Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naztech PB15000 -- My New Favorite Universal Battery  (Read 20975 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Naztech PB15000 -- My New Favorite Universal Battery
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 11:13:29 PM »
Just wondering if you had the chance to try it out on the DR100mkii yet?  I have the same recorder and have been looking for a solid remote power source.  This battery sounds great, but I'd like know that it will work well before I buy.

I wish I knew why the specs say that it's limited to 200ma because I'm having no problems whatsoever using the 5V USB connection on everything...including powering mics with phantom through the DR100MKii.  So, the answer to your question is yes, I did try this and it works like a champ.

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »
I wish I knew why the specs say that it's limited to 200ma because I'm having no problems whatsoever using the 5V USB connection on everything...including powering mics with phantom through the DR100MKii.  So, the answer to your question is yes, I did try this and it works like a champ.

Excellent!  Thanks for the feedback.  It looks like this will be my next purchase.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

stevetoney

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 03:12:16 PM »
Summercamp Battery Performance

Tascam DR2D set on 24/48, backlight on, phantom powering a pair of AT853 from mic-in jack.  (Why won't my backlight go off while recording even when it's set to 5 or 10 seconds in the menu?)

Friday...started recording from the Campfire stage at 12pm...stopped recording at 2am.  14 hours total.  2 out of 4 bars showing on the meter.

Saturday...started recording from the Moonshine stage at 1:30pm...stopped recording at 1am.  11 1/2 hrs for a total of 25 1/2 hours.  2 out of 4 bars showing on the meter.

Sunday...started recording from the Campfire stage at 11am...stopped recording from the Moonshine stage at 1am.  14 hrs for a total of 39 1/2 hours.  1 out of 4 bars showing on the meter.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Offline mccordo

• Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 03:23:32 PM »

...a total of 39 1/2 hours.  1 out of 4 bars showing on the meter.

Now THAT is what I call battery performance! WOW!
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »

Tascam DR2D set on 24/48, backlight on, phantom powering a pair of AT853 from mic-in jack.  (Why won't my backlight go off while recording even when it's set to 5 or 10 seconds in the menu?)

Friday...started recording from the Campfire stage at 12pm...stopped recording at 2am.  14 hours total.  2 out of 4 bars showing on the meter.

Saturday...started recording from the Moonshine stage at 1:30pm...stopped recording at 1am.  11 1/2 hrs for a total of 25 1/2 hours.  2 out of 4 bars showing on the meter.

Sunday...started recording from the Campfire stage at 11am...stopped recording from the Moonshine stage at 1am.  14 hrs for a total of 39 1/2 hours.  1 out of 4 bars showing on the meter.

...a total of 39 1/2 hours.  1 out of 4 bars showing on the meter.

Now THAT is what I call battery performance! WOW!

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT! I got 20hrs per pair of batteries on my M10's ;) 8)

GREAT Time going w/ you again to scamp, buddy :) ;D 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

stevetoney

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »
SHEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT! I got 20hrs per pair of batteries on my M10's ;) 8)

But this thread is about the Naztech battery not the Sony M10...and your configuration was not powering any mics.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 10:46:16 AM »
Steve does this battery come with tips that fit the DR-2d??  I need a good external powering source for the DR-2d.  Thanks man

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

stevetoney

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 04:52:06 PM »
yes it does. 

Steve does this battery come with tips that fit the DR-2d??  I need a good external powering source for the DR-2d.  Thanks man

Offline mccordo

• Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 05:08:45 PM »
The prices are dropping on the Naztech PB15000.  After my initial order got cancelled due to a SNAFU with the merchant, I just re-ordered one from Amazon.com for $99 including shipping!

stevetoney

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »
That was a lucky snafu.  Youll love this battery...its worth that price and more imo.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 09:52:36 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-12V-9V-5V-Li-ion-Rechargeable-BatteryPack-CCTV-/280735463462?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item415d233826

That looks like a good battery. kirkd, you say you have one? ...and it works reliably? Do you have a volt ohm meter? I'd like to know what voltage you really get on the 12v setting.

I've been carrying 12v lead after I started having problems with a DVD battery powering my DR-680.
DR-680 users could use that thing if it's reliable and clean.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

kirk97132

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »
Chuck,
I can't say I'd recommend it.  It has two big flaws.  1. You can easily hit the on/off switch on the battery and losing power during recod with a 680 very bad.  2. No metering of anykind so you have no idea how much battery there is still to use.   The one other draw back is a long charging time.    I bought it for 5V use.  I have used it as a first set battery but without meters I am not willing to run it long.  ANd I don't have time or patience to test it out.  Especially since I have 6 DVD batteries.

stevetoney

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »
Chuck,
I can't say I'd recommend it.  It has two big flaws.  1. You can easily hit the on/off switch on the battery and losing power during recod with a 680 very bad.  2. No metering of anykind so you have no idea how much battery there is still to use.   The one other draw back is a long charging time.    I bought it for 5V use.  I have used it as a first set battery but without meters I am not willing to run it long.  ANd I don't have time or patience to test it out.  Especially since I have 6 DVD batteries.

