Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Seeking advice on good stand for stereo bar  (Read 5929 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Seeking advice on good stand for stereo bar
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 12:26:38 PM »
Gaff tape cures a multitude of sins.

I gaff down my spindly carbon fiber stand for my DPAs, but when using the 1004BAC at full height, especially with the 099b as a boom arm, I feel like a weight is mandatory.  Some of the places I record have my stand sitting on a carpeted area, and gaff tape isn't good for holding down much more than cables there.

I think context is important here.  I get the impression from your other posts that you're typically not recording in a rock concert type of setting with all the venue/security issues that often come with it.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For the types of shows I go to where open taping is allowed (rock/jamband stuff), even getting a stand in can be a hassle.  Trying to explain to security why I'd need to bring in some big weight would only make things more difficult, IMO.  It looks like that 1004BAC goes up to 12 feet high.  For rock/jamband stuff, I'd be skeptical of the need to go higher than that so going to measures beyond gaffer tape to secure it shouldn't (again, IMO) be an issue.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »
Collapsible Nalgene 96oz canteen can be folded up and stashed in a bag. Then filled at the water fountain for weight.

Nalgene 96-Ounce Wide Mouth Canteen Water Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BS0AR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_q73iDbR3X32ZS
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:40:22 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 07:43:02 PM »
Gaff tape cures a multitude of sins.

I gaff down my spindly carbon fiber stand for my DPAs, but when using the 1004BAC at full height, especially with the 099b as a boom arm, I feel like a weight is mandatory.  Some of the places I record have my stand sitting on a carpeted area, and gaff tape isn't good for holding down much more than cables there.

I think context is important here.  I get the impression from your other posts that you're typically not recording in a rock concert type of setting with all the venue/security issues that often come with it.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For the types of shows I go to where open taping is allowed (rock/jamband stuff), even getting a stand in can be a hassle.  Trying to explain to security why I'd need to bring in some big weight would only make things more difficult, IMO.  It looks like that 1004BAC goes up to 12 feet high.  For rock/jamband stuff, I'd be skeptical of the need to go higher than that so going to measures beyond gaffer tape to secure it shouldn't (again, IMO) be an issue.

Yeah, I'm entirely classical / acoustic, and my stand is always in full view of the audience.  12 feet up is typical, if my stand is set in the pit and the performance is on the stage.  Sometimes I need to go higher and / or boom out, hence the 099b (and massive 124 boom clamp).  All of my mics and bars are very light, but those other things are not.  I really need the 10 lb weight there.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 01:52:13 AM »
Whichever way you go, there's no shortage of ways to spend money in this hobby.

::adds to signature:: :yack:
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com