Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping in the Rain  (Read 5583 times)

Offline piperedworm

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Email - piperedworm@yahoo.com
Taping in the Rain
« on: April 11, 2009, 12:23:11 PM »
Hello my friends, I am looking for a really good clip on Umbrella if I need to tape in the rain.  Any thoughts?
Mics - Neumann skm184, Busman BSC2 Actives
Pre - SD Usb-pre2
Recorder - SD744

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Texas Tapers
Re: Taping in the Rain
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 01:01:48 PM »
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
The problem with umbrellas is that you then record the plip-plop of the rain hitting the top of the umbrella.

You need material on top of the umbrella to take the energy out of the rain before it gets to the umbrella.

Hence the Rycote Duck.

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 12:31:48 PM »
I think I rode on one of those at Wisconsin Dells as a child....

The problem with umbrellas is that you then record the plip-plop of the rain hitting the top of the umbrella.

You need material on top of the umbrella to take the energy out of the rain before it gets to the umbrella.

Hence the Rycote Duck.

#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 02:13:54 PM »
Interesting.....very interesting.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »

Hence the Rycote Duck.

Re: Mic Umbrella

Not a very favorable recording of the Duck.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 02:46:14 PM »
A golf towel over you umbrella does the trick.  No need to spend money on the Duck.  Major overkill.

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 03:07:51 PM »
Looks like you could easily make a duck by gluing some of those plasticy body-wash things to some sort of gully / gutter.  I've never used a towel, but it seems to me that once a towel gets wet, it may as well not be there at all.  Maybe sew some of those body-wash things onto a towel, and fasten the towel to some sort of drainage along the bottom.  The material on the Duck looks fairly similar to those body wash things, I'm guessing that you could fabricate one of these pretty simply.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 03:26:55 PM »
I've never used a towel, but it seems to me that once a towel gets wet, it may as well not be there at all. 

I've used a towel many many times.  Golf towels work best in my experience or even the thicker hand towels at some hotels.  You'd be surprised at how much of the rain hitting the umbrella the towel cuts down on.  If you can hear rain hitting the towel then more than likely the band has already called it a day.   The towel flattens the sound out even when drenched as compared to the popping of rain hitting the umbrella itself.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 02:33:05 AM »
I've said this before
but back at a GD show  at Autzen stadium in like 94 we ran my TOA K1's spaced at about 20' in the rain where we tightly stretched a plastic bag over each mic - duct taped the end on, and duct taped the XLR connectors and it sounded fine
no real noticeable difference than w/o the bag
mind you the TOA K1's had a weird foam inside a metal darth vader looking metal housing

but I tried an umbrella at Red Rock PHISH in 96 and you could totally hear the rain  drops....
IMO a bad option- the towel over it might be better
but
may be some tight saran wrap
or other thin plastic  or large foam would be better...

but that's just my ideas...  everyone has there own thoughts and what works for them

I know I have only been taping sine I used actual tape in 1986 so I may not know what the hell I am talking about but I have a few shows undermy belt

peace out
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 03:03:36 AM »
Last time I looked REI stores have a umbrella that clips on to golf bags that is perfect for recording.  When I picked up my last one it was somewhere around $10.  Like others said you need to bring a towel with you to put over the umbrella to avoid the sound of the rain hitting the it.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 09:22:39 AM »

Hence the Rycote Duck.

A sheet of this clipped to the top of the umbrella is cheaper and works well...

http://www.moldingsbest.com/CharcoalEggcrate.html

digifish
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:24:35 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »
i sort of enjoy hearing the raindrops in between the music of my recordings  ;D

it reminds me of the effort it took to tape and sometimes adds to the ambiance of the recording

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »
I've wrapped and gaff taped an entire LD bumlein rig in thin disposable poncho material (similar to food wrap) and it weathered rain fine without any obvious sonic drawbacks.  The shock baskets acted as hoops supporting the plastic over the foams.  My main concern was wind flapping loose plastic but I got it nice smooth and tensioned.  PITA to do though and of course you don't want to do it until you know it will rain.

For that reason I'm back to the umbrella with a towel or foam attached with a few clothes pins.

If anyone wanted to DIY a duck, the material appears to be exactly the same as the cheap closed cell foam 'pool noodles' sold as floats for kids in the pool or ocean.  Cut one to length, split it halfway & carve out the center a bit, open it like a hot dog bun and you'd have what looks just like the duck photo.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

wklitz

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »
windscreens and gaffers tape over all connections has always done the trick for me at least with the schoeps and sennheiser.  I only had a problem ONCE and that is because I forgot to tape over a cable connection.

...never attempted it with LD mics, probably not a good idea.

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 06:33:39 PM »
windscreens and gaffers tape over all connections has always done the trick for me at least with the schoeps and sennheiser.  I only had a problem ONCE and that is because I forgot to tape over a cable connection.

really? you'll just let the mics fly up there with rain hitting the capsules/windscreens and such?

personally, i'd be a nervous wreck if that happened, but maybe thats because I live In Arizona and don't often see the rain, but when it does rain here, it is during Monsoon season.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 12:12:32 PM »
One of Ted's umbrellas or even a baby stroller umbrella is all you need for most tapers here.   

In my experience, a general shower has never significantly permeated my recording during loud concerts, where it bothered me.  It only added to the ambiance and history of the show recorded. 

That said, during massive downpours, there's no escaping the music, the drops hitting the umbrella, and the drops hitting the ground/other objects around me.  When it reaches that point, I've often asked myself:  "What the hell am I doin' out here?"   ???   My 2 cents.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 12:54:57 AM »
i sort of enjoy hearing the raindrops in between the music of my recordings  ;D

it reminds me of the effort it took to tape and sometimes adds to the ambiance of the recording

Agreed! The music is normally so loud, that you can ONLY hear the raindrops in-between the songs, which doesn't bug me at all. Like you said TJ, it reminds me of the efforts us tapers went through that night to nail a perfect days recording no matter what the weather was like ;D 8)

And I use hypers even at the OTS at festivals (and I just LOVE those outdoor hyper recordings) and I can BARELY hear raindrops in-between songs running the hypers. So raindrops don't matter or mean anything negative to me at all, and I personally like the ambiance of hearing them, just like my man TJ 8)

I am more concerned about keeping my mics/gear dry over BARELY AUDIBLE raindrops JUST in-between songs 8) :):smoking: :spin: Run hypers folks, and you wouldn't hear nearly as many raindrops :P ;)

Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 03:44:16 PM »
A bit off the topic, but I was considering using the heat wrap that is used for making cables to seal up some Schoeps bodies, actives and shorty XLR cables together, to protect the bodies from getting scuffed up during use.  Anyone ever try this?

Josh

#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 03:49:11 AM »
objects around me.  When it reaches that point, I've often asked myself:  "What the hell am I doin' out here?"   ???   My 2 cents.

The band is asking the same thing :)

- What's this knob do?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »
windscreens and gaffers tape over all connections has always done the trick for me at least with the schoeps and sennheiser. 

same, though I've always been nervous as hell about it

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com