Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: running 2 devices on a single RC battery system  (Read 2633 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
running 2 devices on a single RC battery system
« on: October 31, 2004, 12:07:39 PM »
Brian Skalinder, Edit:  Split this off the JB3 external power thread because [1] thread was way too long, [2] thought it deserved its own thread.

Ok... it seems as though we still have some confusion on how you can run multiple items off of one RC battery system.  I will try to explain.  You can use as many batteries as you want.  As long as they are wired properly (in parallel) the voltage remains the same and you ad up the amperage.  If your battery system is (2) RC batts @ 9.6 volt, and 3000 mah, your battery system (both bats wired in parallel) is now 9.6 volts and 6000 mah (or 6 amps).  3 batteries would be 9.6 volts and 9000 mah (or 9 amps).  By the same token you could power as many devices as you want as long as they all handle the voltage you are using, and as long as they are all connected in parallel!

Lets say for our discussion that we are using a 2-battery system, with 3 devices to power.  In my case I run a ua-5, svu-2 (9-volt vu meter), and a jb3 all from my two RC batts.  First thing you need is (1) male Tamiya connector for each battery in your system.  http://batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=535    I will buy 2 male tamiya connectors to connect to the female tamiya of each battery.   
     Next thing we need to do is build a separate power lead to go to each device.  Each power cord will have the proper device connector on one end, and stripped wires on the other.  You can purchase hobbyist electrical cord from radio shack, or use an old lamp cord, or even use speaker wire... it really won't matter much.  The next thing I need to locate is a connector for each of my devices.  In the case of the jb3, we will also be using a car adaptor to change the voltage for the jb3, so lets just think of the adaptor as a cord with a big lump in the middle!  With the car adaptor, you will cut off the end that plugs into the cig lighter, and strip those wires. The other end of the adaptor will need a connector that fits into your jb3.   Most devices will tell you somewhere on the unit or in the manual which part of the connector is positive and which is negative. Wire your connectors properly, and use wire that is easily distinguishable so there is no chance of error.  Some devices will be harmed if you send a backwards charge to them and some will not.  I actually sent a backwards charge to my jb3 when first doing this and there was no harm done to the unit.
     At this point we should have 2 tamiya connectors and 3 cords long enough to reach from our batteries to our devices, and with the proper connectors on one end, and stripped wires on the other.  Now, all you have to do is take all the positives (power cords AND Male tamiya connectors) and connect them all together by either soldering or using a crimp on connector.  Do the same with all the negative leads, and you are done!  Now you can run your rig off of 1 battery or two (you don't need both connected), you can hot-swap batteries while you are running if you need to, and if you are only running part of your rig, you can disconnect one of the power leads and leave it dangle.  For instance I don't use this unit to power my JB3 until after I have killed the JB3 batts.  I then REMOVE THE INTERNAL BATTERIES, and connect for the rest of the recording.  If you want to go to your RC power during the middle of a recording you can connect your power lead, and THEN remove the internal batteries without interruption to the recording.  We remove the internal batteries when using external because the unit will force the external batteries to charge the internals, because the jb3 thinks the externals are a power cord.  I hope this helps!!!!

Matt
***edited for spelling***
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 04:23:04 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: running 2 devices on a single RC battery system
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 04:17:20 PM »
Thanks Brian... I was wondering where this went!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com