Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dropouts in David Byrne recording.  (Read 6670 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Dropouts in David Byrne recording.
« on: April 16, 2018, 02:53:08 PM »
So I can't recreate it today, but two minutes of intermittent drops. Can this originate at the recorder or card level? 

Thanks!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Dropouts in David Byrne recording.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 03:09:04 PM »
You went!

Happy to read that!

Well done!
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 03:16:35 PM »
So I can't recreate it today, but two minutes of intermittent drops. Can this originate at the recorder or card level? 

Thanks!

It can be at the card/recorder level.  Even though the M10 only supports a 32GB card (Per Sony) I have a 64GB card in mine following the tutorial on Headfi.  I once tried to at 24/96 with it and it was full of bad stuff.  I now record everything at 24/48 and the world is a better place for it.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:53:05 PM »

Thanks!

It can be at the card/recorder level.  Even though the M10 only supports a 32GB card (Per Sony) I have a 64GB card in mine following the tutorial on Headfi.  I once tried to at 24/96 with it and it was full of bad stuff.  I now record everything at 24/48 and the world is a better place for it.

Can't recreate it and ran 24/48 always do. Nbobs and caps and  IPA and deck connectiond jostled on purpose today with no problems. Whole rest of show and opener are clean. ????

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 03:53:45 PM »

Thanks!

Can't recreate it and ran 24/48 always do. Nbobs and caps and  IPA and deck connectiond jostled on purpose today with no problems. Whole rest of show and opener are clean. ????

And ran 32 gb card this is my go to deck fine for 30 plus shows.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 04:31:49 PM »

Thanks!

And ran 32 gb card this is my go to deck fine for 30 plus shows.

Sure sounds like it could be the card, but hard to tell. How full was the card and how often is the card reformatted?
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 04:37:14 PM »
How full was the card and how often is the card reformatted?

This^^

I was just given a HD dash cam and the manual actually states to reformat the microSD card once a week for improved lifespan of the card.  Does anyone actually practice this?  Is this true?

I know that I re-format the SD card on my Mixpre-6 before every show but rarely do on my M10.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »
I haven't reformatted the cards in my F8 and R-05 in months.  No problems so far.   :shrug:
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 04:50:36 PM »
Formatted when I put it to bed during a six month hiatus. Weird.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 05:21:50 PM »
I've had this happen before with a card when I hadn't formatted it and should have.

If reusing a card I'll format it once it becomes full, and I never delete files from the card without formatting afterwards (to avoid fragmentation).

But now that SD cards are inexpensive I typically use them like old school tape media and simply buy new cards once they are filled.  Keeping the filled cards as redundant safety copies.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 07:17:32 PM »

This^^

I was just given a HD dash cam and the manual actually states to reformat the microSD card once a week for improved lifespan of the card.  Does anyone actually practice this?  Is this true?

I know that I re-format the SD card on my Mixpre-6 before every show but rarely do on my M10.

i reformat before i use them. im pretty good about copying the data off asap so never really have anything important on them. also still run older SD at 8GB so have to be a little more aware i guess

oh and I always format in the decks
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 07:47:09 PM »
Could swear that I formatted must have deleted though. Great show shit room at centennial hall in Tucson. Even 50' fob. So not a great recording.

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:05:05 PM by MakersMarc »

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 09:06:31 PM »

This^^

I'll be doing this with my cards every show now. ????

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 09:40:36 PM »

This^^

I'll be doing this with my cards every show now. ????

Doing it every show is probably overkill, but better than not doing it often enough.   With a fresh format, there's less searching around for free sectors to write to since, with a fresh format, all of the sectors are free so they get filled up sequentially.  At least that's how it's been explained to me in the past.

So a couple of factors to remember is that the the fuller the card, the fewer free sectors there are.  Then lets say you delete a show from among a group of shows on a card.  What happens then is that the free sectors can be scattered all over the card, so your recorder has to search around for free sectors to write data onto.  If data can't  be written quickly enough, the recorder has buffer memory that retains the information and writes it when the new sectors are found.  But if the buffer fills up, then the result is drop outs.  A similar thing happens when the card is too slow and can't keep up with the write speed needed for data to be written fast enough, which can happen like maybe if you're recording eight channels at 24/96.  In that case, frequent formats can help as well as quicker cards.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:44:58 PM by fanofjam »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »
^That's my understanding as well, and the basis for my "never delete anything unless I'm going to reformat immediately afterwards" policy.

Anecdotal, but I've had no a card issues since implementing this policy years ago.  I continue to use a card without reformatting until insufficient space remains, at which time I either file it away or wipe it and reformat for reuse. The problems I did have in the past usually happened after deleting files and continuing to use the card, which makes me suspect file/sector fragmentation.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com