Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MTII is back to shops  (Read 3895 times)

Offline rav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
MTII is back to shops
« on: March 31, 2008, 03:14:36 PM »
MTII seems to be back in the shops.

Anybody knows if they have already solved their previous units problems (sprinkler noise, lockups, card time left...) ?

At least anybody knows if they have solved the hardware problems?

Thanks in advance.

Best.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: MTII is back to shops
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:23:17 AM »
MTII seems to be back in the shops.

Anybody knows if they have already solved their previous units problems (sprinkler noise, lockups, card time left...) ?

At least anybody knows if they have solved the hardware problems?

Thanks in advance.

Best.

If I ever get my 'to-be-repaired' of current issues back from their service deptartment I could answer these and other pending MT2 questions.  Month ago I was offered a refund or choice to wait to see if problems I found are fixable.

Maybe if they're again shipping, somethings have changed for the better, but no way to tell without bench testing for progress, or not.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 07:08:43 AM »

Just for the hell of it I sent my MT II in to DPA to be tested with my 4061 mics & dpa mma6000 just to see if DPA could come up with a fix for the "sprinkler noise".  What did I have to lose?

dpa 4061 > dpa mma6000 > unbalanced 1/4" TRS > MT II

The results were as follows:  Using the unbalanced 1/4" TRS inputs a "sprinkler noise free" recording could be produced when turning the gain all the way down on the MT and doing all of the gain adjustment with the dpa mma6000 amplifier..

That is great news and that is the procedure I followed with my MT I anyway- Can't wait to try and duplicate it when my gear arrives back here!!  Thank you DPA! - Forget you M-Audio..

:)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:13:41 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline rav

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 12:02:06 PM »
Good luck whith your device guysonic, keep us informed how is everything going.

I have talked to m-audio and it seems like the m-audio representative i´ve talked to doesn´t even see the sprinkler noise as a problem, he told me that MTII was designed to be used whith balanced sources and cables and if not, you get the sprinkler noise.

AMAZING STATEMENT.

Keep fingers crossed as maybe he is not aware of many things, cause it seems like some people at m-audio doesn´t know what the others are doing.

Best.

Offline deviant

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a
    • RyanAdamsArchive
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 01:39:54 PM »
I opened a ticket with M-Audio to find out more about their suggestions with an unbalanced signal and then having to use an attenuator like with the MTI. Here is their responce...

---
the best solution is to go from your unbalanced source to an 1/8" TRS using a 'Y' adaptor. The headroom on the 1/8" should be enough to avoid the pads.
---

and follow up responces...

---
[Joel Swaney -- 03/27/2008 20:27:00]
Hi Jamii,

So... I can use the 1/8" input as a pure line in?

Thanks!

Joel

[Jamie Leighton -- 04/01/2008 17:21:00]
Joel:

Yes, both the 1/8" input and the 1/4" inputs go thru preamps.
---

Isn't the 1/8" powered?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 04:45:06 PM »
I opened a ticket with M-Audio to find out more about their suggestions with an unbalanced signal and then having to use an attenuator like with the MTI. Here is their responce...

---
the best solution is to go from your unbalanced source to an 1/8" TRS using a 'Y' adaptor. The headroom on the 1/8" should be enough to avoid the pads.
---

and follow up responces...

---
[Joel Swaney -- 03/27/2008 20:27:00]
Hi Jamii,

So... I can use the 1/8" input as a pure line in?

Thanks!

Joel

[Jamie Leighton -- 04/01/2008 17:21:00]
Joel:

Yes, both the 1/8" input and the 1/4" inputs go thru preamps.
---

Isn't the 1/8" powered?

Measured MT2 minijack maximum input at ~ -2.5 dBu and dual TRS inputs ~ +4 dBu.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:03:35 PM »

I have talked to m-audio and it seems like the m-audio representative i´ve talked to doesn´t even see the sprinkler noise as a problem, he told me that MTII was designed to be used whith balanced sources and cables and if not, you get the sprinkler noise.

AMAZING STATEMENT.

Keep fingers crossed as maybe he is not aware of many things, cause it seems like some people at m-audio doesn´t know what the others are doing.

Best.

M-Audio = BULLSHIT

Edirol R-09HR coming soon to the USA - Looks like it will be in around 1st week of May.   $358.00 plus shipping at Full Compass.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 08:10:21 AM »

AMAZING STATEMENT.

Best.

Got word yesterday from M-audio tech my sent-in-for-repair or refund is NOT repairable for known issues, and purchase price for MT2 is being refunded.

So for sure unbalanced input noise issue is now officially an MT2 'product feature' as explained by M-Audio.

However, although not mentioned, the 88.2K bandwidth shortcoming with MT2 applying wrong filter may still be firmware corrected, but I'll never know for not getting the unit back to bench test.

I hope for owners of MT2 using 88.2K mode at least this issue is not a 'standard feature' and will eventually be fixed with a firmware update.  So those using 88.2K sampling rate might still have a non-addressed problem with ~ 20,000 cycle bandwidth limitation until further notice.

So no MT2 technical review, and I will continue to use my MT1 as the better Microtrack model version for acceptable analog input performance reasons.
(See MT1 review at www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm

Offline rav

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 11:23:30 AM »
Amazing, this is the first time i see the second generation of a product being worse than the first one  :o ??? ???

Is there any custom solution to solve the sprinkler noise "feature" ?

Best.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 07:20:31 PM »
Amazing, this is the first time i see the second generation of a product being worse than the first one  :o ??? ???

Is there any custom solution to solve the sprinkler noise "feature" ?

Best.

Just for the hell of it I sent my MT II in to DPA to be tested with my 4061 mics & dpa mma6000 just to see if DPA could come up with a fix for the "sprinkler noise".  What did I have to lose?

dpa 4061 > dpa mma6000 > unbalanced 1/4" TRS > MT II

The results were as follows:  Using the unbalanced 1/4" TRS inputs a "sprinkler noise free" recording could be produced when turning the gain all the way down on the MT and doing all of the gain adjustment with the dpa mma6000 amplifier..

That is great news and that is the procedure I followed with my MT I anyway- Can't wait to try and duplicate it when my gear arrives back here!!  Thank you DPA! - Forget you M-Audio..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.275 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com