Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Superlux tapers step inside please...  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Superlux tapers step inside please...
« on: November 16, 2004, 03:10:10 PM »
Hey, so I started off with Superlux SMK-H8Ks in May of 03'. Now Im up to ADK TLs, which I like, but they are just so damn big. And I was thinking back to my tapes from when I had the SMKs, and they are probably my favorite tapes I've ever made! But, listening to them I also realize that there doesnt seem to be much bass in them. But the whole time I used them I had a mixpad, so I never ran them with a decent preamp. I just wanted to hear some others thoughts on the Superluxs with a good preamp... I cant figure out if the lack of bass is the mics, or the pre or what... What do you guys think? thanks.

Offline jesse

• Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
Re: Superlux tapers step inside please...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 04:04:11 PM »
Gota love that lux sound.   I would like to find a SMK-H8k>V3  tape but not to many people pair up 100$ mics with a 1600$ pre.   I like mojowill's w.mod UA-5 superlux tapes.  Maybe when I get new mics(hopefully soon) I'll post a thread to see If any V3 tapers would use my luxes for a little experiment. ;)
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

Life is hard. I only have a vauge recollection of when it wasn't kicking my ass.

Offline Swampy

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 04:10:10 PM »
I think Jef might lend me his minime, so maybe I could try that combo...

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 04:15:30 PM »
While I have not run the lux's (yet at least). I'd say much like the akg c1000s which also lacked in bass. Using a better Pre will definately help out that abit. I'm looking at a UA5 for use when I get some lux's in the future. I don't to many shows these days so I'm looking for the most cost effective rig. When I ran my c1000s and added a Inbox/ad20 into the mix. It helped tremendously. Also what configs have you tried woth the lux's? I would assume that running DIN may help fill out the sound (I know it did on the c1000s).
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline jesse

• Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 04:35:35 PM »
I think Jef might lend me his minime, so maybe I could try that combo...

Let me know I would love to hear these tapes.  It would be a great time to go back to team lux with hypers and omnis available.  With my Smk-H8k>UA-5 tapes the bass could have a little more body to it.  How would you compare the TL's to the luxes price not being a factor.  upgrading to the TL's,  391's, or SP-C4's so would like to hear youre thoughts on the TL's.
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

Life is hard. I only have a vauge recollection of when it wasn't kicking my ass.

Offline Swampy

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 05:00:04 PM »
All things being fair, Superluxs with with cards, hypers, and omnis cost almost as much at the TLs (which have figure 8s too) so IMO, one could definitely put them in the same price category! Honestly the luxes made some of my favorite tapes, but the bass always seemed to lack. Never had that big bottom end that you hear at the shows, but I only ran them with a crappy mixpad. Then went to the 391s (with a DMIC-20). LOVED the sound of these mics, so warm and such great low end. But, I didnt like only being able to afford the cards so I got the TLs. I like having the four patterns, thats great. The sound is more transparent, definitely not as warm as the 391s, but IMO its hard to find a situation where you cant make them sound pretty good. Definitely a good sounding versitile mic.

radioboy1977

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 05:02:44 PM »
buy swampy's shit ;D

oh... wait... wrong thread :P

Offline Swampy

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 05:03:53 PM »
hehe

radioboy1977

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 05:08:41 PM »
you know, now that i think about it, the MME would probably warm up both the TL's and the superlux's.  why don't you run the MME a few times with your TL's and see what you think?

Offline Swampy

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 05:33:24 PM »
Im sure Id like it, but I could probably never afford it... How much are they?

radioboy1977

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 05:38:13 PM »
i think they go used on ebay from anywhere between 700 and 900 bucks.  start putting in some extra hours at the library ;D

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 07:20:41 AM »
Gota love that lux sound.   I would like to find a SMK-H8k>V3  tape but not to many people pair up 100$ mics with a 1600$ pre.   

give me some time.  i used to run the lux's, just got a v3...i might go dig out the lux's just for shits and giggles cuz i'm kinda interested in what it'd sound like too.  maybe next time my friends practice.

when my friend bought the luxes with all three sets of caps, i could swear that he paid just under $200 for them or just over $200 - they were dirt cheap, but i think their prices have went up since then.  good mics imo.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 12:46:31 AM »
I think the sp c4's are a warm mic, more so then the luxes. my impression of the luxes are the oktava mk-012 with out the bloated low end.  if I wasn't such a lazy ass I'd run that superlux vs. c4 comp. I do need to test a laptop that I'm currently rebuilding to put up for sale...
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 12:55:18 AM »
That is sort of my only complaint about the Lux's...it does seem like the they are lacking a bit in the low end.   Especially the hypers, so I am back to using the cards more often now unless it is a real crappy sounding venue.   
Whoa, but the omni's had a ton of bass(or at least a tons more than I am used to with my mics)...I ran them outdoors on a side stage at the Gorge and it sounded really different than normally.   Will probably had to somehow edit that recording to tone it down a bit.   The other time I ran split omni's though turned out very nice for an outdoor OAR/Guster/Howie show.

For configurations I pretty much stick to DIN or close to it(sometimes a little narrower depending on situation).   Every time I've run XY with them I've never really liked the results.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 09:14:27 PM »
Not to steer off topic (kinda...), but has anyone tried the LD Superluxes? Thinking about getting a pair of CM-H8C's in the future and wanted to see what people think about them before I buy them. Still deciding on my next mics. Think I may stay with LD's for a while (just to be different :D). Let me know.

Jarod
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 10:55:46 PM »
How much of a "downgrade"  is it from the TLs?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2004, 02:48:05 AM »
Don't know how much of a "downgrade" sound wise it is from the TLs, but I can note some other "downgrades". As much as I can tell, the Superlux is a bit lighter/smaller. Comes with three paterns (cardroid, omni, figure 8), and external switches for a 10 dB pad and low frequency rolloff. About $600 for a match pair through Superlux. Don't think any recordings exist with these, but I wanted see if anyone has tried them to see what they sound like. Here is a picture of one:

-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2004, 04:08:40 AM »
Dang, $600?  I would hope they'd be a lot cheaper than that cause TL's wouldn't be that much more than that.   Don't they run like $750 or so new?   $650 used.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2004, 07:18:28 AM »
Dang, $600?  I would hope they'd be a lot cheaper than that cause TL's wouldn't be that much more than that.   Don't they run like $750 or so new?   $650 used.

TL's can be had for around 650 for a new unmatched set, and 750 new for a matched set if you know where to look (i happen to know, if anyones interested!)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com