Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony HDR-MV1 audio/video recorder  (Read 4753 times)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Sony HDR-MV1 audio/video recorder
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/sony-hdr-mv1-music-video-recorder/

Sony announced a new audio/video recorder at the IFA convention in Berlin.  The $300 device is called the HDR-MV1.
1080/30p video, 44.1 stereo audio. Sorta like X/Y mics mounted to the end of the case.  Input for external mics (probably 3.5mm jack).
WiFi and NFC links to smartphones or optional Sony wrist-mounted video remote.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:18:53 PM by flintstone »

Offline tekdroid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony HDR-MV1 audio/video recorder
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 06:05:38 AM »
Interesting device. I thought it was quite unique until I found out that Sony has been watching closely at what competitors are doing:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/q3hd
http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/q2hd

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 08:45:28 AM »
I saw a zoom one being used by a band to webcast their show
It was about 30 ft back and full stage, no zoom, mixed audio with a tapers rig
Decent picture though
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »
I saw a zoom one being used by a band to webcast their show
It was about 30 ft back and full stage, no zoom, mixed audio with a tapers rig
Decent picture though

You would have been surprised at the sound of the internals too, if they hadn't mixed some external sound. Excellent device. I actually found it more useful /surprising regarding its sound quality than the video one.

The Sony device looks good, let's see how they deliver...
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »
It seems this device could be a nice competitor to zoom q3 hd ( and q2) and tascam and Olympus ls-20m.

As from what I saw on youtube clips, Zoom hasn't a decent video quality and only offers the possibility to adjust the input gain in three fixed steps. Then I personally don't trust zoom that much...

Olympus seems to have a slightly better video quality ( poor in low light, I suspect), but built in-mics suffer from very poor low end and line input has a -6db nominal level. Probably hard to couple with external preamps.

Sony's advertises a good video quality in low light conditions...if true it's maybe a good product, given what they have done in audio field  with m-10 or d-50. One think I really don't understand nowadays is the limitation to 16 bit pcm recording!  I know that true 24 bit may prove far from real performances, but at least it allows to set a conservative input level to raise in post.

What do you think about all this?

thanks a lot

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »
Looks to be f 2.8 lens with 120 degree wide angle.  Don't see any manual zoom on it.  LCD screen appears to be fixed on side of recorder.  How are you supposed to hold it, focus it on the band, and see what's being recorded?  You'd also have to be standing in the right spot without a manual zoom unless you're going to use digital zoom. 

48/16k recording. 

Released just enough before Christmas with a media blitz  to get on kid's want lists. 

Only time and actual user experience will tell. 

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 03:56:19 PM »
It seems this device could be a nice competitor to zoom q3 hd ( and q2) and tascam and Olympus ls-20m.

As from what I saw on youtube clips, Zoom hasn't a decent video quality and only offers the possibility to adjust the input gain in three fixed steps. Then I personally don't trust zoom that much...

Olympus seems to have a slightly better video quality ( poor in low light, I suspect), but built in-mics suffer from very poor low end and line input has a -6db nominal level. Probably hard to couple with external preamps.

Sony's advertises a good video quality in low light conditions...if true it's maybe a good product, given what they have done in audio field  with m-10 or d-50. One think I really don't understand nowadays is the limitation to 16 bit pcm recording!  I know that true 24 bit may prove far from real performances, but at least it allows to set a conservative input level to raise in post.

What do you think about all this?

thanks a lot

I have yet to see a manufacturer who claims poor low light performance.

Your logic regarding 24 bit misses a crucial point. Many of these devices generate self-noise that exceeds the quantization noise of 16 bit sampling. In other words, they fail to achieve even 16 bit performance. Your idea that you can use lower recording levels and compensate in post will raise this noise floor along with the signal. 24 bit does not raise the ceiling, it lowers the floor. And if something else, like the preamp or mic or a/d or all of them combined, create a noise floor greater than 16 bit, then 24 bit recording can't fix it.

Fran

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 06:32:31 PM »
From a video standpoint, I gotta ask how this could be an improvement over most other available camcorders that have zoom lens and folding view screens?  (and for which there are plenty of reviews on line)

From an audio standpoint, maybe the two mics are an improvement over standard camcorders, but what would be the advantage over say a standard camcorder + a couple of Ca11's or small Naiant mics?  Is the internal preamp better than the other consumer camcorders? 

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 07:25:53 PM »
The audio advantage consists in the fact that consumer camcorders providing an audio input for external mikes ( so far not the really entry level) don't feature a manual gain control. Besides this, the preamp quality is mostly awful compared to audio recorder.

Assuming that 24/16 bit won't make any audible difference ( according to fguidry's post), this sony videorecorder audio section is expected to be comparable to recorders like m-10 or Edirol r-09 hr.

If it will prove to have decent internal mics and even a good quality input for external mikes/preamps, this would be a nice piece of gear to consider

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 06:09:00 AM »
maybe the two mics are an improvement over standard camcorders, but what would be the advantage over say a standard camcorder + a couple of Ca11's or small Naiant mics? 

None. Maybe the price :P Definitely not the quality though.

I think this will be a useful thing for recording rehearsals and garage demos (that's what most people use the Q3HD for) - not for acutal live setups at a venue or something like that. It also seems to be bulkier than its competitors, and the sideways screen will be a pain like 2manyrocks points out. IF it had some optical zoom (even just 2 or 3x), it would be a serious competitor to the Zooms or the Olympus. Without the zoom... Meh.
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com