Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dream playback device...  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Dream playback device...
« on: June 30, 2005, 08:22:40 AM »
we spend enough time on here discussing the dream recording device (24/96. digi in, small, etc) and with the m-audio looking like it might be that box, i was thinking this morning about how much id like to have something similar for playback. im thinking, HDD slot (either for laptop drives or pcmcia drives), CF slot, with built in usb2.0 out, firewire out, digi out, and a good headphone amp and d/a and of course playback of 24/96 audio and flac support. i mean i love 24 bit files, but i hate having to dl 2 versions of shows so i can burn one to cd for my discman on the subway, and have one for my at home leisure listening. i want a 24-bit ipod :P

what else would others want in such a box? whats the likely hood of it ever happening (slim to none)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Dream playback device...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 09:26:01 AM »
I want one of these...  Of course, I'd have to sell a kidney first...

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 09:54:46 AM »
If Grace ever updated that thing to USB2/FW so it could do 24/96 or 24/192 over the computer interface, I'd buy one in a second. Balanced outputs would be nice too (my amp has the option of balanced inputs).
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 10:16:47 AM »
i guess i shoulda been more clear. i was thinking something portable really. like an audiophile ipod. i thought that might spark some discussion (lord knows we can spend pages upon pages luminating on our dream recorders)

oh well

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 11:24:59 AM »
i want a meitner dcc2 but that's not answering your question :)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 12:03:00 PM »
Why download two versions of a show?
Just get the 24-bit one and dither down (& resample) using the method of preference.

I like teh idea of the device you describe but I guess that the option overload will make it costly. CF/SD/etc could be done with IEEE1394 or USB adapters so maybe just add the HD slot and voila?

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 12:46:17 PM »
i thought about a HD slot in this dream device, but that would make it HUGE loud and hot. way too much to ever be kept in a pocket.

as for why dl 2? its easier to just DL to than to batch dither/resample a whole show IMO. thats just me though

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 05:32:24 PM »
well i cannot see why you wouldnt just have the M-Audio device as your portable player as well. You could simply just have shows on CF and swap them when you want to listen to a show. It has a headphone out
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Tall Adam

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 06:25:39 PM »
that is true...good call man. if it has a good headphone amp then itll be my dream box i guess...(no flac playback though)

add that to the list of expectations for this thing ::)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 07:00:02 AM »
and with ability to put music on a $200 dollar CF chip...you'll be rolling in 24bt tunes for.....a couple hours!
:)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 03:34:49 PM »
You can do most of what you are looking for with an IPAQ PDA.  I have a program called Pocked Player that plays 24 bit wav files.  I'm not sure about the current status of FLAC playback, but I know someone is working on it.  Some models have a CF slot, but most have SD.  Nick is right about capacity, though.  Right now you can't get CF or SD cards that will hold more than a couple hours of 24 bit music.
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 07:33:07 PM »
This is posted on the oade board and I am really thinking about picking 1 up

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_overview.html

30-day Money back Guarantee

24/48 Burr-Brown DACs

RCA and COAX out.

wifi or Ethernet. Supports FLAC and the other major formats. Internet radio. remote.

Any one have 1 of these and care to give a review ?
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 01:38:21 AM »

24/48 Burr-Brown DACs

RCA and COAX out.

wifi or Ethernet. Supports FLAC and the other major formats. Internet radio. remote.

it's been talked about a few times on this board.... dnsacks has one, as does ethan... I've heard positive things. It also has optical out I believe
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 10:34:37 AM »

24/48 Burr-Brown DACs

RCA and COAX out.

it's been talked about a few times on this board.... dnsacks has one, as does ethan... I've heard positive things. It also has optical out I believe

i thought you bought one of these things - i guess you didnt, and that is why you are messing with fb2k...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 10:45:01 AM »

I have one, I really love the convenience and the wireless nature of the thing (even though i'm not using the wireless ethernet, its much easier to run 1 cat 5 to my stereo than a pair of nice RCAs).  I must admit I haven't done much critical listening with the thing yet though.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 03:51:45 PM »
My dream playback device is:

An audiophile unit using rubycon/blackgates, a huge power supply, digital and analog in and out coax and aes and optical, wireless compatibility, and most important, let me hook a hard drive up to thing and browse until I find what I want, and simply play it without needing a computer screen or any other nonsense.  The new denon unit may just be that, but Denon tends to release things before they are ready, so I will propbably wait a couple months regardless.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com