE (export selected audio) the AUD as bandnamdDATEAUD (raw or take00 I use here)

Now you can add delay to the SBD if your AUD mics were more than 25-30 feet from stage. (the formula is .9ms for each foot of distance. I just did one where the AUD was 60 feet away, i used 54 ms delay)
Then adjust the levels of each pair to the other. I typically start with the AUD down between 6-9dB from the SBD.(of course, THIS is the ratio you play with, listening carefully as you make changes- it is never the same ratio between any two recordings. And, as GB says below, you may wind up reversing course and using the AUD as primary, it ALL depends on your program material)
play with the slider, adjusting the AUD up and down to get the proper amount of room ambiance you prefer. ( I try to get the AUD so I can JUST barely distinguish it using the mute or solo buttons)
Before you decide to save the mix, check it over more than one playback type. Headphones AND speakers etc.

To save the mix, select both pairs and do Export selected audio, it will warn you that you are exporting to two tracks, Say OK, name the track properly, e.g. bandnameDATEsbdaudmics.wav

Now, open your mixed track and see what else needs done. This is where you equalize, adjust final L/R ratio, final levels (I prefer amplify up to -0.2DB than normalization) and name it.
this is when I cut out before and after chatter/silence. DO not do cut anything when looking at all four tracks as you can cause odd issues.

Phew! Hope this helps.     

nulldogmas:
I'm fortunate to have two A10s with well-matched clocks, so I can usually just do:

1) Bring the AUD source into iZotope RX and reduce close clapping with the de-click filter.
2) Import both sources into Audacity, trim the start of one so that they're aligned, and adjust the mix to taste.

If I'm having trouble getting a good balance of instruments, sometimes I'll bring one source or the other or both into RX, use Music Rebalance to create separate stems, and then bring the whole mess into Audacity to noodle with the gain sliders for a while. But I try to avoid it when possible, though my new Macbook does at least mean the stems render in an hour or two rather than taking overnight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version