Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder for DSLR cameras  (Read 124025 times)

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder for DSLR cameras
« Reply #240 on: January 28, 2015, 02:48:32 PM »
^^ And I'm guessing the new pres in the DR-680mkII are also similar to what they are using in the DR-70d but don't know for sure,  as well the DR-680mkII apparently will have the ability to gang inputs.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2015, 03:03:12 PM »
I can ask what pres will be in the new 680
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2015, 03:09:02 PM »
I looked at Tascam's website earlier this week to compare the 60dmkii, the 70d, and the 680mkii.  It looks to me like they are using the same Tascam HDDA preamps in all three models.  I could be wrong ...

I also went into a Sam Ash store yesterday (it was in the area where I had to be on business)  to look at the 22wl and 44wl.  The sales guy said Tascam has changed so many things in so many models that he was having trouble keeping with with the changes--particularly when you factor in changes to the portastudio line. 

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2015, 03:44:05 PM »
I can ask what pres will be in the new 680

That would be great. I would also be very interested to know how they differ from what's in the HS-P82 which gets very high marks in the preamp department.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2015, 03:52:10 PM »
I looked at Tascam's website earlier this week to compare the 60dmkii, the 70d, and the 680mkii.  It looks to me like they are using the same Tascam HDDA preamps in all three models.  I could be wrong ...

I also went into a Sam Ash store yesterday (it was in the area where I had to be on business)  to look at the 22wl and 44wl.  The sales guy said Tascam has changed so many things in so many models that he was having trouble keeping with with the changes--particularly when you factor in changes to the portastudio line.

The DR-60D, DR-60DmkII, And the original DR-680 all use the same op amps. 

The Tascam DR-70D was the first to upgrade to the NE5532 which is significantly better and quieter than the aforementioned.  I have a call in to see if the new DR-680mkII has the newer upgraded chips. 

I will report here once I have an answer.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2015, 03:55:06 PM »

The Tascam DR-70D was the first to upgrade to the NE5532 which is significantly better and quieter than the aforementioned.  I have a call in to see if the new DR-680mkII has the newer upgraded chips. 

Has anyone tested the pre amps in the Tascam 70 d?
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #246 on: January 28, 2015, 03:57:40 PM »

Has anyone tested the pre amps in the Tascam 70 d?

How do you want them tested?  I may have some time this week.

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

tomuo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #247 on: January 28, 2015, 08:25:48 PM »

Sam Ash was for ever a Zoom-only shop; last year they started rolling out our products, and TASCAM is working on a display booth that goes in the shops (see the TASCAM facebook page for a picture).   

The main audio improvement in the DR-680mkII comes from the upgraded op-amp, including better EIN (lower noise)

Tom.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #248 on: January 28, 2015, 10:35:18 PM »
It was the Sam Ash location in Rivergate (Nashville, TN).  They were sold out of the 22wl, but they had one in a revolving display case I understand came from Tascam.  The clerk also said Tascam had been purchased by Gibson, the guitar maker, in Nashville which I thought interesting. 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:08:44 AM by 2manyrocks »

Offline glennjr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Professional Chinese Voice Over
« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2015, 01:08:33 AM »

That would be great. Please do report back when you find out. Thx
ChineseVocal.com  - Professional Chinese Voice Over

Offline glennjr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Professional Chinese Voice Over
« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2015, 01:12:44 AM »
Has anyone compared this to the 680? Wondering if this has quieter pre's and phantom power. I'm looking to see if this recorder would work with an SPS200. Not sure if a previous poster got his answer on whether the DR70-D would be suitable or not.

At this price point and size, it would be a great alternative.

I'm also interested in using the DR70-D with my SPS200 but as long as it doesn't have a function to gang the input levels it would be to fiddly. At least it should have an exact readout of input level settings (not input signal meant) like the SD 744T. With SPS200s we need matched input levels. Didn't have the DR680 this function? Maybe the better preamps make the new MK II an alternative, although not so compact?

Yeah, the 680 does quite well with the SPS200. Though I'm unhappy with its performance in high gain situations (noise!). I'm looking to downsize my rig size. I offroad a lot to many of my recording locations. Smaller packages are extremely welcome. I may just pick up the MKii when it's available (I destroyed two channels on my 680), but was hoping the DR70D would fit the bill.
ChineseVocal.com  - Professional Chinese Voice Over

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #251 on: January 29, 2015, 10:26:12 AM »

Am I wrong to be concerned about not fully discharging a battery every so often?

Not wrong. I think you want to fully exercise them at least periodically but it's not as muchof a problem with newer battery types.

It's my understanding that lithium batteries shouldn't be fully discharged. It's of no benefit and could actually harm the battery (although they have some type of protective circuit to prevent that). That's from a gear maker friend; I trust his opinion but I don't really know anything about batteries myself!

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #252 on: January 29, 2015, 10:36:40 AM »

Am I wrong to be concerned about not fully discharging a battery every so often?

Not wrong. I think you want to fully exercise them at least periodically but it's not as muchof a problem with newer battery types.

It's my understanding that lithium batteries shouldn't be fully discharged. It's of no benefit and could actually harm the battery (although they have some type of protective circuit to prevent that). That's from a gear maker friend; I trust his opinion but I don't really know anything about batteries myself!

Unit works great off of a USB powered battery
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2015, 01:23:44 PM »
Just got back on the the taping bandwagon after a 1yr or so layoff and picked this up as a gift to myself with fantasy football winnings.  ;D

Impressive unit for the price.

Testing it now with 4 new energizer 2600 AA rechargebles with 24V phantom power...1st time charged the batts and at the 2:29 mark and still recording...so not bad. Have a small sliver left and set to nimh battery setting. I will probably want a backup and am looking now for one. Thanks for all the tips in prior posts. I have a smaller 4800mah backup that i use to charge my android. Waiting for the battery low so i can switch on the backup to see if there are any negative side effects.

I highly recommend the Reference manual on tascams's site for some additonal reading as it has some info the manual that came boxed does not cover. It answered a few questions that I was having. Such as:

Meters...was wondering where the meters where since there are no number markings...there is a bolded down arrow thing and per the reference manual this is -16dB

Peak light...If i understand this correcly the peak lights (near the gain knobs) only light when using a mic input, not when using a line input...from pg 6:

1/L knob and PEAK indicator – Use this knob to adjust the input level from the 1/L connector on the left side of the unit. The 1/L PEAK indicator lights when the 1/L input level is about to cause distortion. This also lights if distortion occurs in the analog circuitry during mic input. This will not light, however, if distortion occurs in the analog circuitry during line input. (See “Adjusting the input level” on page 19.)

Do I have that right? Anyone tested the peak light with line in while recording, does it light up?

Also I wish they told us where exactly the point the peak light comes on instead of just "about to cause distortion".
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »
Pretty sure I had the peak light going off when doing some cassette transfers via RCA > 1/8 input on channels 1/2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com