Kirk/Chuck:

I recommend buying a universal charger.  There's some learning curve associated, but not much really.  Once you get one of these a) you'll never need another battery charger, and b) you have control over charging so you can recharge your batteries as fast or slow as you want.  Again, some education required but nothing complicated at all.

Here's the one I bought and I love it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMAX-B6-Li-Po-Battery-Li-Po-Li-ion-NiMH-Univeral-Balance-Rc-Charger-6-Cell-C478-/360465381471?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ed69385f

I agree with the on-off switch being a PITA, but I've never let the lack of a meter influence my battery choice.  It's not difficult to get around simply by either doing run-time tests on your equipment or figuring out run-times knowing the battery capacity and doing the math based on the current draw of your device.

Hope this helps.

Steve

PS:  Kirk, if you want to sell that battery, I'll take it off your hands.

Offline alpine85

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 01:01:55 AM »
I really question whether that "200mA (MAX)" figure is accurate.  Maybe it's a typo or something, I dunno, it just doesn't seem right.

I'm thinking about getting one of their other batteries - the PB10800 (http://www.jr.com/naztech/pe/NAZ_PB10800/).  It only does 5V, but there are 5 usb jacks and it's  rated at 2.5A.  (They say you can charge 2 iPads simultaneously with this thing).  I don't know much about battery technology, but it's strange that their higher end, much more expensive battery is rated that much lower on the USB port.   

Anyway, I'm thinking the 10800 could be a real nice solution for powering the USBPre2 and a Tascam DR-100mk2.  (the USBPre2 spec is "400mA max" and the Tascam is "2.0A".  I was in Radio Shack the other day and saw they have a USB connector for their Adapt-a-plug stuff.  Does anyone know what the polarity is on a standard USB connector?  I'm assuming if I put together an adaptaplug cable for the Tascam that it would be standard polarity on both ends (and not the reverse polarity/ tip negative that Roland uses)?

If I'm drawing 2.4A and this thing has 10800mAh, how much runtime could I expect from this setup?  4 hours or so?  That doesn't seem like a lot... is my math way off here?
MICS: AKG CK-1/CK-63/CK-8/CK-22 --> AKG 460/JW460/JW452
CABLES: GAKcables and Mogami
PRES: Apogee Mini-Me, SD USBPre-2, Busman UA-5
RECORDERS: Oade R-44, Tascam DR-100-MKII, JB3

kirk97132

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 01:27:29 PM »
The USBPre2 power spec is 500mA @ 5volts(+/- 10%) I'm not sure where you got the 400 rating but USB power is 500mA.  I had also asked Nic at Sound Devices about the range when I first started researching power options and building my own voltage regulator.  So the spec I cited is from the techs at sound devices.  The expected draw on an average set of mics with phantom is in the 350-400mAh range.  Some of the mics that require higher current could drive the figure up into the 450 range.   One issue I had when using a self made regulator was there were dips in the current that caused the USBPre2 to lose lock with a Tascam DR-680.  It would happen so fast that you never saw the 680 display a DIN unlock message but it would display DIN lock showing it had aquired lock after losing it.   This also caused visible audio spikes in the spdif stream and just generally fucked up the spdif sync too.  I never bothered to test the actual output of the phantom since it was not working but the lower voltage could cause issues that might not be redily apperant IE: lower phantom voltage and/or current which could reduce the dynamic range of mics or make them sound different than they do with correct phantom supplied.  Since the Spdif stream was causing me issues I just skipped the voltage regulator idea completely.  And opted to buy a battery that supplied the right specs.  There are various ways to test battery output even without complicated equipment.  Just google it and I think you could get a few options and then you could find out with a more substantial answer.   Sound Devices was pretty firm on there answer of what voltages to run the box at.  And since their products usually have a very broad range of operating voltages I personally would risk running the unit outside of that range.  Besides the phantom power and spdif stream issues it could start affecting AD conversions ir headroom or who knows what since there is not a lot of excess voltage to play around with.

{edited to clarify power ranges for usbpre2}
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:26:16 PM by kirkd »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com