Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-4  (Read 33505 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Edirol R-4
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2004, 10:01:43 AM »
SWEET, it has its own mic...now I will not only have an all in one box...but that will include the mics...like my first realistic tape deck!!! :P

I was just thinking the same thing!!!  Why only two mics though?  Should have four...

You know, they could lose all that wave editing crap, and prolly make it significantly cheaper.  I am really giddy about this thing- hope its affordable.

Maybe Guitar Center will carry them, so we can check them out on "musicians loan" 
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2004, 10:06:08 AM »
haha, says it'll run off of 8 AA's or ac power.  ok smart power people, what does that mean.  will a 9v be sufficient?

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2004, 10:30:10 AM »
AAs = 1.5V each. 8 in series = 12V.

Will it run off of 9? That depends on the tolerances of the power supply.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2004, 10:45:57 AM »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Flarnet

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2004, 10:47:11 AM »
Anything from 12 to 9 Volts will probably be acceptable (since 8 Alkalines puts out 12V and rechargables put out about 9.5V).

Any takers on price? The closest shipping competitor with 4 microphone inputs is the Zaxcom Deva 5 at about 12 000 USD. The closest vaporware competitor is the Zaxcom Fusion at about 5 000.
Two FR-2s (at God-knows-how-many pounds with 16 AA batteries and all) are about 3 000 when you include media and power adapter.
It looks really plastic and toy-ish to me. I'm guessing 1 999 or 2 499 list.

Their biggest problem is target group. Most musicians don't give a rats ass about microphone inputs or 4 channels (and those who do want a hell of a lot more than 4 channels - they want a MDM). Most tapers are not ready for surround taping in terms of their other gear so if it's significantly more than the FR-2 they will have absolutely no reason to buy it (disregarding storage issues).

The lack of 4 channels of digital input is also a REAL bummer. Provided that it is bit perfect (don't count on it - look at the broschure how all data passes through the dsp unit) it COULD have been the killer machine for newbies, a perfect 3-step machine. First you go straight in. Then when you wanna upgrade you get a Lunatec V3 or similar. Then when you wanna go surround you get another V3.

All in all it's another nice option. Unfortunately it's also vaporware and I don't really feel like the 722 and the Fusion needs any company in that department.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2004, 10:47:46 AM »
AAs = 1.5V each. 8 in series = 12V.

Will it run off of 9? That depends on the tolerances of the power supply.

Alkaline cells are 1.5V.  Rechargable NiMH AA cells are 1.2V.  That would make it 9.6V dc from 8 AA rechargable cells.  The device will tolerate voltage input of 1.5V per cell but I'm sure they designed it to work with the 1.2V rechargable cells.  The spec says external 9V DC source so the 9.6V RC rechargables should work fine as an external source.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2004, 10:59:37 AM »
good to know on the batteries, now will it be bit accurate and how pricey will it be?  i think if its bit accurate and around $1000 it might outsell a lot of the other products out right now and possibly even the sd722/44 - most people will be running their favorite pre's outfront anyway.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Chrysler

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2004, 11:02:08 AM »
great device, i only hope that there'll be another device with digi-in and palm-size for stealth-tapers...Even the R-1 is kinda big...compared to D100 or MD
DPA 4060/4061/4081/4011/4015/4018  > Tascam DR-10L Pro | Zoom F-3 | DPA MMP-GR/GS > DPA D:VICE > iphone 12 mini

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2004, 11:12:49 AM »
i don't think stealth tapers are ever going to get the recorder they're looking for.  but then again, i don't know what kind of shows you guy stape, cuz i've never had a problem stealthing my nomad.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2004, 11:53:10 AM »
Understanding that the R-4 isn't targeted at us, specifically, as an audience, I have a tough time in general - taking into account other target markets - WTF they were thinking by including the following:

• Built-in Non-Directional Mics
  • Five High-Quality Effects
  • Waveform Editing
  • Built-In Stereo Speakers
Didn't see where the power plug lives and couldn't figure it out from any of the images.  I'm guessing it's on the rear of the unit, of which there are no pics.

Provided that it is bit perfect (don't count on it - look at the broschure how all data passes through the dsp unit)

Given Edirol's track record, I, too, doubt it'll be bit-perfect.  But, I don't see in the brochure any indication that all incoming signals route through the DSP unit.  As I see it in the block diagram (attached), the incoming signal can be routed selectively either through the DSP unit or bypass it outright.

Edited for formatting.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 12:03:19 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2004, 12:34:26 PM »
Digital Input
32kHz to 96kHz
(Convert to internal sample rate)

Methinks this means it's not bit accurate on digital input.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2004, 12:35:49 PM »
Digital Input
32kHz to 96kHz

Good catch, I missed that one.  I bet you're right.   :-\

And I wonder how exactly they dither from 24- to 16-bits.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2004, 12:47:10 PM »
Didn't see where the power plug lives and couldn't figure it out from any of the images.  I'm guessing it's on the rear of the unit, of which there are no pics.

It's next to the USB out on the left pannel.
Retired Taper

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2004, 12:48:44 PM »
Digital Input
32kHz to 96kHz

But if you go mic/line-in that shouldn't be a problem though, right? Its only a problem if you want to run an outboard A/D. right?

Retired Taper

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2004, 12:54:32 PM »
no firewire, bummer
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com