Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4060-4061 Regular, or Core?  (Read 3496 times)

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
DPA 4060-4061 Regular, or Core?
« on: January 01, 2019, 12:14:58 PM »
I currently use either regular 4060's or regular 4061's, depending on the size and probable volume of the show.

I like the idea of the newer "core" version of the 4060's, as the extra headroom might allow me to just use the one pair of mics for all situations.

DPA stuff already sounds so clean to me, I can't imagine noticing the claimed lower THD of the newer "core" mics. But, has anybody done comparisons between older versions of this series and the Core versions? What did you notice, if anything?

Also, I typically have the mics poking through a thick, black, baseball cap. I simply poked holes with a needle, just forward of where my ears are. The holes are slowly widening, so the mics no longer stay put.  How would you guys go about reinforcing that? Little bits of duck tape or similar, over the holes, then poke through the tape? All suggestions welcome.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: DPA 4060-4061 Regular, or Core?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 12:33:08 PM »
I am using the Core 4060s to record classical acoustic music, I do not hear any difference.  But I never get to the sound levels where the biggest impact of the upgrade should be.

You might try a new hat, I suspect that's the cost-effective answer to the other issue.

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 12:41:29 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

I'm always looking to simplify the rig, and at least I know I wouldn't have trouble selling both regular sets of 406X mics on here if I decide to go with a single pair of core 4060's. :)

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 05:09:50 PM »
If you want to try to expand your possibilities, you might consider the following. Choose which pair of dpa covers your needs better and sell ​the second one.  And buy a pair of mics with the cardiod or hypercardiod characteristic. This will give you more freedom when recording.
Maybe my advice is useless, because I do not know if there are electret cardiods that are comparable to dpa. There are great phantom powered mics, but that would mean you must to buy new preamp too to provide phantom power.

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 05:44:20 PM »
Gaff tape is preferable to duct tape but also way pricier. I’d also consider some sort of clips to mount the mics to the hat, more secure than tape alone.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 08:32:47 AM »
Check out “bra mount” clips on eBay. I picked up a set and they work great.

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 10:06:46 AM »
@ilduclo: I hope you are not suggesting I am a bit of a tit. LOL

Ok, but seriously, I'm blind, so could you do me a favor and describe these a bit? Are they a female fashion accessory item that we can re-purpose? How do they differ from the very EXPENSIVE clips and mounts sold by DPA? 

I'm guessing these would clip to the left and right side edges of the hat... does the MIC mount to them, or do you let the clip pinch the mic cable against the hat?
Sorry for all the questions. A picture saves a thousand words and all that. :)

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.207 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com