Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 firewire port issues  (Read 2491 times)

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
722 firewire port issues
« on: October 30, 2008, 10:57:58 AM »
Well for some reason I cannot get my 702 to connect to either my home computer or laptop with firewire. The first time this happened was two weeks ago. I borrowed a friends HD-P2 and couldn't get his to connect to my computer either.I noticed nothing with a firewire connection would connect to my computer.(external hard drive,video camera). So I figured I had a bad firewire cable.I had a second one that I never used so I tried that with no luck.So I figured I had a bad firewire card and went and bought a new one and installed it. It installed fine but I still can't get my 702 to connect to my computer. I thought it was maybe my computer going bad since it's about 6 years old and it's a cheap Dell. But since my 702 won't connect to my laptop either I was wondering if my 702 firewire port is screwed.

Now here's what scares me the most.My friend sent me an email this morning saying he can't connect his HD-P2 ( the one I borrowed) to connect to his computer now with the firewire.  What the hell's going on? Did my computer screw up the HD-P2 and the 702 firewire ports? Anyone ever have a firewire port go bad on the 702?  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: 722 firewire port issues
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »
Yes tried a different computer.

No the screen stays the same. I try to connect and after a few seconds of trying it goes back to the main screen. It never connects.

I don't have a Linux cd.

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »
Someone said I've should be using this when connecting to my computer. http://www.sounddevices.com/products/xl1394.htm

???

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »
No.  You do not need the conditioner to hook up your 7xx to your computer.  You may very well have a bad FW port on the 7xx.  I have a new one with a bad FW port.  I am able to get by using the USB.  But the 722 does not offer that option.  Find someone who can replace it or send it on back to the cheese heads who make them.   8)

This may be an Achilles heel on this machine.  I have only had it fail one the new machine, 788T. 

Good luck.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 07:28:38 PM »
Mine is currently xfering files but there is a setting for the firewire to be set to external HD mode or connect to a computer mode.  I have seen this change and cause problems
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline boojum

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 12:32:51 AM »
If your setting is changing there is a software problem.  Are you current with the firmware?  I think it is 2.54 now.  Check the company site to be sure if you are not current.  Firmware updates Are free.

If you are referring to Stober, I am assuming he has done this.  Stober, did you?
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 09:42:23 AM »
If your setting is changing there is a software problem.  Are you current with the firmware?  I think it is 2.54 now.  Check the company site to be sure if you are not current.  Firmware updates Are free.

If you are referring to Stober, I am assuming he has done this.  Stober, did you?
I'm not using the current firmware. I think I'm using 2.08 or 2.18 or something around there. I've had it installed since summer.Never any issues so I never updated to the newest firmware. I guess I can try that.
Mine is currently xfering files but there is a setting for the firewire to be set to external HD mode or connect to a computer mode.  I have seen this change and cause problems
Where is this setting at? In the menu? I've never seen a setting that sets the firewire to either external HD mode or computer mode.It could be the problem if it somehow changed.

Offline boojum

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 06:52:39 PM »
OK, it is in the menu.  Less than 10.  Maybe three or four.  You will see it right off.  Make sure it is set to FireWire connection. 

Good luck!

PS - Dude, the manual is a for free download from SD.  It is there in a PD file, withh you name on it, just waiting for you to link up and download.  Go for it!  And, RTFM.     8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com