Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fritz Soundlab Mics?  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Six Toe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Fritz Soundlab Mics?
« on: December 08, 2010, 09:59:31 AM »
Anyone ever hear of these?  Never have myself, but saw this mic in particular and looked liked tapers might be interested. 
http://www.fritzsoundlab.com/fe804.html

i searched and didn't find any posts on this mic before posting.

Offline Chris Fritz

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Fritz Soundlab Mics?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:11:07 AM »
Hello tapers! I had found this thread when it was first posted, but I had never got around to posting here. I've made a lot of headway since over a year ago when I started making these mics.

For one thing, I use single opamps whenever possible now, for much more reasonable current draw. The OPA 134 only draws about 3mA, which is comparable to many discrete phantom-powered microphone circuits. Another thing, I have come out with a couple new models - the FE-128 would probably interest most tapers because of the removable capsules and the natural (meaning resonance free) sound. Also, all of the mics (except the FE-84) can tolerate high SPL up to ~150dB with the pad on. I understand that some concerts get pretty loud  :o

Since the FE-804 link is broken, here's a new link to my home page, which has some sound samples and reviews etc. www.fritzsoundlab.com

If anyone is interested in trying out a pair, shoot me an email!
-Chris Fritz

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:32:26 AM »
Hi Chris! Thanks for posting.  Im very interested in your mics.  By chance do you have any plans for a hypercard capsule?
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »
Thanks for checking in, Chris.  New mics will always get attention around here.  ;D

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »
Hello tapers! I had found this thread when it was first posted, but I had never got around to posting here. I've made a lot of headway since over a year ago when I started making these mics.

For one thing, I use single opamps whenever possible now, for much more reasonable current draw. The OPA 134 only draws about 3mA, which is comparable to many discrete phantom-powered microphone circuits. Another thing, I have come out with a couple new models - the FE-128 would probably interest most tapers because of the removable capsules and the natural (meaning resonance free) sound. Also, all of the mics (except the FE-84) can tolerate high SPL up to ~150dB with the pad on. I understand that some concerts get pretty loud  :o

Since the FE-804 link is broken, here's a new link to my home page, which has some sound samples and reviews etc. www.fritzsoundlab.com

If anyone is interested in trying out a pair, shoot me an email!
-Chris Fritz
Thanks for checking in, Chris.

Do you use FETs in the mics, or do you go directly into the FET input on the Opamps?  I'm wondering, because it *may* be possible to get better linearity from Opamps.

Second question: Can you say something about the capsules you're using?  Why alumimum mylar and not gold mylar?

I"m hoping someone (not me) will try out these mics at some point.  If they turn out to be good, the prices look reasonable.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »
don't mind me, just following the tech discussion.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chris Fritz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »
Thank you all for responding,

I don't have plans for a hyper-cardioid capsule for the FE-128 mic. I've been told that the cardioid capsule provides excellent rejection, so it is a little bit hyper-cardioid itself. If anything, I might do a hypo-cardioid version.

I do use a J202 FET between the capsule and the op-amp. Initially this was to facilitate the use of bipolar-input op-amps (and still is the main reason it is in there.) The use of a separate chip also simplifies other requirements for cleaning the board and guarding high impedance traces. I agree that it is likely that better linearity is possible with the elimination of the input FET, (or any extra parts) however I think the overall circuit design makes a bigger difference. That being said, I'm fairly certain that the circuit I use is pretty well optimized  :)

I use capsules with aluminum mylar diaphragms because it is easier for me to source. Maybe it affects the sound a little bit, but other factors such as the shape of the surrounding structure will make a much bigger difference. I believe it is more of an issue of extreme weather proofing rather than sound. Since I don't recommend submerging your prized microphone collection, I don't see it as a big issue. There may be some subtle changes in sound during a sort of 'break in' period, but it should not be objectionable. Future designs might be gold, nickel, etc. as the options become viable for me to experiment with. We'll see!

Thanks again for your interest! If you have any other questions please ask!
-Chris Fritz

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:08:20 PM »
Thanks for the tech info...

