Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ok mg told me that if i could find a mic with less self noise and better spl..  (Read 5182 times)

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
capabilities than the m930 that they have just put out, i can have a pair free. somehow i dont think there is anything that touches it. but hell, if there is, itd be nice to have a free pair,!

Ray

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Match or beat?

M930: 7 dB-A noise, 142 max SPL
RODE NT2-A: 7 dB-A noise, 147 max SPL
Out of the game … for now?

Ray76

i called them on that, they specified as is, straight up, no pads or anything.Thanks Matt+T

the rode has a variable pad selector.Thanks though, shit, im tryin!!they actually tested this mic i believe.

Ray
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 09:48:45 AM by BigRay »

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
The rode does have a pad selector, but I believe the 147 is with no pad. The pad is only a 10 dB pad and max SPL is 157 with the pad. However, they can only match the self-noise level of 7 dB-A, not beat it. There are mics with lower self-noise, but yet to see one that breaks the MG's max SPL.

Ray76

ahh i see!!thanks, beleve me, ima call em , and ask!+T bud.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
Senn mkh800?  I think it has 6 db noise, not sure of max spl.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
Sennheiser lists that at 10 dB-A. I don't see the max SPL on their site either, though. Still not beating the MG, so I won't dig deeper.

Ray, find out what nature and other quiet sound recordists use. That should help some, even if it's IDing a brand, you can always go through the company's website and get their basic specs.

Ray76

good idea, matt. Thanks a lot bud.
This is fun!+T in 12
Ray

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
i was going to say the Esoteric Audio Research, but it appears to have an Equivalent self noise of 11dB SPL.

still a better mic than the MGs, though... and a lot more expensive.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Ray76

i was going to say the Esoteric Audio Research, but it appears to have an Equivalent self noise of 11dB SPL.

still a better mic than the MGs, though... and a lot more expensive.

i havent heard them, but I know of all the mics here that are typically used, the mgs sounded the best to my ears ... . Seperate subject: Ive been looking all day to attempt to find in writing numbers that beat the ones that the mg m930 cardoid has listed in terms of spl threshold,  and self noise.I havent found any yet, but if anyone has suggestions, please help.
Ray
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 01:36:25 PM by BigRay »

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
check out this album for an example of how those mics sound:

Album Name: A Meeting By the River
Musicians: Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt
Recording Label: Water Lily Acoustics - 1993

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Ray76

will do bud. Thanks a bunch.

+T ray

Ray76

blah blah blah ray you bitch
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 02:08:49 PM by BigRay »

Ray76

always. ;) +T

I admit I gush over this hobby and over new stuff that i find. Music and anything music related turns me into a fucking dork. i admit it. its just nice after the past 3 years to be able to do this stuff. i get carried away from time to time, borderline neurotic.
;)
thanks
ray

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
ray, before i sunk the ching into buying something i never ran, id test them out first YMMV
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
Just so you know you aren't going to find a mic that beats those specs....for now anyway.........I know my mics and to find a mic that quiet is possible but to hit that high on an spl ..................it aint gonna happen ....yet......Right now the quitest mic on the planet that I know of is the Rode NT-1A it has a self noise spec of 5db  thats lower than the 7db of geffel but its SPL is only 137 not as high as the geffels 142..... some other contenders close but not close enough:
The blue Baby Bottle has a self noise of 5.5 but an SPL of 133
The Neumann TLM103 has a self noise 7 db with a SPL 138
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Ray76

ray, before i sunk the ching into buying something i never ran, id test them out first YMMV

bean, im not buyin those. im just testing them. The guy told me if i could beat the numbers hed give me a freebie. i am trying them out.

ray

Ray76

check out this album for an example of how those mics sound:

Album Name: A Meeting By the River
Musicians: Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt
Recording Label: Water Lily Acoustics - 1993

this is absolutely the shit!! custom, hand built rectangular capsule figure eights. Whether or not it's numbers beat the hallowed numbers of geffel, these mics will make anything put to the table by Geffel seem like my first sony, period.

they do look amazing. they have an amazing price too. the story behind them was very interesting.
Thanks for the info man.+T Ray

jnorman34

DPA 4041-S = 7dB(A) re: 20mPa, 144dB SPL
do i win the mics?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
do i win the mics?

Nope, b/c I already beat you with the RODE NT-2 on page 1  :)

Ray76

do i win the mics?

Nope, b/c I already beat you with the RODE NT-2 on page 1  :)

Still waitin to hear back from Dirk on the rode.
hes apparently going to do some tests with it. He tested one rode last week, but a different one. the nt-2 hes got yesterday I think and will let me know soon as he finishes. says a lot of the mic manufacturers fudge the numbers, but thats not surprising. theyve probably done it themselves.
thats commerce for ya.

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
1) anytime you find a room with less than 10dBA acoustic noise in it, please tell me.

2) remember that to get down to 7dB you tweak a lot of things. I believe the tweaking does not make the sound better. So you get less noise, worse sound.

Who cares really? I mean most of my mics are around 20dBA and I have very little problem with noise.

G.

Ray76

1) anytime you find a room with less than 10dBA acoustic noise in it, please tell me.

2) remember that to get down to 7dB you tweak a lot of things. I believe the tweaking does not make the sound better. So you get less noise, worse sound.

Who cares really? I mean most of my mics are around 20dBA and I have very little problem with noise.

G.

I dont care particularly, but the thought of a new mg mic is appealing. thats why im looking for one that will beat it. im learning a lot in the process. its doin me good.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com