Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Camcorder - External mic or Field Recorder?  (Read 14898 times)

Offline techgui

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Camcorder - External mic or Field Recorder?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
I just happened to have a wireless Lav lying around. 

Thanks All for helping me make this decision...  I'm now the proud owner of a pearl white Tascan DR-2d.  Nabbed a GC deal for $170 plus tax.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:37:22 PM by techgui »

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »
i like to go from my recorder into the camcorder
that way i have the main recording and the dubbing is also done on the spot
saves a ton of time but also gives me a "backup"

I never thought of that - so you go from the headphone jack into the camera?
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »
Yes, works great.  But the output from the recorder is pretty hot.  I have to turn the Tascam DR-2d's output volume almost to zero or turn on the camcorders 12db attenuator.  With the 12 db attenuator turned on, the Tascam's output can be set to 3.  However, since other people in the family use the camcorder I don't want to have to engage the built in 12db attenuator.  Reason being, the day I forget to change the setting back, someone will use it and I'll be the bad guy.

So, the best solution is to order a Sescom LN2MIC cable.  It has 35db of attenuation built in and it's only 9 inches long.  Perfect for he job.  With this I can just plug it right into the camcorder without messing with any settings other than the output volume of the DR-2d.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/746643-REG/Sescom_LN2MIC_TASDR100_LN2MIC_TASDR100_Line_Out_to.html

They also have these cables with 25db of attenuation.  If you want to see all the variations, just search "LN2MIC"

You can also build an attenuator, but considering the cost of the LN2MIC, it's just not worth it.

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »
I use an Edirol R09-HR, so I can just adjust the headphone jack output :)

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
So can I, but my camcorders external mic input is extremely sensitive so I have to set the volume one click above zero.  I like to have a little more adjustability than that.  And as I said, I can set the camcorders mic input for -12db which works great, but I might forget to set it back.  By the way, I'm going this route because the wife and kid also use the camcorder.  And they are not interested in learning anything more than "on & Off" and "start recording & stop" .....  Otherwise I would just I turn on the built in mic attenuator and go to town.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:38:59 PM by techgui »

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »
:)  sounds good.  I just tested it with the recording I had on my card from the last show I did, and I can set the camcorder to about 40 and the R09HR to about 60 and looks like it's not clipping.

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 03:19:30 PM »
I'd be very happy with that.. 

I was surprised how well the camcorders audio sounded when being fed a good signal from my DR-2d. 

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »
actually with my Canon HFS200's mic attenuator on, I don't think I even have to mess with levels - it just cuts it to below clipping.  I wouldn't want it to be TOO hot; I can always boost in post.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 11:10:40 AM »
i like to go from my recorder into the camcorder
that way i have the main recording and the dubbing is also done on the spot
saves a ton of time but also gives me a "backup"

I never thought of that - so you go from the headphone jack into the camera?
well yes and no
the fr2le has a dual rca out but the headphone volume also adjusts the rca
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 11:13:59 AM »
Cool.  I only have a headphone out on my R09-HR but it worked out well with my ATT in my camcorder.  Currently uploading it to youtube, will post when it's done.

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 08:35:46 AM »
I received this attenuator cable a few days ago, It's perfect. 

Yes, works great.  But the output from the recorder is pretty hot.  I have to turn the Tascam DR-2d's output volume almost to zero or turn on the camcorders 12db attenuator.  With the 12 db attenuator turned on, the Tascam's output can be set to 3.  However, since other people in the family use the camcorder I don't want to have to engage the built in 12db attenuator.  Reason being, the day I forget to change the setting back, someone will use it and I'll be the bad guy.

So, the best solution is to order a Sescom LN2MIC cable.  It has 35db of attenuation built in and it's only 9 inches long.  Perfect for he job.  With this I can just plug it right into the camcorder without messing with any settings other than the output volume of the DR-2d.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/746643-REG/Sescom_LN2MIC_TASDR100_LN2MIC_TASDR100_Line_Out_to.html

They also have these cables with 25db of attenuation.  If you want to see all the variations, just search "LN2MIC"

You can also build an attenuator, but considering the cost of the LN2MIC, it's just not worth it.

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »
Cool.  I only have a headphone out on my R09-HR but it worked out well with my ATT in my camcorder.  Currently uploading it to youtube, will post when it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8BUZe9C07I

the video vibrates due to no shock mount - but the audio is decent.

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 07:13:09 PM »
That sounds very good. 

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
I know I'm late to the party but I'll put my .02 cents in since I only do video.

I do four camera mixes, with mini DV camcorders, (HD coming later).  I have all the camera's set to do 48KHz audio 16 bit.  All my camera's only do 48KHz, as my understanding is that is the default DVD standard.

I then run a separate audio rig, Superlux mics > UA5 > iriver

I set the UA5 at 48KHz, and use the iriver as a bit bucket.

I use Vegas Platinum 10 to do the editing.  I just align the camera audio with the mastered audio track, and remove the camera audio.  I do this for all four camera's.  I have done well over 200 sets this way, and have never had any drift whatsoever.  Once aligned the audio is perfectly in sync through the entire set. 

Alignment takes me about 15 minutes for all four camera's.  As you start doing it more, it becomes quick and easy because you can start to visualize the sync points.

Next month I'm going complete 24 track audio, so that will be interesting, but as my real only hobby ( I do make some $$), I quite enjoy it.

If you have any questions or want some tip feel free to PM me.  I love talking about this stuff, as you can always learn something new no matter what someone's level is.
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilqcVjasVsI

I just use an external recorder and sync in post.  But the version of my camcorder with audio inputs was $200 more than the other version (at the time).  I do have to adjust speed to make them match (when using clips longer than a minute plus).  But I have my reasons for going this route.  Lossless codec, LowPass filter before resampling to minimize aliasing, and other EQ things at 24/192.  Before going to 24/48 to sync with what the camcorder captures.  Ultimately out to 16/48 and then encoded to mp3 before going to youtube and AAC audio.  i.e. the long road.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com