Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBD>AD-20>NJ3  (Read 2277 times)

Offline themonkey

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
SBD>AD-20>NJ3
« on: May 23, 2004, 07:05:11 PM »
Hi, i've been a lurker on here for a little while and been taping about six months.  I've mainly been patching off of soundboards although i do have an ad-20 that i've used with a pair of sp-cm2's and have had nice results.    Anyway, have any of used patched off a board and ran into the ad-20>NJ3 and how are the results?  I understand i would probably need an attentuater of some kind, I'm just wondering how this setup would compare to simply running a line in.  

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re:SBD>AD-20>NJ3
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 02:25:31 AM »
a sbd> ad (any kind)> deck (any kind) will sound better 99% of the time.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 03:27:36 AM »
a sbd> ad (any kind)> deck (any kind) will sound better 99% of the time.

Except you have to go through a gain stage with the AD-20.  I say just go direct to the deck, just saves you a hassle...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 09:24:29 AM »
Yeah, you'll prolly need an attenuator cable if you are going board->ad20->njb3.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 09:25:11 AM »
I'm sure it would work fine, though I'm sure you will need attenuators of some sort, at least from my limited SBD exp.

The XLRs at the Pour House in Raleigh, NC run hot, and I think the AD20 is hot to begin with, so put the 2 together and you are sizzlin'!!!

I'd do some experimenting at your local music club on off nights, taping crap bands, just to get the experience.  That way, when a band that you really want shows up, you know exactly what to do.
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 09:27:15 AM »
I have read on other places on this board that the AD-20 gives about +17db of gain (could be completely off here...) - When I ran mics->bb->ad20->njb3, I was peaking during the house music, w/ the ad-20 turned all the way down!

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline tfrench

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 10:39:37 AM »
I have read on other places on this board that the AD-20 gives about +17db of gain (could be completely off here...) - When I ran mics->bb->ad20->njb3, I was peaking during the house music, w/ the ad-20 turned all the way down!

Yeah, I had the same problem about a month ago taping Sterolab with Terry.  It was a lound show, had the AD20 at the lowest levels possible.  The recording still came out good.  

The next show I taped was Drive By Truckers, I put my SP C4's at -10db and got a great recording but was able to play with the levels on the AD20 more.
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:
AKG 460b (ck63, ck1 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x) > FR2-LE (24/48)

ISO: AKG ck2x, CK22, CK2, CK3

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 11:17:28 AM »
correct. min gain on the ad-20 is 17 db

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com