Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps small rig  (Read 33565 times)

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps small rig
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2010, 02:25:07 PM »

I have the 4's and 41's and wouldn't give up either pair. In certain venues the 41's shine,
outside as others have mentioned the 4's will be better and if you get up close in a great
sounding room or hall the 4's will be better.

Everything depends on what you tape, where you tape and what position you tape from.
If you get bad seats all the time, go for the 41's.

I agree with Ed.   Each cap has its purpose. 

I started out with the 41's, love(d) them, and eventually picked up a pair of 4's.  I'd say now that my 4's are in use 85/90% of the time.  I'm usually in pretty good seats and mostly stay away from arena-type shows.  But it's great to have the 41's in reserve for those less-than-ideal rooms or the rare stadium/arena show.  The 41's also come out if I'm running open and forced to run from the back in a deep, deep room.

Picked up some MK4v's a while back thinking they'd eventually replace my MK4's . . . only to discover that, depending upon the style of hat I wear, I need both.   ;D

Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
What Ed said.  The sound there was simply awful.  I almost didn't post my recording.

First off, that Springsteen concert you mentioned is a bad show to listen to what the schoeps can do. I was there and thought the sound was terrible.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline skaggs

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2010, 09:24:41 PM »
what josephine said.  i have 4's, 41's and 2s.  definately like them split outdoors. 

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2011, 08:05:43 AM »
Sorry to bump my own topic, but I'm going to Washington DC in about a month because my short movie is going to screen at DC Shorts, a festival there. During that time I wondered if anyone know of any good stores where I might be able to pick up some components to a Schoeps rig, I really like Darktrain's rig (MK41 caps, CMR, tinybox, M10 etc)? Maybe I'll buy some stuff in the yard sale on the forum, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to take a look at some stores and maybe save some money on shipping. The dollar is favourably low compared to the Norwegian currency as well.
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »
Sorry to bump my own topic, but I'm going to Washington DC in about a month because my short movie is going to screen at DC Shorts, a festival there. During that time I wondered if anyone know of any good stores where I might be able to pick up some components to a Schoeps rig, I really like Darktrain's rig (MK41 caps, CMR, tinybox, M10 etc)? Maybe I'll buy some stuff in the yard sale on the forum, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to take a look at some stores and maybe save some money on shipping. The dollar is favourably low compared to the Norwegian currency as well.

Might ask here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=144279.0
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »

the money you pay in taxes will probably be higher than the shipping charges. Most Schoeps retailers don't keep stock. Contact Professional Sound for pricing and they will ship to you quickly. You can email Justin@pro-sound.com for pricing

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2011, 11:51:09 AM »

the money you pay in taxes will probably be higher than the shipping charges. Most Schoeps retailers don't keep stock. Contact Professional Sound for pricing and they will ship to you quickly. You can email Justin@pro-sound.com for pricing

I agree with all of that (including contacting Justin), and I wonder what the VAT for EU import would be, that might be enough to tip it in favor of getting it here and taking it home. Something to look into before coming state-side.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »

I agree with all of that (including contacting Justin), and I wonder what the VAT for EU import would be, that might be enough to tip it in favor of getting it here and taking it home. Something to look into before coming state-side.

He will be in the states so it will be a domestic purchase. no importation tax if he brings it back on his person.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2011, 12:51:07 PM »

He will be in the states so it will be a domestic purchase. no importation tax if he brings it back on his person.

yes, mine was in reference to shipping if he gets it shipped to the EU it will go through customs (with VAT).

What I think you're getting at is if he has time, to contact Pro-Sound and have it shipped to his hotel right as he arrives so he can take it home himself. That would get the best of both worlds.

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »
I guess my "shopping list" would be:

2x MK41 caps > 2x CMR(-cables) terminated to mini-XLR (4-pin? 5? 6?) > tinybox (6-pin mini-xlr input, afaik this needs to be ordered from Naiant) > Sony M10. I'm not going to buy everything in 1 go I think as my bank account would probably bend backwards haha.

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2011, 05:53:47 PM »
Well i would say get the tinybox because you can also set up your AT's to run off that as well, they are six pin now so people have been having Jon build them a single six pin to duel three pin breakout cable then just terminate each of your mics with single three pin minis , the cmrs and mk41's arent much good without a power source but maybe the cost savings will be great enough to do it and compared to the cost of the caps and cmrs the tinybox is not much(less than 200)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2011, 09:18:32 PM »

Agreed, I deal w/ Justin at Pro Sound as well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED salesperson :) I ordered my KCY from him a few weeks back. Just waiting on Germany to send it to Justin, so he can then send it my way ;D 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2011, 04:58:25 PM »
I'm in contact with Justin now, so I might bite the bullet and order CMRs and a M10 from him. However, should the CMRs be terminated into one 5-pin or 4-pin mini XLR? I've seen numbers from 4-6 in various topics on the forum  ???

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »
I'm in contact with Justin now, so I might bite the bullet and order CMRs and a M10 from him. However, should the CMRs be terminated into one 5-pin or 4-pin mini XLR? I've seen numbers from 4-6 in various topics on the forum  ???

It can be whatever it needs to be depending on your use case. If you want to run directly into a Tinybox/LittleBox v1.5, you'll need a 6pin.

With adapter cables, any configuration is possible. Feel free to shoot me a PM to discuss specifics. There are a lot of options.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »

Awesome, congrats :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.188 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com