Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HD Camera's soon affordable  (Read 4241 times)

Offline Weazel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • sp-cmc-8-> DIY BB -> Iriver IHP120 (rockbox)
-[ pop goes the weazel ...]-

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
Re: HD Camera's soon affordable
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 06:20:36 PM »
yay, by the time I have saved up 800$ they might have a hd camera for 800$.

Offline unataper

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 11:14:13 AM »
not sure of the model number, but I saw a JVC HD @ Wal-Mart for around $700.
"For the rules of the road have been lodged, it's people's games you have to dodge." -Bob Dylan

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 03:35:03 PM »
Quick question. I read a lot of camcorder reviews trying to find a camcorder that does well in low light.  Would you say most concerts are higher than 15 lux?

Offline Rusty M

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Private Profits, Socialized Losses
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 12:12:10 PM »
thanks for the link.  I did not know this was in the works.  If you (or others) find anything more on this, please post.  Thanks, -Rusty
One shortcut to all this BS is simply to let anyone buy into the Medacare Program for $300 a month. 

Medacare is already set up, already has covered surgeries and procedures, and other than allowing Medacare to bargain collectively with Drug Companies, it is an off the shelf program.

exactly, so why do we need a new bill?

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 04:10:17 AM »
I just broke down and bought an HC1

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 11:36:22 AM »
There's a whole lot of reasons to wait a while. Some people may disagree, but to each his own. For starters, some of these newer "so called" HD cams that are cheeper (not the HC1), are recording MPEG4 at pretty compressed rates. So, yeah, you have the resolution, but what's the point if you compress the hell out of it. Secondly, the "better" consumer HD cams (Sony at the moment) do a pretty good job, and they are using a fairly high compression MPEG2, much better than the others though. But watch out, their format HDV compresses audio too, unlike DV which records at 16/48 PCM. Other things to consider are low light performance -- the HD cams, pretty much all of them except maybe the most expensive (like tens of thousands expensive) lose you a couple of f-stops, which can make the difference in low light / available light situations (bad low light ability = noise/grain). And finally, editing/encoding HDV codec video is more complicated. Doable, but much more of a PITA. In HDV's case, because it uses MPEG2, there is inter-frame compression being used (compression ACROSS frames). This is really bad for editing, so you usually have to use an "intermediary" codec for editing (if you want to do it right). Not to mention editing at those resolutions requires a really good computer, or you can't edit in real time without dropped frames. Finally, encoding and distributing HD is also a huge PITA right now. There is no HD DVD yet (practically speaking). And even when there is (soon), there's a format war going on and the devices and media will be expensive. So, encoding to downres to normal DVD works fine, and even looks really nice coming from HD, but you better get your downres encoding setting and deinterlacing right, or it'll look like shit -- plus, again, encoding this stuff is brutal on the resource requirements for your computer. You thought ripping/encoding for DVD was bad, wait 'til you start working with HD files. HD is to DV as DV is to WAV in terms of file size/management. Anyway, just a few things to ponder. For the non-professional, I say wait, get yourself a good DV cam instead.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 12:21:41 PM »
If you see "HD" or "HDD" on the camera, don't assume the letters don't stand for "High Definition".  JVC cams use a cute little HDD logo referrring to the Hard Disk Drive recording media.  I'm sure that any confusion is pure coincidence.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 12:26:03 PM »
Yup, and a lot of those new hard disk video cams are the ones that are compressing to MPEG4. For the life of me, I can't understand why you wouldn't want to go to MiniDV tape (the ONLY reason might be the flip, but other than that I'm not sure).
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 07:03:42 AM »
encoding to downres to normal DVD works fine, and even looks really nice coming from HD, but you better get your downres encoding setting and deinterlacing right, or it'll look like shit -- plus, again, encoding this stuff is brutal on the resource requirements for your computer.
I recently authored three concerts that were shot with an HD cam (Sony HC1), and they look fantastic.  In this case, the downres was done by the camera when copying to mini-DV tapes, so it was the same as working with regular DV footage.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline bmanning

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 10:05:36 AM »
Hi,

I was gonna purchase the Sony HC1 for stealth taping but I saw on Amazon that the HC3 will be released at the end of April.  I should wait for the newer model at the same price, Right????  After all the HC1 has been on the market since last june. 

Any opinions on the HC3.  I know it hasn't been released yet....but any thoughts?  I should just wait till the end of the month rather than getting the HC1 now?????  First big camera purchase so i just wanna make sure.

thanks

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 11:58:17 PM »

Any opinions on the HC3.  I know it hasn't been released yet....but any thoughts?  I should just wait till the end of the month rather than getting the HC1 now?????  First big camera purchase so i just wanna make sure.

thanks

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HDR-HC3-Camcorder-Review.htm

Seems absolutley stunning.

I'm trying to justify blowing $1500 on a camera after reading this page!
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 12:50:37 AM »
Too bad it doesn't even have a mic input, not even a mini jack, TWO THUMBS DOWN right there on that dumb manuever alone. Sony are such idiots sometimes. The earlier model at least had mic in, doh!

Offline BuddyGoodness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 06:22:25 PM »

thanks

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HDR-HC3-Camcorder-Review.htm

Seems absolutley stunning.

I'm trying to justify blowing $1500 on a camera after reading this page!

HC1 is better and cheaper.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com