Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping gear list - what's missing?  (Read 4940 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Taping gear list - what's missing?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »
Okay, so now that I've bought my mikes and have a good recording unit (Tascam HD-P2), I've been doing some shopping to string it all together into a full-blown rig.  Here's what I have at home or on order so far:

Mike stand (Shure S15A, w/case) - check
Equipment carrying case (Porta Brace QS-A4) - check
Cables (Monster Standard 100 Series) - check
Shock mounts (AKG H 30) - check
Crossbar (AKG KM235/1 Stereo Microphone Bar) - check
Duct tape - *quack!* I mean, check
External power - 12v 45amp 2x3 stick pack from cheapbatterypacks.com

Don't need preamp - HD-P2 has phantom power built in

Now, where do I find these?:

Stakes to hold down mike stand
Small mike umbrellas

Many thanks in advance for the assistance!  :)

Mini Mag-Light or other small flashlight
Extra clamp(s)
Extra 8x AA batteries (for power emergencies)
Pen and paper (right down setlists, mic configs, etc.)
Various adapter cables (SPDIF output cable for those that want to patch, XLR>RCA cables for SBDs)
Pocket Knife

In potential rainy situations:
Garbage bags (easy rain-proofing for your bag)
Light Towel (over you umbrella in rain to dampen raindrop sounds)

Also:
Flask (impress chicks)
Condoms (see above)

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 02:02:23 AM »
ok all great suggestions

I use both (usually) a headlamp, ditch the minimag) for hands free operation and gets the light where you need it (go for the LED ones) (I use Princton tec Aroura-3 Led) 
I also use a small Photon Microlight (key chain size) on a chisco lanyard around my neck its always there and quick to use...
ok I also do have a Princeton tec 4AAA LED light like a Mini Mag ... on a lanyard that I use occasionally (when I misplace my headlamp)  check out REI or other outdoor gear store

also
in my experience Umbrellas are no good above mics:
1. can catch wind
2. in quiet passages the rain bouncing off of it can be heard.... but hey that was Phish At Red Rocks...

umbrellas can be good above gear for both Rain n Sun...think shade and coolness!  but many venues have NO Umbrella policies... as that could be a "weapon" and block others view

I opt for extra windscreens and be sure to dry out the mics...
once at a Dead (thats the Grateful Dead, not this other band called the Dead)show we actually ran my old Toa K1's in some plastic sandwich bags with taped shut on to the mics.... sounded fine really!

I am sure many will disagree--- thats fine
these are just what I have found works for me
you will find what works for you too.

I always carry at least one tent stake at nay outdoor show
in 87 at Shoreline Dead, tapers on the steep lawn, I had some one grab my mic stand for support as he was almost crawling up the hill.... pulled the whole thing down caught it b4 it hit any heads, but damn near hit the ground... couldn't notice  it on the recording .... whew
also for stability
I find 2 legs or the 3 forward one leg back (staked) or impaled into a slope is much more stable, less side to side motion... I see other do it different but

that's what works for me...

zip locks sure do help
I also carry a towel or light cloth to drape over my gear, and also help to wipe spills and drips....

peace
ArchivalAudio
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 02:46:52 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 03:50:17 AM »
I don't really have anything to add to the list of gear, but I can certainly attest to the usefulness of some of these suggestions!

One festival in particular comes to mind, and it wasn't even that big (BWFR 2004), but the crowd was pretty wild that night.  My rig was pretty simple, a Sharp mini-disc unit, a pair of Church-Audio pro-binaural mics and an ST-20 pre-amp, all attached to a 15-ft stand with an old-school stereo bar.  There were two stages - a large tent stage, and a main stage, and the bands were playing literally back-to-back.  Particle was playing under the tent, and I had made good use of the gaffers tape, securing my stand to a large support beam.  Good thing, considering the number of folks who kept staggering by, always managing to find that beam with their hands as they tried to steady themselves.  Also, the one time I walked away to grab a beverage myself, I come back and notice a couple of pairs of smaller mics clipped and duct-taped to various parts of the stand.  Fortunately, the stand was so secured, that nothing really disturbed the recording, amazingly enough.

No sooner was that set over, and I high-tailed it out to the main stage, where Medeski, Martin & Wood were just going on.  What a surprise to see the torrential downpour that had begun while I was recording inside the tent!  Since I was camping, I actually had a pretty sturdy umbrella in my backpack, and the gaffers tape came in handy fastening it to the top of my stand.  As a general rule, I always have a heavy-duty Hefty bag, a head-light and a mini-mag in my backpack anyway, so in this case the rig could stay dry, and I could actually see what I was doing in the midst of everything!  I've learned at these shows to keep a few extra tent stakes with me to secure the mic stand in front of the main stage, and they really came in handy that night as well.  Luckily, there was absolutely no wind, just rain so thick that I couldn't see beyond the umbrella, once I was set up and rolling.  You might think that much rain would have made an obnoxious roar over the music, but I figured, hey - it's either going to work, or it isn't... might as well give it a shot.  The incredible thing was, when I played the recording back later, all you could hear was the music, clear as daylight.

Considering that every other taper that night threw in the towel when they saw the rain, it almost sounds crazy now, thinking about it, but when I heard how good the recording turned out, I was glad I bothered to stick with it.
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com