Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: microtrack levels set to min and its still peaking...any advice?  (Read 7335 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: microtrack levels set to min and its still peaking...any advice?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 04:04:42 AM »
No luck with bhphoto or sweetwater.
Its really amazing that someone has to go through this much trouble just to get an appropriate signal
with the MT.

B&H
AT 8202 (switchable -10-20-30 db)
Whirlwind IMPAD30 (fixed -30db)

Sweetwater
Pro Co Max10 (fixed -10dB)
Pro Co Max20 (fixed -20dB)
Pro Co Max30 (fixed -30dB)

Froogle
And a Froogle search reveals boatloads of retailers for the Shure A15AS (switchable -15-20-25 dB)

Local
Additionally, your local musician gear shop probably carries them in stock, and if not will likely order whatever you wish.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 04:26:49 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline oleg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2005, 06:07:47 AM »
10db wouldn't be enought  to be on the safe side with maximum 20 dbu out from console
the 30 might be to much
better make the attenuation directly in your cable if the rig is working that way - less joints and less weight , the same attenuation you can do with 10 resistors which cost 2$ and if you dont solder its not more the 30( half hour work) in your local electronic fixer shop
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 10:01:04 AM by oleg »
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2005, 11:20:50 AM »
Anyone have some advice at running tape out of an MP2 to 1/4" line in on the MT?

How have you guys who are running analog 1/4" in on the MT been successful?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2005, 01:28:15 PM »
you need 6-10 db attenuators to run it with 8 dbv maximum the mp-2 deliver  before start to clip or  if  you don't insert these avoid  to run hotter then 12 dbu on the mp-2, you can calibrate the limiters for 10 dbu
but the  att is still better way for proper working

oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2005, 04:32:11 PM »
Its really amazing that someone has to go through this much trouble just to get an appropriate signal
with the MT.

B&H

Sweetwater

Froogle
And a Froogle search reveals boatloads of retailers for the Shure A15AS (switchable -15-20-25 dB)

Local
Additionally, your local musician gear shop probably carries them in stock, and if not will likely order whatever you wish.

Right.  I saw all those.  They require XLR male/female.  I already have adapters for the 1/8" to 1/4", and now I have to also get
an adapter for the 1/4" two channel board patch to xlr, and then another adapter for the xlr out of the attenuator to the two 1/4" inputs on the MT?
I appreciate the pointers, but really, cable > adapter > attenuator > adaptor > cable is a pretty absurd set-up just to get appropriate levels on the MT. 
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2005, 04:48:58 PM »
with the MT.

B&H

Sweetwater

Froogle

Local

Right.  I saw all those.  They require XLR male/female.  I already have adapters for the 1/8" to 1/4", and now I have to also get
an adapter for the 1/4" two channel board patch to xlr, and then another adapter for the xlr out of the attenuator to the two 1/4" inputs on the MT?
I appreciate the pointers, but really, cable > adapter > attenuator > adaptor > cable is a pretty absurd set-up just to get appropriate levels on the MT. 

Hey if your still looking to get some attenuators I've got a couple for sale here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=53560.0
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2005, 05:07:59 PM »

Ah, you don't want to use adapters.  So make your own attenuators from scratch with the connectors you want.  Or modify the XLR attenuators to use the connectors you desire.  Or find someone who will do either of the previous two for you.  Or ask the sound engineer to turn the levels down on the board output.  Or...just use the adapters.

I run an XLR (AES1) out of my V3, into an impedance transformer (XLR-female on input side, BNC-male on output side), then a 75-ohm cable coax cable with BNC female on one side and RCA-male on the other.  The RCA plugs into the MT.  Problem solved.  I just don't see what the big deal is with using adapters.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline potsy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 07:39:44 PM »
i taped a show 2 nights ago (drums and tuba) that was loud, but not super loud, in a small bar.  this time i plugged into the (2) 1/4" inputs instead of the 1/8" (as I had been in the past, with poor results) on the MT.  the levels were alot better this time, and i could actually adjust it so that it wasn't peaking.  i even was able to reboot it with the sensitivty switch on "M" and there was no peaking.  thanks alot for the help guys...i need to try this setup out a few more times to be sure, but hopefully i won't need an attenuator after all.
Sony D8 DAT, M-Audio Microtrack 2496 w/ 4GB Kingston Elite Pro 45x CF, Core-Sound Stealth Cardiods

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2005, 07:32:17 PM »
Well, I took all of those suggestions before I read that post! 
I plugged into a fairly small board last night, Auxiliary RCA outs > 1/4" in on MT, and the levels were quite low.  I used the +25 boost on the MT and got decent enough levels and did some more boosting in Soundforge.  The recording came out quite nicely.
On Wednesday, I used the Core Sound Cardiods > 1/8" to 1/4" adapter > MT, and got very light signals again.  It was a fairly quiet acoustic/vocal ensemble concert.  So I switched to the 1/8" plug directly on the fly and got enough signal to once again make a decent recording so that Soundforge could be used for post-production.  That recording is currently being torrented here:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=69302

At this point, the only distorted recording I experienced was pre-firmware update, while using different mics from the CSCs.  I don't expect to have peak level problems, as long as I come prepared to use the 1/4" adapter, and use the proper line/mic setting.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com