Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: do you trust 9v batteries from a grocery store ?  (Read 11915 times)

Offline zupanic

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
do you trust 9v batteries from a grocery store ?
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:04:47 PM »
I'm one of those old-school guys who tests 9v batteries with my  :P . I remember as a kid, those things would shock the crap out of ya, and these days even a brand new one barely tingles. I have even spent the extra $ on Energizer Advanced Lithium and they still seem like they are near death. Anyone ever put a meter on these things ?  Reason I ask is I'm questioning whether my 9100 preamp is getting the juice it needs (see my post in the DR-2d thread http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=154697.msg2022020#msg2022020 ). 
I am fairly certain I am using my recorder correctly and I am hesitant to blame my "new to me" preamp for a couple dc offset/brickwalling issues that I'm having since adding it to my rig.
While we are on the topic, can someone suggest the be-all, end-all of 9v batteries to power my 9100 with ?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: do you trust 9v batteries from a grocery store ?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:08:37 PM »
There shouldn't anything wrong with a standard Duracell coppertop or Engergizer. Just avoid the off-brands.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 06:14:37 PM »
I prefer Energizer Industrial and Duracell Procell as my "second choice" (if I have to).   I have *NO* issues with these batteries.  EVER.

You use "crap" no-name stuff (or other brands) and you're asking for problems.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »
On a side note, I've had really good success in a variety of devices with the Kirkland brand batteries from CostCo...  Much cheaper than the grocery store Energizers and Duracells... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline zupanic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »
Well, I always buy the top shelf batteries at my local Kroger grocery store. Regular Energizer is the cheapest I will buy, so I might have to contact Chris and get this preamp looked at. Thanks!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 06:58:28 PM »
Well, I always buy the top shelf batteries at my local Kroger grocery store. Regular Energizer is the cheapest I will buy, so I might have to contact Chris and get this preamp looked at. Thanks!
What mics are you using? how loud is the source? and what level is the preamp set too?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »
Energizer Industrial and Duracell Procell

My 2 favorite batteries.  Werker is another very good brand.  Batteries+ is great; they typically will give me the non-profit discount when I buy a "case".
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 07:38:32 PM »
Typically I would trust any Duracell or Energizers that are in date in my STC-9000 and STC-9200.  I would imagine the 9100 is similar.  My concern is less with what type of battery but when to change it out.  Found that out the hard way back in the summer when recording with a low battery.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 08:22:11 PM »
Typically I would trust any Duracell or Energizers that are in date in my STC-9000 and STC-9200.  I would imagine the 9100 is similar.  My concern is less with what type of battery but when to change it out.  Found that out the hard way back in the summer when recording with a low battery.

You have to watch for 'fake' batteries as well.  Know where you're getting them from.  I generally buy mine from a supplier that deals with TV stations/pro audio (for wireless packs, etc.) because I know what I'm getting is the real deal.

As long as they're genuine, you're good.  You can get a "cheap" battery tester at the dollar store that will let you check your 9V batteries.  As soon as I start to see a little bit of fade on the 3rd bar (meaning 3/3 - full strength), I change them out.  When I used to have a voltmeter (as an audio operator), we'd dump the batteries well before they got to the "yellow part" of the scale; when working in live television, the last thing you'd want is an anchor to lose communication with the director or for their pack to die mid-sentence.  :)

I've always used the same methodology for my battery boxes and preamps -- better to err on the side of caution rather than get burned.  :)

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 11:02:15 PM »
ive had the same 9v energizer lithium in my 9200 for about 20 hours of recording now and still seems to be OK. Thinking the lithium last significantly longer than a standard energizer.  Anyone tracked how long a lithium lasts in one of these units?  I run it on +10db and max volume every time.
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 11:48:31 PM »
I have ran my 9100 for around 30 hrs so far. But when I ran batt tests with regular energizes I got around 75 hrs. I will prob change it out after the next show tho :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline zupanic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »
What mics are you using? how loud is the source? and what level is the preamp set too?

CA-11 cards
Concerts were open taping in small/med indoor venues....amplified acts
Preamp was set at 80-85% for one show which turned out awful. Backed it down the next night to about 45-50% and still brickwalled but not as bad.
Switched to a battery box and internal preamp for the final band and everything was perfect. I'll email you with greater detail once I get out of work.
thanks Chris

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »

CA-11 cards
Preamp was set at 80-85% for one show which turned out awful. Backed it down the next night to about 45-50% and still brickwalled but not as bad.
Switched to a battery box and internal preamp for the final band and everything was perfect. I'll email you with greater detail once I get out of work.
thanks Chris
I am going to say it was not the preamp or the mics.. It was your recorder and even though you had watched the levels if you were running below unity gain on your recorder you most likely overloaded the buffer stage on your recorder. Its very important to run at unity gain or higher. Never below unity gain on your recorders input. That way you are not attenuating the signal before it hits the VU meters. When you attenuate the signal in the recorder, go below unity gain you can fool your self into thinking your levels are safe when they are not. Because you end up using more gain from my preamp to move the meters into the -10 region then you would if you were running unity gain. When your recorder is at unity gain any input should be accurate on the VU meter of your recorder. This is not always the case but when we are talking consumer gear like mine to consumer gear like the recorder you have -10 is the standard for input sensitivity and that's what your VU meter will be calibrated for.

I hope this makes sense.

If it does not let me know.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 02:41:59 PM »

CA-11 cards
thanks Chris
I am going to say it was not the preamp or the mics.. It was your recorder and even though you had watched the levels if you were running below unity gain on your recorder you most likely overloaded the buffer stage on your recorder. Its very important to run at unity gain or higher. Never below unity gain on your recorders input. That way you are not attenuating the signal before it hits the VU meters. When you attenuate the signal in the recorder, go below unity gain you can fool your self into thinking your levels are safe when they are not. Because you end up using more gain from my preamp to move the meters into the -10 region then you would if you were running unity gain. When your recorder is at unity gain any input should be accurate on the VU meter of your recorder. This is not always the case but when we are talking consumer gear like mine to consumer gear like the recorder you have -10 is the standard for input sensitivity and that's what your VU meter will be calibrated for.

I hope this makes sense.

If it does not let me know.

Chris

This is certainly a possibility, but if you read his post in the DR2d thread, the recording level on the unit was set to 98 (of 100, I believe). Not to say it couldn't have been the recorder as the D2-2d has a rather pathetic  maximum line input level of +6dBv, but if the info he provided is correct then it's unlikely the root cause was running below 'unity.'

Offline zupanic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 03:22:43 PM »
yep, ran the DR-2d above unity in both situations on the line in....thus why I'm stumped.
Here is a dumb question...other than the 9100 the only new piece of gear I am using is the 1/8 mini jack cable I got from soundpros...is it even possible that is an issue ?
Sorry this thread has gotten off topic. I do appreciate the battery input from everyone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com