Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need some help!  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Need some help!
« on: October 24, 2003, 10:11:36 AM »
Again I am in a dilema...two options:
Oktava 012's > Generic phantom box ($50 or so) > AD20 > MD OR
Oktava 012's > DMIC 20 > CO2 > MD ??

I know that I don't get much respect because i run MD, but I started patching with it  a couple of years ago, I have a home deck so my transfer is digital and it sound good to me. I plan on going DAT but baby steps man...baby steps...so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sterling
Buffalo
 :afro:

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re:Need some help!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 10:17:36 AM »
Why not Oktava > modUA-5 > CO2 > MD?  modUA-5 will cost about the same (maybe slightly more) as a DMIC or AD-20 + phantom.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 10:26:04 AM »
If your MD has a optical in, you can go Oktava>UA5>MD...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

wrangler_n_space

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 10:26:08 AM »
Do you need the co2 if you get the UA5.
What kind of jack does the mini have?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 10:27:33 AM »
I'm sure it's already been discussed ad nauseum in another thread, but I'm gonna ask anyway:  have you considered MC012 > digi-modded UA5 > MD?

Unless I'm mistaken (which happens all the time), the digi-mod UA5 is in about the same price range, maybe a bit higher.  IMO, this setup would provide the following benefits over either of the options you listed:

[1]  possibility for future upgrade to the pre:  either the warm or presence mod
[2]  ability to provide patches out of whichever digital output you're not using
[3]  easy switch from MD to Nomad JB3: no compression, easy transfers, cheap!
[4]  supports 24-bit and 48/96 kHz upgrade plans (odds are you'll get there evenually)\
[5]  supports aud/sbd or multi-mic mixes
[6]  supports sbd feeds without need for attenuators

Just a thought...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 10:45:30 AM »
Wow you guys are quick and you LOVE the UA5! I think it sounds great too BUT...i have a line on a DMIC20 for $260 right now...and I already have the CO2. Further, in order to get the UA5 I would have to mod it right off the bat (either doing it myself-killing the warranty or paying out) so...should I just get the UA5..crap the warratanty? Or should I go with the DMIC20 over the AD20...I just don't have the $400 to give to Oade right now.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2003, 10:47:54 AM »
Or should I go with the DMIC20 over the AD20...I just don't have the $400 to give to Oade right now.

Fair enough.  I think the AD-20 sounds better than the DMIC, but that's just me.  You can also use the AD-20 to stealth if you are into that.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 11:11:36 AM »
looks like you've done your research kid!  kudos!
i've heard good tapes made with the dmic-20, if you've already got a co2 and a line on one (dmic-20) for cheap, i say go for it!  you can always upgrade later if you find the sound doesn't suit your needs.  sure, it's nice to be able to think ahead and buy for the future but financial situations can and will dictate your purchases for now and i think you'd be just as well off completing your rig with the dmic-20 and if need be you can sell it later to upgrade.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2003, 11:52:00 AM »
I just don't have the $400 to give to Oade right now.

Gotcha, gotcha...know how that goes.  I'd still save up and wait a bit for the UA-5 (I really do think it'd be worth the wait).   :)  BUT, if I had to choose...I agree with jlykos and prefer the AD-20 to the DMIC-20.  That said, I've never heard the Oktavas with either the AD-20 or DMIC-20, so...this is strictly based on other mics I've heard with these pre/ADCs.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2003, 12:12:13 PM »
The UA-5 will only be $350.00 + 8 bucks shipping.

Sell the C02 & you'll only need 330 bucks?
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline wbaldwin

• Taperssection Member
  • giddyup!
    • My Trading List
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2003, 12:24:59 PM »
I agree with Bri....

just wait a bit and save up to get the mod UA-5.

It will be worth it to only have one unit that does it all.  I love mine, and I don't even have the pre mod.

I'll have to say that I wish I did though!  Used one with the w-mod this weekend, and I could definitely notice the difference in sound from my oktava's.

Now I wish that I would have waited and saved.....

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2003, 02:00:44 PM »
I have heard some good recording with the octavas>DMIC20 combo and you can still upgrade your mics around the DMIC20, AKG's!!!!! ;)
481(3)>722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com