Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Salvaging a recording with a buzz in one channel  (Read 1313 times)

Offline blindcan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Salvaging a recording with a buzz in one channel
« on: April 13, 2007, 10:46:26 PM »
I recorded a show recently with a bad cable that was buzzing in one channel. The simplest solution I could think of was to double the right channel to create a mono recording, but because there were horns on the left side, these are low in the mix. I can see that the buzz adds about -30 dB when the music is not playing. Is there anyway to lower the buzz some so that some amount of the left channel can be used? Perhaps mixed down into one track with some of the right channel and then used as the left side track? Or should I just cut my losses and go with the mono mix? Thanks in advance.

Offline king_rhoton

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Salvaging a recording with a buzz in one channel
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 01:33:17 PM »
I recently had this problem and found that the freeware program Audacity's "Noise Removal" filter worked great provided you have a passage where there is NOTHING but the noise, which the program can inspect, and that the noise is a uniform frequency.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
Re: Salvaging a recording with a buzz in one channel
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 05:16:12 PM »
See this thread, which should help with your issue.  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,82473.0.html
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com