Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Convert AIFF-C>flac?  (Read 2812 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Convert AIFF-C>flac?
« on: May 07, 2016, 05:50:16 PM »
Since getting my FIIO X3 I'm obsessing over higher quality sound!  Finding older 24bit recordings I made back in 2002 or so not to mention some stuff from the dankseed days.  But then I thought about converting some On The Road SCI to flac and the firstCD I opened and looked at is AIFF-C.  I thought these CDs were wav files but I guess I'm wrong.  Is it worth it to convert these AIFF-C files to wav then to flac?  Since these are live recordings is there a correct way to convert so they play gapless?

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Convert AIFF-C>flac?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 03:43:11 AM »
Since getting my FIIO X3 I'm obsessing over higher quality sound!  Finding older 24bit recordings I made back in 2002 or so not to mention some stuff from the dankseed days.  But then I thought about converting some On The Road SCI to flac and the firstCD I opened and looked at is AIFF-C.  I thought these CDs were wav files but I guess I'm wrong.  Is it worth it to convert these AIFF-C files to wav then to flac?  Since these are live recordings is there a correct way to convert so they play gapless?

ffmpeg might be able to achieve this without having to use wav as a detour. It supports a multitude of codecs by default (including aiff and flac).

Only recently, a friend of mine asked me to convert the flac files I sent him to m4a/alac (he uses iTunes).
Via the bash or ksh on Linux, it only takes a short one-liner to convert a batch of files.
(Might work on OS X, too. Use an equivalent batch script or the Powershell, if you're a Windows user.)

flac to m4a:
Code: [Select]
for i in *.flac; do TITLE="$(echo "$i" | sed "s/\.flac$//").m4a"; ffmpeg -i "$i" -acodec alac -map_metadata 0 "$TITLE"; done
So, in your specific case, the equivalent command would be:

Code: [Select]
for i in *.aiff; do TITLE="$(echo "$i" | sed "s/\.aiff$//").flac"; ffmpeg -i "$i" -acodec flac -compression_level 8 "$TITLE"; done

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 07:38:11 AM »
If you're on Windows, foobar2000 easily converts between any format you can think of. 
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 09:43:49 AM »

I'm guessing you're on a mac and simply looking at the tracks in the Finder as you double clicked on the CD. the files are not actually AIFF-C. They are actually audio tracks burned as a redbook cd. You can just copy them to your hard drive and convert to flac using many conversion programs, or you can use a better extraction utility to copy the tracks in a "safer" manner

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 09:48:10 AM »

I'm guessing you're on a mac and simply looking at the tracks in the Finder as you double clicked on the CD. the files are not actually AIFF-C. They are actually audio tracks burned as a redbook cd. You can just copy them to your hard drive and convert to flac using many conversion programs, or you can use a better extraction utility to copy the tracks in a "safer" manner

Thanks for the confirmation.  Yes, I'm on a Mac and saw the file under info as an aiff extension but finder says they are aiff-c, hence my hesitation. 

Appreciate it. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com