Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II  (Read 101126 times)

Offline meatballs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II
« Reply #285 on: October 27, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »
I just purchased a D50 used for ($375) from the yard sale. I'm taking the little idiot to Cuba to record street rappers.

The posts here were a great influence on my decision -- thanks! However, I can't help but now wonder.... what is the longest thread in tapersection history?

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2009, 08:24:18 AM »
However, I can't help but now wonder.... what is the longest thread in tapersection history?

the original team pittsburgh thread. it was deleted years ago.  :P
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline meatballs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #287 on: October 28, 2009, 06:27:59 PM »
Pittsburgh !!!

I was searching around lastnight for stand / mounting options for the D50 and came across this:
 lumedyne extension post B&H # LUATP6. I'm thinking..... buy the post and clamp to the post or put the post in a shockmount.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #288 on: November 28, 2009, 12:01:27 PM »
Can anyone confirm the use of Sony or Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo MARK 2 cards (16gb) for the PCM-D50?  I am looking to pick up one soon.  Some good deals on ebay on these older cards which should operate at speeds to handle the 24/44.1 that I will throw at it. 

I have a Pro Duo HG (4gb) but want to expand for the spring festivals. 

Looking at the Ultra II and the Mark 2 cards which I think should handle the write speeds.  I know Ultra II is much faster but Mark 2 should handle it.  Thanks for any info. ???
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #289 on: November 28, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »
Can anyone confirm the use of Sony or Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo MARK 2 cards (16gb) for the PCM-D50?  I am looking to pick up one soon.  Some good deals on ebay on these older cards which should operate at speeds to handle the 24/44.1 that I will throw at it. 

I have a Pro Duo HG (4gb) but want to expand for the spring festivals. 

Looking at the Ultra II and the Mark 2 cards which I think should handle the write speeds.  I know Ultra II is much faster but Mark 2 should handle it.  Thanks for any info. ???

I have a 16GB Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark 2 card and I have been running it for a year without any problems.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #290 on: November 28, 2009, 01:19:25 PM »
Thanks.  Looks like Sony says the same.
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/support-info.pl?&info_id=19

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #291 on: November 28, 2009, 01:23:46 PM »
There is a vendor selling 16Gb Mark 2 for $26. Just ordered from the guy in China. I'll let you know once I get it. Thanks again.

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #292 on: November 28, 2009, 03:28:47 PM »
There is a vendor selling 16Gb Mark 2 for $26. Just ordered from the guy in China. I'll let you know once I get it. Thanks again.

Lots of counterfeit cards coming from China via eBay.  Be careful...
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #293 on: November 28, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »
Always a risk you are right about that. I guess if it's not Mark 2 or fast enough, I will get the unrecognized media error message. What's the best price anyone has seen on 16gb Mark 2's?

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #294 on: November 29, 2009, 01:05:45 AM »
I wouldn't touch memory chips on ebay with the item location in China with a 10 foot pole.  I bought mine a year ago for around $100.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline tekdroid

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #295 on: November 29, 2009, 06:56:39 PM »
Always a risk you are right about that. I guess if it's not Mark 2 or fast enough, I will get the unrecognized media error message. What's the best price anyone has seen on 16gb Mark 2's?

16GB Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo (Mark 2) are currently $64.95 at B&H.

The PCM-D50 was released before Mark 2 sticks were re-branded like they are, so Sony's little compatibility table looks like it was updated for recent times (it doesn't just take Mark 2 or HG sticks).

I've heard from numerous reports it runs fine on Memory Stick Pro Duo not labelled Mark 2 (I am using a Mark 2 card, however). The manual itself says "Memory Stick Pro HG-Duo" and "Memory Stick Pro Duo (High Speed)" which nearly all the regular ones are.

According to Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Stick
"All Memory Stick PROs larger than 1 GB support this High Speed mode".

So you should be fine with a regular Memory Stick Pro Duo of recent vintage, though it seems to make sense for Sony to push you into buying a card branded Mark 2 to simplify their table, even though these cards didn't even exist when the PCM-D50 was released.

http://www.memorystick.com/en/memorystick/feature/index.html#p02
The Mark 2 sticks, incidentally, just specify a minimum write speed of 15mbps, which isn't anything special. Remember these are megaBITs per second, not megaBYTES.

eBay and memory sticks: just say no.

It's a surprise to me that Sony (or Sandisk or whoever) can't buy some fakes, prove that they are to eBay, and shut every seller down who deals in the stuff. They are hurting their reputations by letting it continue.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:08:22 PM by tekdroid »

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #296 on: November 29, 2009, 07:57:20 PM »
Thanks for the info.

So, how fast do the cards need to write to handle 2 channel 24/44.1 ? 

ilduclo

« Reply #297 on: December 01, 2009, 11:15:53 AM »
Pittsburgh !!!

I was searching around lastnight for stand / mounting options for the D50 and came across this:
 lumedyne extension post B&H # LUATP6. I'm thinking..... buy the post and clamp to the post or put the post in a shockmount.

I've just been using a camera tripod with a pan and tilt head. I think the $19 10' light stands on EBay might work ok for higher mounting. The camera tripod I have (cheapo) is light and collapses to about 18", I taped the whole body of the tripod to an overhead beam, the pan and tilt let me face the mics right where I wanted. Nice results.....

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #298 on: December 01, 2009, 11:56:59 AM »
Thanks for the info.

So, how fast do the cards need to write to handle 2 channel 24/44.1 ?
http://www.sounddevices.com/calculator/index.html 

Offline xpander

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #299 on: December 23, 2009, 09:16:48 AM »
Ok people, time is near for my annual arctic expenditure. If anybody wants me to do some specific tests while there, please let me know. The temperatures will be about -20 C (-4 F) or lower, last year we got down to -30 C at one point.

No, I probably won't soak my D50 in icy water and let it freeze, but if you can think something less radical that you might want to know about cold weather handling, I might be able to arrange some field tests.

I reckon most here won't try and catch The Frozen Mouse & The Snow Crickets winter tour anyway, so this probably won't interest regular "tapers" as such.  ;)
But if you ever wondered the working limits of the device, this is one chance to get an idea.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:27:38 AM by xpander »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com