Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8  (Read 127642 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Zoom F8
« Reply #345 on: October 22, 2015, 04:17:55 PM »
This is a long thread and I haven't read it all, but does the recorder have any backup features, or issues with saving files in case of power failure/batteries?

Short-short answer, yes, Steve tested that. It has to run for at least 1 min I believe before the backup starts working...

Yes, that seems correct.  I think what can be concluded is that it seems to save in one minute chunks.  I'm not 100% on this, but I think what my test showed is that if you happen to lose power, say a few seconds after the one minute chunk is saved then you might only lose a few seconds of your recording.  If you're less lucky and lose power towards the tail end of that time frame, you might lose up to just short of a minutes worth.  But seems like the most you're ever exposed to lose is a minute of your recording, which I find to be adequate for my needs, especially with redundancy in powering.  With redundant power sources, I'm far less likely to ever have to worry about a complete loss of power while recording.  For example, I'm powering my F8 from the rear 12V connector from an external battery, with the AA battery sled acting as my backup power supply.

Incidentally, I've also confirmed that there's complete transparent changeover when the unit switches between external power and the battery sled.  No clicks or interruptions in the recording of any kind.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:20:11 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline connloyalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #346 on: October 22, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »
Still $999 on B & H and Sweetwater!

On a different note, anyone notice the price increase for the F8 now that the pre-order is over.  WOW!

In the Netherlands it has actually come down from 1462 euros to 1099 euros. Available 3 weeks from now.

Regards, Christine

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #347 on: October 22, 2015, 04:53:18 PM »
On a different note, anyone notice the price increase for the F8 now that the pre-order is over.  WOW!

All the prices look the same to me....I thought it was always 999?

stevetoney

« Reply #348 on: October 22, 2015, 04:56:30 PM »
Quick search around all the major US dealers and everything I saw was still $999.  The only price I saw that was different was an Aussie price up around 1600 Aussie dollars.

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #349 on: October 23, 2015, 10:23:11 AM »
My mistake, as I saw the price and was shocked without reading the small print noting the it was a package deal with 2 sd cards, a zoom F8 case, the zoom mic package.......

Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #350 on: October 23, 2015, 10:55:40 AM »
According to Justin at Pro Sound, Zoom is having manufacturing delays (I guess because they sold out of these bad boys quickly) and 3rd week of November is their target to get more.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #351 on: October 23, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »
Yep, I heard the same thing as AJ from my vendor. I'm wondering if there isn't some updates causing the delay?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #352 on: October 23, 2015, 12:35:06 PM »
Hardware: you push stop at the same time as one of the pfl buttons to disable all the level knobs, push 'em again to re-enable.

I could definitely see myself not quite pressing them at the same time and stopping my recording.   :facepalm:

Seriously, I would be terrified of using that!

According to this post on JWSound, you cannot lock the gain pots while in record mode, and thus have no worry about accidentally stopping your recording.
I'll double check this and report back.  The pfl buttons have a very definite click to them so i think that might be the key to not screwing this up.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

stevetoney

« Reply #353 on: October 23, 2015, 04:49:14 PM »
Hardware: you push stop at the same time as one of the pfl buttons to disable all the level knobs, push 'em again to re-enable.

I could definitely see myself not quite pressing them at the same time and stopping my recording.   :facepalm:

According to this post on JWSound, you cannot lock the gain pots while in record mode, and thus have no worry about accidentally stopping your recording.
I'll double check this and report back.  The pfl buttons have a very definite click to them so i think that might be the key to not screwing this up.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172643.msg2163152#msg2163152

Yes, confirmed in the above post.  So, on the one hand it's good that you can't accidentally stop the recording once you hit record, but on the other hand that level hold is the only hold function on the entire machine.  Since the level knobs are probably the only thing that would be accidentally moved during recording, I suppose that's not all that big a deal but I'd definitely like to see a more comprehensive hold function added in a firmware update. 

Offline voltronic

« Reply #354 on: October 23, 2015, 05:15:32 PM »

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172643.msg2163152#msg2163152

Yes, confirmed in the above post.  So, on the one hand it's good that you can't accidentally stop the recording once you hit record, but on the other hand that level hold is the only hold function on the entire machine.  Since the level knobs are probably the only thing that would be accidentally moved during recording, I suppose that's not all that big a deal but I'd definitely like to see a more comprehensive hold function added in a firmware update.

Whoops - missed that one.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #355 on: October 28, 2015, 09:22:04 AM »
Went to archive and searched for "Zoom F8" recordings. Almost all 58 are steve toney's - mostly schoeps...want to hear this deck with other mics. Way to go steve that is a lot of recordings for 2 months of owning that deck. Maybe have this wrong seemed like quite a few TS members bought the Zoom though not much on the IA yet.
http://archive.org/search.php?query=%22zoom%20f8%22%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

Anyone else record and have listing on IA besides schopes mics?
(Did listen to the classical piano with the Josephson mics that sounded very nice.)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:26:27 AM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

stevetoney

« Reply #356 on: October 28, 2015, 10:48:11 AM »
Went to archive and searched for "Zoom F8" recordings. Almost all 58 are steve toney's - mostly schoeps...want to hear this deck with other mics. Way to go steve that is a lot of recordings for 2 months of owning that deck. Maybe have this wrong seemed like quite a few TS members bought the Zoom though not much on the IA yet.

Thanks.  Two festivals and about five or six times out 'clubbing' with it.  I think I'm aware of four people on ts.com that have one so that's probably why you're not seeing much activity with it yet.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #357 on: November 01, 2015, 09:02:05 PM »
TD, I've been looking through your review, and may I be the first to say:
 :clapping:

Very comprehensive, clearly written, and nicely supplemented with photos.  Really top notch work!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

stevetoney

« Reply #358 on: November 01, 2015, 09:08:46 PM »
TD, I've been looking through your review, and may I be the first to say:
 :clapping:

Very comprehensive, clearly written, and nicely supplemented with photos.  Really top notch work!

Thanks man.  It was fun to do...though I started and stopped a few times.  Once I got some momentum going and got over the hump of getting all the screen shots of the menus sorted through, the rest fell in place because I'd had enough time vested into it that I didn't want to let what I'd already done go to waste.  ;)

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #359 on: November 04, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »
I'm really tempted to order one of these units...
Still waiting for more real world experience from others.
 how's the external  hirose> battery experience ? is any one sure of pin assignments?
 Do the pre's match up to what ever flavor you are used to?
I know I don't really need one of these, but it would be a nice compact way to ad extra channels if I wanted to I do run a lot of 2 track  and sometimes 4  but also have to options of adding more sometimes. this thing would be much easier to haul around then my DR-680.  or the HD-P2 + SD USB-Pre2 or my DR-60
I like the pre's in the USB-Pre2 a d the fact I can go out digitally (Spdif) to the P2 which I got because the DR-680 is funky to use with Spdif in.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com