Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: success (pc playback)  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
success (pc playback)
« on: June 16, 2005, 08:39:54 PM »
finally got around to setting up my laptop with my vx pocket, running digi out to my bel canto dac2....

I've got a big external HDD loaded with flacs and shns

I'm using winamp for now because I'm used to it and know how to set it up, I'm going to try and install foobar tonight....

what took me so long to do this?

gotta go wireless though, the cables everywhere are a bit unseemly

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
Re: success (pc playback)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 09:07:19 PM »
slut   :P
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 10:25:41 AM »
nicelyt done - it is always fun to get this stuff up and running...

pics..?

the trick is wireless - folks use those apple airport express things, but they dont do digi-out (unless modded, and that is big $$)... you would have to have the lappy, with the digi out connected to the dac, but you could be streaming the files from another outer using wireless...

with the airport, you can stream to usb, and then to a dac that accepts usb (and this guy canmod "all" dac's to accept usb input, but it is lots-o-cash...

that is why i went with a case that fits on the stack - because i need to have the digi-out cable plugged into it...

also, when i bought the case i use, nobody was doing this (three yeaaaars ago). now, you can get a sharp looking barebones kit for under $500 that has chip/mb/onboard usb 2, lan, and digiout sound. all you have to do is install memory, had + os (of course add monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. slap the lcd in the drivebays, and you wil be all set....
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 10:51:46 AM »
I'm going to  use one of those "squeezebox" units from slimdevices I believe for my wireless.... that will give me digi into the dac
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 01:45:35 PM »
I'm going to  use one of those "squeezebox" units from slimdevices I believe for my wireless.... that will give me digi into the dac

how much are those..? you got a link ;) ..?
-macdaddy ++

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 01:55:56 PM »
couple of hundred bucks

dnsacks uses one, so does ethan

http://www.slimdevices.com/

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 02:12:30 PM »
Been considering firing up an old graveyard PC to start doing this, setting up RAID, etc.  Hmmmm...perhaps this thread will serve as a spur to move me forward with this project...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 02:18:31 PM »
Been considering firing up an old graveyard PC to start doing this, setting up RAID, etc.  Hmmmm...perhaps this thread will serve as a spur to move me forward with this project...

misery loves company :P

+t

i want to get the raid thing going sooner than later...
-macdaddy ++

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 02:42:32 PM »
squeezebox is quite nice, but note that it only supports up to 24/48 (and you need to run an 802.11g or faster wireless network for it to run reliably -- no big deal)

edit -- also, at last look, squeezebox only supports flac (not shn), but dbpoweramp allows for easy right-click lossless batch conversion of shn directly to flac.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 02:56:36 PM by dnsacks »

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 02:48:26 PM »
I talked to one of their developers about 24/96 support, even on digital passthrough. They said it was possible and would consider it for a future release.

Brian, when I move up there, I can help you out with that PC project if you're still working on it. I'll be up there this weekend for a wedding and will look for a place to live while I'm up there.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 03:02:40 PM »
heading to chi-town matt? my sympathies :P

;)

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 07:52:21 PM »
couple of hundred bucks

dnsacks uses one, so does ethan

http://www.slimdevices.com/

do they have USB 2.0  in..?

i am about to check out a few things (and probably spend a dash of cash, but there are some REALLY cool usb2 devices out there, and streaming over that is no big deal. like i plug the card reader in, and play the high rez wavs back for a first play (after i have md5'd over the usb2 and then copied the wav i will work on a second box)...

but usb external drves that can read hi rez wavs burned to dvd, or this usb2 IDE drive bay..? f*ck yeah! plug in a harddrive, browse and go! i have stacks of these things (harddrives), chock full-o-goodness...

if i ever build this dream RAID of mine for the permanent archive, this would be a great way to transfer files to it, after i get the thing formatted with all new drives, without tying up my network...

:P
-macdaddy ++

Offline BWolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 02:17:29 PM »
yeah, i got an old box with a motherboard in it and i was going to set up a home "server" with a bunch of drives in it....2 or 3 hundered gig hard drives, a wireless network card in it and install a small version of unix or something.  plug it it, hide it in a closet, and serve away.....:)

endless supply of music right to the stereo, no cords, no hassle
"The best jazz is funky, and the best funk is jazzy" -SMOOTH
------------------------------------------------------
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)
------------------------------------------------------

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 06:56:05 AM »
what I do is have an older and very quiet DELL 933 w/a bunch of hdd space.
I run digi out of that into my Sony 3000es.
no monitor, mouse or keyboard. wireless network adapter is it...then I use VNC to remotely controll the PC and its playlist.
my laptop becomes a giant remote controll.

cost me $0.  built from parts laying around the house.  I do need a better soundcard with 24/96 support.

Offline rustoleum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 08:22:48 AM »
I've got a Voodoo3 that I use to output to the TV.  A wireless keyboard and mouse on the coffee table serve as my remotes.  Since I also use this thing as a PVR with a Hauppauge PVR 150 I plan on finding some software to allow me to utilize the hauppauge remote to control winamp, too. 

Almost there:   Sitting on the couch, surfing through tunes on winamp using a remote control.    Just need to get the DIO I just bought setup and working and I'll be spending a lot of time in that position this weekend.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com