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »
Hey, folks -

I reached out to Chris Fritz and he was kind enough to send me a loaner pair of his FE-128 cardioids; the bodies have changeable capsules and omni's are also available.  The mics themselves came with mounting clips and a screwdriver to engage the internal pad (-10 and -20 dB).  My initial impression when I got them out of the box is that they are very sturdily built and fairly small.  The finish is brushed aluminum which should resist scuffs and fingerprints pretty well.  There is a spring-loaded pin that makes the contact between the body and the capsule and the threads to attach them are robust; the chance of cross-threading is pretty minimal, IMO.  For comparison, in the pictures below I have one next to an Audio-Technica AT3031 (a.k.a. AT4021) which is a fairly "standard-sized" SDC.  The Fritz microphones didn't come with windscreens but the AT screens (AT8159, I believe) seem to fit fine on them in spite of the Fritz having a smaller diameter.  As I said, these mics are pretty small so when I tried a DPA UA0896 windscreen (the large one) on for size, it nearly swallowed it up, lol.

I've brought the mics into the field for a few recordings so far and will post the first of them soon so you can compare them.  Cheers and a thank you to Chris Fritz!

Pair of Fritz FE-128's as I received them.

Closeup of capsule and body at connection.

Closeup of internal pad.

FE-128 and AT3031.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »
Hey, folks -

I reached out to Chris Fritz and he was kind enough to send me a loaner pair of his FE-128 cardioids; the bodies have changeable capsules and omni's are also available.  The mics themselves came with mounting clips and a screwdriver to engage the internal pad (-10 and -20 dB).  My initial impression when I got them out of the box is that they are very sturdily built and fairly small.  The finish is brushed aluminum which should resist scuffs and fingerprints pretty well.  There is a spring-loaded pin that makes the contact between the body and the capsule and the threads to attach them are robust; the chance of cross-threading is pretty minimal, IMO.  For comparison, in the pictures below I have one next to an Audio-Technica AT3031 (a.k.a. AT4021) which is a fairly "standard-sized" SDC.  The Fritz microphones didn't come with windscreens but the AT screens (AT8159, I believe) seem to fit fine on them in spite of the Fritz having a smaller diameter.  As I said, these mics are pretty small so when I tried a DPA UA0896 windscreen (the large one) on for size, it nearly swallowed it up, lol.

I've brought the mics into the field for a few recordings so far and will post the first of them soon so you can compare them.  Cheers and a thank you to Chris Fritz!

SCWEEETT!!! Can't wait to hear a few clips! We need to hit up a show together soon. :)

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 02:16:49 AM »
cool
please let us hear samples soon...
thanx to all involved!

~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »
First comp:
Cowboy Junkies at Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center

AKG 414 source - http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=9307
Fritz FE-128 source - http://archive.org/details/cj2012-03-10.FE128.flac16
For the AKG source: MP3 link on the page, PM me or email Dan (nyctaper[at]nyctaper.com) for the FLAC links.

Beautiful venue with amazing sound.  I realize that this is LD vs. SDC but that should make for some interesting listening.  As you can see in the photo below, I had the Fritz mics mounted right below the AKG's on my stand and both in a rough DIN config.  Not scientific, but very similar setups.  Also, those speakers you see attached to the balcony were not active during the show.  I was assured by the in-house soundman, Eric, that they only have them on when they screen surround-sound movies.  And yes, those are Keith from NY's AKG 481's hanging off the balcony above.

Anyway, definitely would like to hear some opinions.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »
I only listened to the two tracks streamed from nyctaper and the corresponding tracks on LMA. The source material is way warmer and gooier than I prefer, but I think the 414s are a bit more detailed, while the Fritz Soundlab mics are both a bit less detailed but with a brighter high end. That may just be LD vs SD. That's really about all I can say without hearing more recordings, preferably of a different genre, or in a better venue, FOB. That's how I would be using them.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 05:11:32 PM »
I also recorded Rich Robinson at Bowery Ballroom with these Fritz mics and another set of SDC's so I have another comp coming up shortly, hopefully next week.  Different genre, different venue.

I was technically right next to the board; the FOH guy was mixing wirelessly through his iPad right next to me and the console was actually behind us and off to the side.  Cowboy Junkies aren't to everyone's tastes, which is fine, but the theater itself is one of the nicest sounding I've ever been in.  You'll only do better in a symphonic hall or something of that caliber.  Any criticisms you may have about the quality of the recordings can be attributed to several other factors but the room isn't close to the top of the list.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com