Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good Attenuator for a zoom h4n using XLR for SBD?  (Read 4580 times)

Offline RoganSarine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Good Attenuator for a zoom h4n using XLR for SBD?
« on: February 05, 2012, 02:31:27 AM »
Hey guys,

I dont know how hot SBD's usually run and if a -25dB attenuator from shure is enough. Ive heard some people need -40dB.

What attenuator pads would you recommend for SBD?

Id be using both xlr inputs, one for a vocal only feed and the other for instrumentals... So an attenuator that can use 2 inputs would be nice if exists. Ive never grabbed SBD before, so i got no idea.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: Good Attenuator for a zoom h4n using XLR for SBD?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:26:30 PM »
Generally the guy running sound has a gain control where he can adjust the level of the signal you are getting.  You obviously don't want to pester the guy a lot and piss him off, but I think it's fair to ask him ONE TIME to raise or lower the levels... I set my gains to mid-range and if I have something between peaking and -40, I'll say "good enough, thank you!" and then I'll adjust from there to bring it in closer.  Don't even think about bothering him just as the band gets going, but a couple of minutes into the first song is probably OK.  So the first couple of minutes of the opening act might be a little rocky...

Perhaps some of the guys who run FOH can give us their perspective on my statement.

If you really want some attenuators, I think the ones that have switches for 10-20-30 are probably not much more than the ones with fixed 25.  I kind of doubt you need 40db.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

dorrcoq

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:05:47 PM »
I had a sound guy (well, girl actually) not only offer me a stereo SBD feed on Friday night, she actually ran a test before the show and came up front to look at my levels herself and adjusted her feed accordingly.  She said she was trying to change the perception that sound guys are jerks.  ;D

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »
Buy a pair of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68600-REG/Shure_A15AS_A15AS_In_Line_Attenuator.html

I have a pair and I LOVE them. Like Joe said, non-switchable ones are BARELY cheaper, and these are worth the $. Rock solid.
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

dorrcoq

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:58:24 PM »
I had a sound guy (well, girl actually) not only offer me a stereo SBD feed on Friday night, she actually ran a test before the show and came up front to look at my levels herself and adjusted her feed accordingly.  She said she was trying to change the perception that sound guys are jerks.  ;D

Did you get her digits  ;D

I think the key digit is that she is about 35 years younger than me...but she was cute.  As is to be expected with a girl named "Swann". ;D  My buddy Seth nearly came in his pants when she mentioned a 20 dB pad....

adrianf74

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 10:43:23 PM »
I think sound guys/gals have gotten a bad rap over the years but I've always found them relatively helpful.  But as Joe said, *NEVER* bother them when they're working (I always wait for them to ask me when they have a chance).

-25dB seems overkill.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:10:11 PM »
By the way... the original H4's were really only designed for mic-in on the XLR.  Those need the SBD feed turned way down.  My friend Corey had those.  It's my understanding the newer H4N can take a hotter input.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline wharfratjoe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 10:41:14 PM »
Buy a pair of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68600-REG/Shure_A15AS_A15AS_In_Line_Attenuator.html

I have a pair and I LOVE them. Like Joe said, non-switchable ones are BARELY cheaper, and these are worth the $. Rock solid.

Purchased a pair today. Hopefully will get to try them out next weekend. Thanks!
MBHO440, AKG C568EB, AKG 414, AKG 460/CK61, SP LSD2
Zoom H6 x2, Zoom H4n
Edirol UA-5 x2

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 11:19:25 PM »

Came here to say this.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com