Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H8 - The COVID Zoom  (Read 15064 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New Zoom recorder 2020-07-02
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2020, 11:09:56 PM »
Form factor is wonky. I was trying to envision how I would run this in stealth at an arena rock show, and it would be an interesting beast.

Maybe they're thinking it would be good for podcasters who would set this thing in the middle of the table and then have everyone sitting around the table, plugged into the corresponding inputs?  Or maybe they're just trying something new and different (which I can respect, as a life-long contrarian).

bold is my take as well.  but i would think 32 bit would come in very hand for podcasters.  just going off experience hearing my podcasting friends bitch and moan about each other being too far or too close (clipping) the mics.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Zoom H8 - The COVID Zoom
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2020, 11:44:15 PM »
Just give me Line-In and the bottom part.  Not interested in the mics (Not a Zoomie). 

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2020, 06:11:18 AM »
If you hear the sound of happy moths in the distance, it's because I'm returning my wallet to my pocket.  I think whoever said this might be good for podcasters round a table was probably on target, with those XLRs in a radial pattern, but in general it's indeed underwhelming.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2020, 06:25:05 AM »
A key point about those inputs: only 4 are phantom-powered.  The other 2 XLR/TRS combo inputs are not.

specs say

Phantom power +24 V/+48 V (independent ON/OFF for INPUTS 1–4, A and B)

nothing in the quick guide indicates otherwise

BH vid also says 6 phantom

it seems like in line in mode, 1-4 are standard balanced line in, and A and B are basically DIs. But all can be used with condensor mics with phantom

other thoughts:
i HATE devices that have hold switch combined with power. ive accidentally turned off my A10 by unlocking it too far during recording. hopefully it has a well-timed long press on the off switch. A10 is a mere 1 second

not lining up to buy this monstrosity, but for those who can handle the form factor, 6 ch phantom+ the removable XY mics for $400 is quite the bargain. At their current $50/channel price ill hold out for my $100 F2  ;D

depending on the cost of the ambisonic unit, it would be cool just for that. ambisonic+ 6 more channels to play with to compare

are zoom capsules any good? they tout 136 dB max SPL for the stock XY
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:48:32 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2020, 06:39:35 AM »
A key point about those inputs: only 4 are phantom-powered.  The other 2 XLR/TRS combo inputs are not.

specs say

Phantom power +24 V/+48 V (independent ON/OFF for INPUTS 1–4, A and B)

nothing in the quick guide indicates otherwise

it seems like in line in mode, 1-4 are standard balanced line in, and A and B are basically DIs. But all can be used with condensor mics with phantom

You're correct; I mis-read that.  The full page makes it clear you have 6 phantom-powered inputs.  So that right there is an advantage out of the box over the H6.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2020, 12:52:41 PM »
And with the promised (see bottom of online blurbs) new add-on unit you can get four more, so ten channels of phantom power possible.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2020, 01:26:30 PM »
^ Yes, but I think you need to supply an external source of phantom power.

Quote from: Zoom
The EXH-8 capsule provides 4 additional XLR inputs, giving you a total of 10. Each additional input has a dedicated gain knob and pad switch. You can even use your favorite condenser microphones—just connect a power source to the EXH-8 capsule to supply phantom power.

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2020, 12:37:57 AM »
They weren't going for looks, were they? Or ease of cable management, for that matter...

You said it.  This thing is a mess, at least physically.

I’m going to say what everyone is too nice to say: This is perhaps the ugliest design in a piece of production audio gear I’ve ever seen.  Just think of how many people had to sign off on this.  “Yep, she’s a beaut!”

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2020, 06:21:41 AM »
maybe the CEO's son got hired onto the design team?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline carpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2020, 08:12:50 AM »
For me the only interesting thing will be a comparison between the x-y stock capsule (  same as H6) and the new XAH-8 capsule in case of compatibility with H6 or 5.  Should their quality prove to be much better than the stock x-y, could be a nice solution for close miking + a couple of condenser omni through XLR Inputs saving to take around two additional mics.
Still, though not being the x-y H6 capsules bad at all, I'm not expecting a much higher quality.

Offline mandodon

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2020, 03:15:59 PM »
The thread title change is perfect! I was hoping for something in the F series with multitracking functions. Or just something that was an upgrade of some sort, but this is just silly.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:18:54 PM by mandodon »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »
Very 70's era sci-fi spaceship in design.  I can't decide if its more Space 1999 or Battlestar Galactica.. leaning toward Space 1999's Eagle Transporter:

Might have uncovered a design motif here, seeing that previous models somewhat resembled ARK II.   I wonder what this might mean for the next model in the H series?

Or I could be totally off base.  Maybe its robots rather than spaceships.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2020, 03:47:27 PM »
I'm waiting for a recorder modeled after Spaceball 1.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2020, 04:37:23 PM »
My OCM R-44 has a bit of Spaceballs Eagle 5 styling going on, perhaps appropriate given that both are mods of the original recorder/RV

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2020, 06:09:11 PM »
^

*looks at front/side of my R44*

*looks at front/side of the RV above*

Cannot unsee!
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.15 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com