Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR2d - part 2  (Read 134822 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Tascam DR2d - part 2
« Reply #330 on: March 22, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
Did you delete the 2GB test recording without reformatting the card?

It's good practice is to reformat a card whenever you delete any files from it.  If you only copy the files off the card and have plenty of card space remaining, then you needn't reformat each time.  Delete anything and a reformat is in order.  This keeps the file system on the card clean and non-fragmented.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #331 on: March 22, 2016, 11:58:31 AM »
^ Thanks for your advise Gutbucket

I just bought an used DR2d and I like it very much. Hope to use it in the field soon!

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #332 on: March 22, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »
Did you delete the 2GB test recording without reformatting the card?

It's good practice is to reformat a card whenever you delete any files from it.  If you only copy the files off the card and have plenty of card space remaining, then you needn't reformat each time.  Delete anything and a reformat is in order.  This keeps the file system on the card clean and non-fragmented.

This is a second hand Tascam and it was my first use. I did several tests at home but never formatted the SD card. I always deleted the files manually once the card was in my PC's SD slot.
Will do a complete format next time. Thanks :)
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline tay666

• Taperssection Regular
    • Live music stuff
« Reply #333 on: March 24, 2016, 08:22:02 PM »
Yeah. Always format with the Tascam. I figure it's the one using the card so it's probably better to let it format.
Also change your files size. I keep mine set to 512 file size.
I figure it's a way to minimize risk. If it errors during a write, I won't loose as much data.
At 24/48 I get about half an hour in a 512 file. I'd rather loose half an hour than 4 times that if I split at 2 gig.
Always looking for Iron Maiden and Papa Roach audio that I don't have.
http://tay666.comze.com/iron.htm

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #334 on: April 13, 2016, 08:31:48 AM »
How much would the batteries last with a Tascam DR2d updated with last firmware and recording in 24/48 using two mics (dual line-in + mic-in) that are powered by either a 9V battery box and a 9V preamp ?
I'm just looking for an order of idea.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:05:13 AM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #335 on: April 13, 2016, 10:56:20 AM »
~5hrs
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #336 on: May 04, 2016, 06:09:41 PM »
Hi, a question for the board, could I use the following battery box/power supply to supply 5V PIP to a pair of mics utilizing the DR-2D's line input and then use the DR-2D's PIP, via the mic input, to supply PIP to another set of mics thereby recording two stereo pairs?

# Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-10
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-SPSB-10

Thanks, Chris.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #337 on: May 05, 2016, 09:08:40 AM »
That will work, but you'll have no control over line-in levels while recording, and only 5dB of adjustment prior to recording.  For that reason, you'll probably want a preamp with adjustable gain instead of a simple battery box.

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #338 on: May 05, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »
Roger that, thank you.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #339 on: May 08, 2016, 02:04:08 AM »
How much would the batteries last with a Tascam DR2d updated with last firmware and recording in 24/48 using two mics (dual line-in + mic-in) that are powered by either a 9V battery box and a 9V preamp ?

I ran a test with that exact setup described in the quote. I taped a show using two fresh Enregizer Alkaline Power - AA batteries (those are the "standard" Enregizer AA's I think).

Batteries last for 3 hours, 55 minutes and 23 seconds.

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #340 on: January 21, 2017, 07:04:53 AM »

I ran a test with that exact setup described in the quote. I taped a show using two fresh Enregizer Alkaline Power - AA batteries (those are the "standard" Enregizer AA's I think).

Batteries last for 3 hours, 55 minutes and 23 seconds.

I ran a new test with Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries.

My setup changed a bit as I swapped the preamp for a second battery box :
Tascam DR2d updated with last firmware and recording in 24/48 using two mics (dual line-in + mic-in), each of them powered by its own 9V battery box.

My 16GB SD card is now full. That's already 7 hours, 40 minutes and 43 seconds of music and the battery indicator on the Tascam still shows 3 bars out of 3 !!

Edit: the Tascam finally went out of power after 9 hours, 44 minutes and 55 seconds.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:13:23 PM by fandelive »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #341 on: January 23, 2017, 10:40:29 AM »
I have been using the Energizer Advanced Lithiums for normal shows (2 to 3 hours) or Ultimate Lithiums for longer shows/festivals.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #342 on: January 23, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
Just did a run time test a couple weeks ago, primarily as a suitability test of the Powerex precharged NiMH 9.6V in a custom preamp. But because this was an "as typical" real-world test of the entire rig in operation, I simultaneously checked run time of a couple very old but freshly reconditioned Immedion NiMH AA's powering the DR2d.  I posted the results here- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=180370.msg2211435#msg2211435.

These were very old NiMH AA's, and the only salvageable pair from a batch of 12 I had laying around.  I attempted to recondition the entire batch in the Maha charger prior to this test.  With the exception of this pair, the remaining 10 batteries all tested bad with overly high internal resistance.  This pair reconditioned successfully to a measured capacity of around 2100 mAhr each and powered the DR2d for something more than 5-1/2 hrs, but less than 6-1/2 hrs.  I take this as positive confirmation of my baseline figure of ~5hrs safe max run time on NiMH rechargeables.  Newer NiMH should provide a larger run-time safety buffer.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #343 on: July 12, 2017, 06:08:50 PM »
Can someone refresh my memory on how to set the DR-2d up for dual recording and what level should mic and line be run??  Thanks
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gunner

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #344 on: July 12, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
Can someone refresh my memory on how to set the DR-2d up for dual recording and what level should mic and line be run??  Thanks

Step 1: menu>input>mic gain LOW
Step 2: hold DUAL button down; mode: LINE (I normally set level to 100 (don’t go lower than 95 I think)
Step 3: input level buttons on  side of recorder adjust mic input gain; set no lower than 67. You can raise this on the fly as necessary.
(If a soft/acoustic situation,  setting INPUT level to MED may be necessary. Sound check recommended) Of course depending on your set up you might adjust gain with whatever you are feeding your mics with)
During recording pushing DUAL button will toggle between mic and line levels on display.
Happy recording!

Thanks to danny3
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=164364.msg2057204#msg2057204

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.144 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com